What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020-2021 Bowl Games Thread

College football has always had an intense regional aspect to it. The media people complaining about the CFP largely benefited from that regional aspect for decades and are now killing it in the name of "only the CFP matters." To say it is not the media's fault is really misguided IMO.
Ok. So what next?

Ok. So what next?

You can focus on playoff AND conference championship races. Why the hell wouldn't you? Conference championships still matter. Networks still televise them so stop devaluing your own product and then wonder why a lot of people don't care.

You don't need weekly CFP rankings from November-early December.

Nothing is stopping him or the network he works for from dialing back playoff talk. Nothing.

Fox currently has no vested interest in the CFP because all 3 games are on ESPN. But if it goes to 10 or 12 teams then there'll be 9 or 11 games respectively, and in that scenario it's likely that the CFP games would be split between Fox and ESPN.

You can focus on playoff AND conference championship races. Why the hell wouldn't you? Conference championships still matter. Networks still televise them so stop devaluing your own product and then wonder why a lot of people don't care.

You don't need weekly CFP rankings from November-early December.
So, by saying the above, if media focused more on other games, all would be rosy? I can agree media goes way over board and is a small part of the problem but I can't fully understand why anyone would be upset with this. The playoff was going to create the issue we have regardless if they focused more on conferences championships and everything else. Its the nature of creating a playoff.

Expanding will in nature even further this, but it was what everyone wanted.

There’s an argument that expanding the playoff would create more opportunity for more teams which will lead to blue chip recruits not being so focused on going to the 2-3 programs every year, and start spreading talent out, and subsequently creating more competitive balance.

The current system is broken

Sure that's the current narrative going around now and there's certainly an argument to be made that that's what will happen if the playoff expands, but I think that might be a knee jerk reaction to a system we currently have which offers an opportunity for more teams to win the national championship going into bowl season than we've ever had.

Clemson decided to go full bore with their football program and they got fortunate with an assistant that turned out to be a great coach. And yes their path to the CFP has been made easier by the traditional powers in the ACC being down over the past 5 years, but they've also performed very well once they get there. Ohio State had one of the great coaches of all time and Ryan Day hasn't missed a beat taking over. Alabama was already rolling before the CFP came along.

There's a number of programs out there ready to make the jump into the CFP. USC always has the talent and continually underachieves, but get it together for once and they could easily make it. Oregon is primed for a CFP run next year. Maybe Texas will finally get it back together and stop losing games they shouldn't. Wisconsin has been close a few times. Baylor, hardly a household name, has been on the doorstep of the CFP twice. So have TCU and Utah once each. Hell, we were a win over UW and a little bit of help of making it.

I just think we'd be over-reacting to Alabama and Clemson both being on a great run, and tOSU to some extent. FSU had an amazing run in the 90's, so did USC in the early 2000's. Big programs get on great runs, it's not unprecedented.

So, by saying the above, if media focused more on other games, all would be rosy? I can agree media goes way over board and is a small part of the problem but I can't fully understand why anyone would be upset with this. The playoff was going to create the issue we have regardless if they focused more on conferences championships and everything else. Its the nature of creating a playoff.

College football has never been "rosy." This CFP issue is mostly a media problem.

But I agree with Duff's take that making the CFP has become such a big deal because the media (ESPN in this case) has made it such a big deal.

But I agree with Duff's take that making the CFP has become such a big deal because the media (ESPN in this case) has made it such a big deal.
Yeah, I can agree with that. ESPN has a vested interest in the playoff succeeding therefore will pump up the playoff as much as possible. I am not sure why we thought something else was going to happen.

Expand to 6, maybe 8. No auto bids.
Agreed on the 6 to 8, auto bids, I don't know about that one. Conference championships should count. Will you get some outlier years with that, sure. Here's the deal, don't ****ing lose if you're in one. :D

Yeah, I can agree with that. ESPN has a vested interest in the playoff succeeding therefore will pump up the playoff as much as possible. I am not sure why we thought something else was going to happen.

But ESPN also shows a **** ton of other games. It is in their interest to not tank the ratings of 80% of the games they show.

They did not anticipate playoff fatigue setting in so soon.
They also have dumped so much of their talent in the last couple years.

Most of the people left are what would be described as sports generalist or people who focus on the NFL and other pro sports. Have to wonder how many people they have left who can intelligently discuss college teams who aren't in the top 25 or regular contenders to finish near the top of a P5 conference.

How many ESPN people know anything beyond what they can find on the cubuffs.com web site about the Buffs or know much about any of the teams from the G5 conferences.

Any idea who could replace Kellen Mond at QB next season if he declares for the NFL Draft? That would be most likely someone that Jimbo recruited since I don't recall him being responsible for Mond.
Haynes King most likely, A&M did sign Eli Stowers (CU offered).

Last edited:
They also have dumped so much of their talent in the last couple years.

Most of the people left are what would be described as sports generalist or people who focus on the NFL and other pro sports. Have to wonder how many people they have left who can intelligently discuss college teams who aren't in the top 25 or regular contenders to finish near the top of a P5 conference.

How many ESPN people know anything beyond what they can find on the cubuffs.com web site about the Buffs or know much about any of the teams from the G5 conferences.

Their people who are dedicated to college football are very good for the most part, it's their mainstream talking heads that know close to nothing about the sport and spend the bulk of their time talking NFL and NBA. And their SportsCenter people have degraded to GMA or Today Show types with the exception of SVP. They also have some good talent who are part of the ESPN family but work exclusively for ACCN or SECN.

Their people who are dedicated to college football are very good for the most part, it's their mainstream talking heads that know close to nothing about the sport and spend the bulk of their time talking NFL and NBA. And their SportsCenter people have degraded to GMA or Today Show types with the exception of SVP. They also have some good talent who are part of the ESPN family but work exclusively for ACCN or SECN.
The problem is that the people who get the airtime aren't those people dedicated to college football and they don't make use of that talent they have.

The problem is that the people who get the airtime aren't those people dedicated to college football and they don't make use of that talent they have.

ESPN has become less of a true sports network and instead are trying to become more mainstream, therefore the sports coverage has suffered immensely. It really is sad because SportsCenter was so good at one time. SC used to be must-see TV for me and now I turn on 5 minutes of it on Saturday morning before GameDay comes on and I can barely stand it.

Back