What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I think the point is this-College football players are safer if they've got the structure that a season can provide.

PROVE. IT.

Do you think these college aged athletes are safer doing whatever else they would be doing versus playing football (this includes working out, being around teammates, coaches, staff, etc.)?

Your question is very poorly worded, but to be clear these kids would be safer doing their own thing vs. playing football. If there were any adults in the college football room, they'd be insisting that these football players act like all the rest of the college students: remotely attending class and staying at home, and performing workouts on their own in socially distanced settings. Playing football, where dozens of players are crammed into small spaces without masks, is a much higher risk factor for the athletes AND OTHER PEOPLE WITH WHOM THEY COME IN CONTACT.

And also LMAO at people trying to compare NCAA football players to pro athletes- like you can't see the difference.

I'd respect y'all a lot more if you came out and said what you meant: "I think these kids should put their long-term health at risk because I'm bored."

This cites South Florida and Western Carolina saying we're not giving housing discounts if schools closed.

You’re the one who wrote about massive TUITION breaks. Room and board are not tuition.

Many schools don’t have students on campus at all.

PROVE. IT.

Your question is very poorly worded, but to be clear these kids would be safer doing their own thing vs. playing football. If there were any adults in the college football room, they'd be insisting that these football players act like all the rest of the college students: remotely attending class and staying at home, and performing workouts on their own in socially distanced settings. Playing football, where dozens of players are crammed into small spaces without masks, is a much higher risk factor for the athletes AND OTHER PEOPLE WITH WHOM THEY COME IN CONTACT.

And also LMAO at people trying to compare NCAA football players to pro athletes- like you can't see the difference.

I'd respect y'all a lot more if you came out and said what you meant: "I think these kids should put their long-term health at risk because I'm bored."
This...

You are insane if you think the athletes are MORE responsible than other students. More sacrifices...yeah, but athletes are some of the least responsible students on any campus.
Okay so why were cases so low before students came back to campus then?

Okay so why were cases so low before students came back to campus then?
You can't possibly think you're making a good argument. Were there huge college parties when students weren't on campus? Were there thousands fewer kids walking around prior to classes starting?

You think these athletes are just getting sick because everyone else is being irresponsible? Please. I guarantee you most of these athletes got Covid the same way their classmates did. Going to parties and other social gatherings, like all students do when classes start back up.

Meanwhile on the field.....

Miami is the first P5 team to play this season against UAB tonight. D'Eriq King the transfer from Houston with a pretty good first half especially running the ball. The Hurricanes have some high expectations for him this year. UAB has the advantage of having already played a game.

Canes up 14-7 at the half.

You can't possibly think you're making a good argument. Were there huge college parties when students weren't on campus? Were there thousands fewer kids walking around prior to classes starting?

You think these athletes are just getting sick because everyone else is being irresponsible? Please. I guarantee you most of these athletes got Covid the same way their classmates did. Going to parties and other social gatherings, like all students do when classes start back up.
Actually there were quite a few students in town over the summer they just weren’t all around campus and obviously some went home. You think there is nothing to do up in Boulder during the summer? They handled it great and had like 4 total cases on the football team. Pruitt from Tennessee actually just came out today and said the biggest issue they are seeing right now is roomates who aren’t football players. Normal students can go through life with covid and it doesn’t change anything for them, football players are different.

Exactly. Sports aren't that important that there should be any bitching, let alone the vast amount of bitching there has been.
Sports are pretty damn important to the employees getting laid off and furloughed at ADs around the country. They’re important to vendors, food service employees, groundskeepers, security staff, radio and tv staffers whose jobs depend on sports.

There’s a decent argument to be made whether it’s safe to play or not, but dismissing sports as some luxury we should stop “bitching” about completely ignores the realities of the economics of college sports and the people it impacts (beyond fans).

Carry on.

Do you think these college aged athletes are safer doing whatever else they would be doing versus playing football (this includes working out, being around teammates, coaches, staff, etc.)?
Yes, because they're not locked up in a bubble, as much as some people believe, and they're in close proximity with no masks/distancing plus the general student body. I mean, we had guys going to Vegas.

