What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 NCAA MARCH MADNESS GAMES THREAD

He's more athletic than siewart. During warmups he gets up there
That's why I'm kind of excited when I know others are not. I think we get Siewert's offensive skill set with much better defensive rotation which makes him playable against all opponents.

Exactly...I honestly don't know what highlights of this kid some of our posters watched. The dude is well above average athletically for a 6'10" guy. Can run, can jump, can shoot.

Why does anyone think he can't defend the the post? He'll likely be 235-240 next year with + athleticism. Last I remember, Josh Scott was a pretty good interior defender despite being a well below average athlete and needing to add serious weight when he came in.

Gonna be quite the day in Birmingham on Saturday with Alabama and Auburn playing back to back. The Houston-Auburn game could be interesting with Sasser being limited and Auburn having a decided crowd advantage.

Gonna be quite the day in Birmingham on Saturday with Alabama and Auburn playing back to back. The Houston-Auburn game could be interesting with Sasser being limited and Auburn having a decided crowd advantage.
Kind of ridiculous the gave the 9 seed a home game in the second round against the top seed

I love Houston if Sasser's right. I think they're the best team this year.

Also - is Houston the top MBB program to have never won a national championship? Them or St. John's, I think. 🤔

Why do AZ, UCLA, U$C, Ore keep beating us with 3-4 guys who are 6'9" + ? Tubelis, ballo, Bona, Etienne, Dante, Ware, Bittle - none of these have guard level skills.

Why can't we run 2 legit bigs AND more actual guards? We can lose some wings. I know Tad loves them, but FFS it isn't working.

ORE is a 1 seed in the NIT (higher than us). UA lost because one of their most dominant bigs only had 1 usable hand. AND was a 2 seed. U$C is a 10 seed. UCLA is a 2 seed.

I don't expect bigs to shoot 3s, that's not what they're there for. Do you want LL shooting 3s?

Another thing...UCLA, Oregon, and USCs bigs were literally ALL 5* recruits
Wait wait, why the **** is UCLA being mentioned as an argument for bigs? They’re an argument for guards. Leading scorer is 6’7”. Next 4 after him are all 6’5” or shorter, including tiny Tyger. Bona is 6’10” and averaged 7.5 ppg in 22 minutes. Their two other 6’10” guys average a COMBINED 2 ppg and 18 minutes. Their guards get most the rebounds too. We’ll have size next year already. We need to add guard and wing scoring.

My bracket when Zona lost to fvcking Princeton...
kramer im out GIF

I think the most embarrassing thing for UA is that it happened despite Princeton having a terrible night from 3pt range. Shameful.

Northwestern salvaging some dignity for the B1G over Boise.

My bracket when Zona lost to fvcking Princeton...
kramer im out GIF

I think the most embarrassing thing for UA is that it happened despite Princeton having a terrible night from 3pt range. Shameful.
I'd like to add that I don't remember the last time I saw an Ivy league team with athletes with that size and talent. Several of those guys have legit bodies and skills.

I love Houston if Sasser's right. I think they're the best team this year.

Also - is Houston the top MBB program to have never won a national championship? Them or St. John's, I think. 🤔

Good topic - OU, Memphis, Texas? That 2008 (?) Memphis team had it won, stll pisses me off considering who eneded up winning. And I still can't believe that Illinois team in the early 2000's lost to UNC.

Good topic - OU, Memphis, Texas? That 2008 (?) Memphis team had it won, stll pisses me off considering who eneded up winning. And I still can't believe that Illinois team in the early 2000's lost to UNC.
Didn't UNC have 4 first rounders (May, Felton, McCants, and Williams)? They were definitely the best team.

Illinois has had some great teams the past 40 years. Must be nice sitting in the middle of the St. Louis-Indianapolis-Chicago hoops recruiting triangle.

Do you remember what CU did to Georgetown in the Dance a few years ago when they had a traditional big who couldn't play on the perimeter?

I'm not at all opposed to having some size. I love the rim protection and 2nd chance opportunities. But to compare it to the NBA, you're much better off if your team is built like Golden State instead of Minnesota as your roster philosophy.
That big Qudus Wahab after we destroyed him, transferred to Maryland, who made it to the second round of the tourney he transfers there had worse stats, Maryland plays worse doesn’t make the tourney, he transfers back to Georgetown who goes back to their old ways as one of the worst power conference teams, and Maryland advanced to the second round without him.

Coincidence I think not

Illinois has had some great teams the past 40 years. Must be nice sitting in the middle of the St. Louis-Indianapolis-Chicago hoops recruiting triangle.
They’ve had such an issue recruiting Chicago tho, rural school. Terrance shannon and top Chicago talent always goes out of state. Similar issue to Minneapolis and Minnesota. Such a talent mine but the local school doesn’t profit

Again with the Hurlburt is not an interior defender. Who's he gonna guard?
The 3-4, same as Siewert
Hurlburt is absolutely an interior defender once he gets in the weight room. He's got the feet & length to front. He needs the strength to keep his guy from gaining deep post for the entry catch and he'll be more than fine. As I've said, I think he'll be a Siewert for us.

Jumping != guarding the post

The only time Siewert played any significant time as a post defender was when Dallas went down, and I don't remember it going so well. He was almost always on the 4 when it was possible to have anyone else out with him.

I agree that Hurburt's offensive game is very similar. I'm afraid that his interior defense will also be similar.

Oh god his feed has been gold all afternoon.

You guys see what UCLA did to UNC Asheville or whoever they're playing? 14-0 right away. Mick Cronin's a hell of a coach.
Cronin is so good. UCLA was so lucky to back into him after missing on their top choices.

The top 2 scorers for Houston:

6'8" 240
6'7" 230

Playing the 4 and 5.

Both outweigh clifford by 40 and 50 lbs. Also, they score more than 2 pts / game.

Have held N. KY only big to 4 pts.

Since you asked.
I'm all about bulk & strength.

Are you saying that you're ok with "bigs" in that 6'7"-6'9" range if they're strong & physical?

If so, I think we're on common ground.

I had A&M in my Elite 8. Fml
They looked so good the last half of the season. Tough draw, though. PSU is a tough team to guard since they're kind of unorthodox and can shoot the rock. I debated between S16 & opening loss, so I split the difference.

I'm all about bulk & strength.

Are you saying that you're ok with "bigs" in that 6'7"-6'9" range if they're strong & physical?

If so, I think we're on common ground.
It's not just size - it's the position / way that you play.

It's whether or not you can body up someone and not let them back you down from 12' out.

It's if you can actually box out someone who is 6'11" and 235.

Evan was a MONSTER - at 6'8".

Gordon was one of the best defensive players in the pac-12 - at 6'9".

But you can be 6'11" 265 and be as soft as a cupcake, too.

Back