What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I know a kid's family where the kid is in a frat house and they have 30+ cases just in the frat house in Boulder. Parents live across the street. Their kid tested positive last week. My guess is that number of 49 for CU Boulder is way low

Not NCAA related, but CHSAA is possibly going to reconsider. I also saw something about Michigan high school football possibly resuming this Fall as well.

Not NCAA related, but CHSAA is possibly going to reconsider. I also saw something about Michigan high school football possibly resuming this Fall as well.

Wanted to respond to this with a couple of things being a certified high school basketball referee who will attempt to referee at least a bit this winter-and I'll happily step up and start a thread on this in the Pub if we want to shift this topic out of this thread. Polis and CHSAA need to be very, very careful with this for a couple reasons.

One, I think we all need to prepare as if COVID-19 is coming back hard this fall and winter and then hope that's not the case. A couple of reasons for this. Historical precedent. This is what happened with the Spanish Flu in the Winter of 1918. Some of it can be attributed to the return of US troops from the germ infested trenches of WWI, but some of that was attributable to what we consider cold and flu season. Does that mean we're going to see the amount of hospitalizations and deaths we saw this past spring? Who knows. Its also cold and flu season. The common cold comes from a coronavirus. I'm not an epidemiologist-but if the common cold flourishes in the fall and winter, why wouldn't COVID-19?

Two, I don't think you can tell football they can come back and play 7-9 games (I'd say anything less than that is kind of pointless) and have something resembling a state tournament (even if as few as half the districts in Colorado would be ready for a season to start........the week of 10/1 or something like that) and not give the same permission to volleyball (which CHSAA considers to be lower risk than football) or any other fall/winter sport that they delayed.....especially given their supposed pause in sports was supposed to begin 10/17.

I think McChesney's right-but I think his perspective is so football driven that its just as worrisome to me as the inverse. Every fall sport that got pushed to spring has to come back and the winter sports have to start normally or the plan they put in place needs to stay in place.

Last edited:

I knew Texas would play. My brother and his wife moved to Breckenridge and he told me they're playing. He's the head basketball coach, assistant in football.

I knew Texas would play. My brother and his wife moved to Breckenridge and he told me they're playing. He's the head basketball coach, assistant in football.
HS football in Texas is a different thing than HS football in Colorado and almost any other state.

This was a long time ago but I doubt it's much different now.

My HS football coach who was also a full time science teacher when I was in school was hired as the head football coach for a large school in the Dallas area.

He got a significant increase in pay compared to what he was making here, big enough that he was in fact making more money than the principle of the school. He also had no other responsibilities other than coaching. He did teach one class per day but that was because he enjoyed it and wanted to keep his classroom skills fresh.

He also understood that if he didn't win he had zero job security.

HS football in Texas is a different thing than HS football in Colorado and almost any other state.

This was a long time ago but I doubt it's much different now.

My HS football coach who was also a full time science teacher when I was in school was hired as the head football coach for a large school in the Dallas area.

He got a significant increase in pay compared to what he was making here, big enough that he was in fact making more money than the principle of the school. He also had no other responsibilities other than coaching. He did teach one class per day but that was because he enjoyed it and wanted to keep his classroom skills fresh.

He also understood that if he didn't win he had zero job security.
It's hasn't changed really. It's straight up a.football state, has been a long ass time. Funny story, we had these old men that came to every practice, every game, every function, didn't matter what it was. If they didn't show up, they were either sick or dead. We called them the "elders" amongst ourselves. If you had a ****ty practice or game, they weren't shy about letting you know it, trust me.

Last edited:
Having fans in attendance is just irresponsible at this point.

Oh, the hell it is. Particularly if the games are in outdoors venues. Across the country, cases are down, hospitalizations are down, deaths are down. The first wave of COVID peaked in April. The second wave peaked at a much lower level in early August. This thing is over, and people need to get back to living. Even when COVID was raging, the survival rate was very high, except for the elderly. For example, a recent UCLA/Stanford study found the risk of hospitalization for a 50 to 64 year old is 1 in 790,000 and of death is only 1 in 6,670,000.

