What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Colorado Haters Thread

You listed four very valid reasons why people can hate on CU. Then you listed one reason and chose to believe your reason over the others.

That's fine, but I'd simply argue it creates ****ty discourse on a message board. You don't know your reason is correct, and accusing others of racism without any real evidence is just lazy.

It leads to this board being a circle jerk. It's a stereo type of virtue signalers from Boulder. It's microcosm of exactly what a large portion of the country thinks of Boulder.

I suppose you can argue all boards are circle jerks. It's the nature of the internet. But this board's boring, blanket accusations of racism are just the opposite end of the spectrum from r/CFB. I don't see one as better than the other.

I could troll the board and accuse any criticism of Deion of being racist if I wanted. I'd assume like any message board the gameday threads devolve pretty fast, and I like I say, anyone could come here and accuse those threads of being racist.

What I am petty enough to do is come back and make accusations of racism when Deion leaves, especially if he's successful enough to get a SEC job. Because there were numerous posts here that the SEC was racist for not hiring him despite him never having coached a P5 job. Or even a G5 job.

I'd venture to guess a tiny minority here would be happy for Deion. They'll simply accept that the SEC is just a better place, with more resources and a better opportunity for him to be successful and build a juggernaut.

The rest will bitch and moan and claim Deion owes CU something. And they'll show more overt racism than anyone this board complains about.
I think the evidence for Nik's belief is the manner in which Prime is treated differently for similar behaviors to other coaches. Maybe you could offer that he is different, therefore there is no precedent. But the language building around our thuggish team (that's more at a chat site level) and Prime not delivering (all bling and no bang), even though he led the most improved team last season sure seems like a case of "he doesn't know his place". It seems like the Rhules of this world somehow get a lot more benefit of the doubt, even though Rhule says outlandishly stupid ****.

Last edited:
This is better than I could have put it. Thing is, the “4 valid reasons” are reasons why I can’t stand when a lot of white people do it (I’ve listed those individuals elsewhere).

I will also say that I wouldn’t rather any other coach than Sanders at this point in the history of our program…whether I agree with everything he does, or the way he does it.
I love nearly everything he does and the way he does it, for the record.

If you had a carrier CO or a CAG who was right 80% of the time, that would be damn fine leader.

If you read up on unconscious bias, the estimate by psychologists is that it affects 90-95% of people. Seems weird to me to deny how strong of a factor this is in how we perceive the world or to know this but discount it when talking about the reactions to Prime.
Aren’t “bias” and “racist” two different things? I think we throw out the “racist” card way too easily. Overt racism is easy to identify. But when we conflate criticism with racism, I am uncomfortable with that. It makes it hard to criticize Deion when doing so could get you labeled as a racist. Deion isn’t above criticism.

That said, criticizing his program management is one thing and criticizing his cultural proclivities is another. It’s certainly less of a stretch to assume racist motives for the latter.

Aren’t “bias” and “racist” two different things? I think we throw out the “racist” card way too easily. Overt racism is easy to identify. But when we conflate criticism with racism, I am uncomfortable with that. It makes it hard to criticize Deion when doing so could get you labeled as a racist. Deion isn’t above criticism.

That said, criticizing his program management is one thing and criticizing his cultural proclivities is another. It’s certainly less of a stretch to assume racist motives for the latter.
It's more accurate to call it unconscious racial bias or insensitivity than to call it racism much of the time imo.

I think you are overly sensitive to the word racist.

Of all the faults in the White Fragility construct from DiAngelo, the one very valid point is that, "how dare you call anyone racist," is a surefire way to terminate thinking about the real impacts and dimensions of racism.

Two things can be true at the same time. A prominent black individual should not be above criticism, and much of the criticism of that individual may be driven by, or at least amplified by conscious and/or unconscious attitudes and biases of those offering criticism.

As a counter; why do we, as CU fans hate Bradley Van Pelt and Scott Frost so much?
I just can't stand their faces tbh

tumblr_mlzptjNWub1rxvyrgo1_250.gif

breaking-bad-meme-breaking-bad.gif

I think that you deny the existence of racism too easily. That makes sense because your bias (calling pointing out obvious racism a “card”) clouds your ability to see what’s right in front of you.

Racism comes from bias about what certain groups are required to achieve and others are not. Prime is not immune from valid critique. No coach is immune from germane criticism. However, when the standards applied to Black coaches exceed the standards applied to white coaches, it is an obvious example of racism.

For instance, Colorado’s haters (that you say are justified) stated after our 5 point win over NDSU that the game was an epic failure because it was a single digit win over an FCS team. That same criticism has been missing from top-5 ranked Oregon winning by 10 despite being 40 point favorites against FCS Idaho. The list goes on.

You can remain willfully ignorant to this reality and continue to deny because it’s incompatible with your concept of the world. But that doesn’t change the truth of the matter.

After listening to Klatt's 11 minute segment on the game, and the only thing I really agree with him on is the clock management at the end be egregious. I give Prime and Shurmur a pass during the game as it was a designed run and Shedeur checked into the pass. I hated the answer Prime gave in the post game press conference, though. It literally does not matter what the matchup is during that situation. It's simple math that had they just run three times and punted, NDSU would have gotten the ball back with about 4-5 seconds left inside their own 20 or so. Can't happen again.

Most of the rest of what he said was an overreaction, IMO. No mention of strong DL play against designed runs, or halftime adjustments to shut out NDSU in the second half until the end. There are plenty more good to great players on the team outside of Shedeur and Travis, but when they are cooking like that, why go anywhere else? Wonder if he thinks Arizona is a two man show with Fafita and McMillan?

Anyways, I'm hopeful that an ugly win against "just an FCS school" and the criticism they're taking ends up a learning experience and only puts a bigger chip on their shoulders.

Also, I found it funny that he prefaced everything at the beginning with, "Colorado won 31-26, which is exactly what I said would happen... I said they'd win but wouldn't cover...", and then he went in on how bad they were. What did you think "winning but not covering" was going to look like, Joel?
Think he tries his hardest to appear like he's not a homer and sometimes overcompensates doing so.

Also, I found it funny that he prefaced everything at the beginning with, "Colorado won 31-26, which is exactly what I said would happen... I said they'd win but wouldn't cover...", and then he went in on how bad they were. What did you think "winning but not covering" was going to look like, Joel?

He loves the sound of his own voice, let him roll with it.

He is trying to expand his brand. Since folks have bullied him for saying good things about Colorado, he’s now swung the other way by being vocal with his criticism of Colorado.

He is trying to expand his brand. Since folks have bullied him for saying good things about Colorado, he’s now swung the other way by being vocal with his criticism of Colorado.
I did think his criticism of the OL was fair. Only one sack given up, which was on Shedeur, but 30% pressure rate (last year was 36-37%) and still can’t run the ball.

I think that you deny the existence of racism too easily. That makes sense because your bias (calling pointing out obvious racism a “card”) clouds your ability to see what’s right in front of you.

Racism comes from bias about what certain groups are required to achieve and others are not. Prime is not immune from valid critique. No coach is immune from germane criticism. However, when the standards applied to Black coaches exceed the standards applied to white coaches, it is an obvious example of racism.

For instance, Colorado’s haters (that you say are justified) stated after our 5 point win over NDSU that the game was an epic failure because it was a single digit win over an FCS team. That same criticism has been missing from top-5 ranked Oregon winning by 10 despite being 40 point favorites against FCS Idaho. The list goes on.

You can remain willfully ignorant to this reality and continue to deny because it’s incompatible with your concept of the world. But that doesn’t change the truth of the matter.
“deny the existence of racism.” “willfully ignorant.” 🤦‍♂️

Back