PROVE. IT.

My question was pretty damn direct.

Why does everything have to be one extreme or another? Can we not find a middle ground that ensures safety and some type of normalcy or is that too difficult for everyone to administer and adhere to?

We have come a long way from March and I have personally seen success in how we can manage this virus in a safe manner.

I'm not claiming whether it is now safe to play college football or not, that is up to the experts. I personally think it can be done in a safe manner (especially with the ability to constantly test now) and if it isn't, then you do what you've been doing until it is safe to do so. I am completely fine not watching football if it isn't safe to do so. You are wrong in that assessment.

Actually there were quite a few students in town over the summer they just weren’t all around campus and obviously some went home. You think there is nothing to do up in Boulder during the summer? They handled it great and had like 4 total cases on the football team. Pruitt from Tennessee actually just came out today and said the biggest issue they are seeing right now is roomates who aren’t football players. Normal students can go through life with covid and it doesn’t change anything for them, football players are different.
Maybe 25% of the student body stays in Boulder over the summer, and that is being generous.

Yes, because they're not locked up in a bubble, as much as some people believe, and they're in close proximity with no masks/distancing plus the general student body. I mean, we had guys going to Vegas.
No football to me means no workouts, no contact, no practicing, no nothing. I don't think that is safer

Maybe 25% of the student body stays in Boulder over the summer, and that is being generous.
Uhhhh I sincerely doubt that. Almost all Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors have house/apartment leases that go year round. Vacations/a few weeks home for some, but I would say your numbers are almost backwards

It was a lot different this year with covid. Kids went home when it went remote and then a bunch came back because they were sick of being there.

Uhhhh I sincerely doubt that. Almost all Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors have house/apartment leases that go year round. Vacations/a few weeks home for some, but I would say your numbers are almost backwards
It was a lot different this year with covid. Kids went home when it went remote and then a bunch came back because they were sick of being there.
NM. I respect your guys position. It’s a circular argument that’s going to go nowhere.

Last edited:
This summer was a little bit different than normal summers, but not all that much. There was a substantial difference in Boulder when school started, just like every other year. Traffic in town, kids on the Hill, kids around town, kids on campus. You can see it happen seemingly over night. Are you guys telling me that these kids are hiding during the summer? Or am I imagining a seemingly tenfold increase in college activity in town?
That’s because freshman weren’t there and classes were still remote so the traffic on campus wasn’t nearly like it would have been. By brother is a junior up there right now and he said most everyone he knew came back for the summer which was very different from last year.

Why does everything have to be one extreme or another? Can we not find a middle ground that ensures safety and some type of normalcy or is that too difficult for everyone to administer and adhere to?

I'm not claiming whether it is now safe to play college football or not, that is up to the experts. I personally think it can be done in a safe manner (especially with the ability to constantly test now) and if it isn't, then you do what you've been doing until it is safe to do so. I am completely fine not watching football if it isn't safe to do so. You are wrong in that assessment.

Okay. So how about this article, from the experts: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/sports/ncaafootball/college-football-myocarditis-coronavirus.html

Clearly, there is no consensus as to the long term health impacts (or even the immediate health impacts!) and yet you want these kids to make long-term decisions based upon what (at best) is an incomplete data set.

you are the one asking for people to be tempered in their reasoning, yet you "personally think" that football can be played in a safe manner with really no data or reasoning to back you up.

All I'm asking is for you to really examine your opinion and think about your motivations here. Why do you want football played so badly?

It’s absolutely insane to believe that no structure, no routine, no testing protocols, no responsibilities, etc are somehow going to keep the athletes safer than all of those things that come with playing.

PROVE. IT. This is your gut perception, yet you say it is insane to believe otherwise. The CDC says to avoid contact within six feet without a mask. Pretty much every health organization worldwide agrees, and yet the sport of football requires many participants to be within six feet of each other, and I've seen no rules that any of these players will be wearing masks.