I don't know how some of you people get through the day.

Oh, the hell it is. Particularly if the games are in outdoors venues. Across the country, cases are down, hospitalizations are down, deaths are down. The first wave of COVID peaked in April. The second wave peaked at a much lower level in early August. This thing is over, and people need to get back to living. Even when COVID was raging, the survival rate was very high, except for the elderly. For example, a recent UCLA/Stanford study found the risk of hospitalization for a 50 to 64 year old is 1 in 790,000 and of death is only 1 in 6,670,000.

Morons gonna moron, I guess.
1599666476227.png

I do love how the conservative viewpoint is now that old lives don't matter.

Cases are increasing like crazy at college campuses though so applying those numbers from the whole country to those college towns doesn’t make sense.

100% agreed this is an absolutely ludicrous perspective. It's somehow irresponsible for a stadium to have 10-25% capacity with socially distanced fans (carefully calculated - see the recent article in the Athletic), but it's fine to have tens of thousands of protestors/rioters locked arm-in-arm for weeks on end? The hypocrisy is mind-numbing.

100% agreed this is an absolutely ludicrous perspective. It's somehow irresponsible for a stadium to have 10-25% capacity with socially distanced fans (carefully calculated - see the recent article in the Athletic), but it's fine to have tens of thousands of protestors/rioters locked arm-in-arm for weeks on end? The hypocrisy is mind-numbing.
The difference is liability.

I will give you a moment to digest that point.

It's not hypocritical to believe that gatherings for entertainment purposes, and gatherings to express fundamental political rights should have different risk thresholds.

This isn't complicated. Nobody should risk their life or health to watch the Buffs play.

But I suppose that people who risk their health and their lives to secure political rights for others are just suckers, losers, and apparently hypocrites.

thanks - you just proved you only want the "COVID rules" to apply in those cases where there is not a political movement you support.
View attachment 39285
If you're this bent out of shape about not being able to attend a football game, imagine how mad you would be if your constitutionally protected rights were being stomped and kneeled on daily.

You little snowflake.

thanks - you just proved you only want the "COVID rules" to apply in those cases where there is not a political movement you support.
View attachment 39285
You caught me: I am against the police murdering people who look like me because of the color of our skin.

What you choose to ignore and has been posted here many times: these demonstrations have not been super spreader events unlike the events held by right wingers. Black Lives Matter has distributed masks and hand sanitizer liberally at these events. Case increases and health care costs from COVID-19 have not emerged from the protests.

Klan/djt rallies and the motorcycle event in South Dakota HAVE caused more cases and deaths.

What you also ignore: football is less relevant than police brutality. That you think police brutality is a political issue makes your opinion lose even more credibility.

It also would seem to show fans in the stands may not be a good idea.

I don't think this example has to do with anything to do with fans in the stands being a good or bad thing. This was one of those things that I for one worried about going into this hurricane season-I read (correct me if I'm wrong anybody who lives in Lake Charles or has family down there) that something like 90% of Calcasieu and Cameron parishes don't have power two weeks after the storm still-which means Lake Charles isn't livable RN basically. You get 200,000+ evacuees (most of which likely headed for Northern Louisiana) this unfortunately isn't a surprise.

I don't think this example has to do with anything to do with fans in the stands being a good or bad thing. This was one of those things that I for one worried about going into this hurricane season-I read (correct me if I'm wrong anybody who lives in Lake Charles or has family down there) that something like 90% of Calcasieu and Cameron parishes don't have power two weeks after the storm still-which means Lake Charles isn't livable RN basically. You get 200,000+ evacuees (most of which likely headed for Northern Louisiana) this unfortunately isn't a surprise.
My inlaws are down there and told me they expect power to be out for two months in some places.

Back