By the way, I'm glad you decided to jump into the discussion rather than to "unlike" posts from the periphery.

Okay. So how about this article, from the experts: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/sports/ncaafootball/college-football-myocarditis-coronavirus.html

Clearly, there is no consensus as to the long term health impacts (or even the immediate health impacts!) and yet you want these kids to make long-term decisions based upon what (at best) is an incomplete data set.

you are the one asking for people to be tempered in their reasoning, yet you "personally think" that football can be played in a safe manner with really no data or reasoning to back you up.

All I'm asking is for you to really examine your opinion and think about your motivations here. Why do you want football played so badly?

PROVE. IT. This is your gut perception, yet you say it is insane to believe otherwise. The CDC says to avoid contact within six feet without a mask. Pretty much every health organization worldwide agrees, and yet the sport of football requires many participants to be within six feet of each other, and I've seen no rules that any of these players will be wearing masks.

By the way, I'm glad you decided to jump into the discussion rather than to "unlike" posts from the periphery.
What do you want me to prove? That consistent testing and contact tracing Is better than not doing either of those? Ok, seems pretty logical.

That having a structure and routine that restricts, to at least some extent, the amount of partying and socializing is safer than those kids not having that in place to do as they please? Ok, seems pretty logical.

None of it means they can’t get it, but how does it make any sense that they’d be less safe being part of a structured and regimented routine with testing and contact tracing then they would be by living their lives without that? If you haven’t noticed, nobody is under stay at home orders, businesses are opening, restaurants are open, movie theaters are opening. How can you make an argument that athletes playing football are less safe than normal college kids living their lives?

Btw, I sparked this conversation tonight and have been involved the entire time. I “disliked” your post because, like Medford, you tried painting anyone who is questioning football not being played as someone who is simply bored, and that’s bull****.

And when will we know the long term impacts? A year from now. Two years, three years, a decade? Nobody knows.

I have no problem with your position, but I got involved with the discussion solely around sending everyone home is some how so much safer. I completely disagree with that. I think they are in the safest environment they could ever be in during this pandemic. That might mean postponing actual play and continuing what we are doing. I just happen to think we can keep working for a solution in the near future.

What do you want me to prove? That consistent testing and contact tracing Is better than not doing either of those? Ok, seems pretty logical.

That having a structure and routine that restricts, to at least some extent, the amount of partying and socializing is safer than those kids not having that in place to do as they please? Ok, seems pretty logical.

None of it means they can’t get it, but how does it make any sense that they’d be less safe being part of a structured and regimented routine with testing and contact tracing then they would be by living their lives without that? If you haven’t noticed, nobody is under stay at home orders, businesses are opening, restaurants are open, movie theaters are opening. How can you make an argument that athletes playing football are less safe than normal college kids living their lives?

Btw, I sparked this conversation tonight and have been involved the entire time. I “disliked” your post because, like Medford, you tried painting anyone who is questioning football not being played as someone who is simply bored, and that’s bull****.
It's either you're bored or a political agenda. There's your options, so which is it?

You’re actually making his argument for him in this post.

No football to me means no workouts, no contact, no practicing, no nothing. I don't think that is safer
Of course it's safer.
It’s absolutely insane to believe that no structure, no routine, no testing protocols, no responsibilities, etc are somehow going to keep the athletes safer than all of those things that come with playing.
Being around fewer people is safer. That is proven by every outbreak the world has seen.

If it was between playing football or being locked in their homes for the next 3 months, this would mean something.

I actually think you have a good point and one that's impossible to measure but I think it falls apart when we think they just go home if they don't play. 9 kids coming back from a week off at OU proved they don't care about it outside of football.

They are still working out and practicing at CU. Still living in Boulder. Still overseen by the athletic department and coaching staff. Adding travel and real football games to this reality has to increase risk in my opinion.

Are they more cautious if they know they miss games vs practice if they get it? Probably. But I'd guess keeping them on campus working out is the safest outcome of all.

Back