What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Fall Camp Thread

Keeler goes out of his way to criticize Colorado Football, which is his right. Deion doesn't have to play with that, though, as seen.
As far as I can tell, every Denver Post writer has gone after CU football since at least since 2002 and I think Coach prime is absolutely right to publicly ask what happened? How did this start?

Not to mention that they would cover Denver Broncos preseason practice with 10 X the excitement of a CU game

Colorado has not been a good road team.

This isn't a road game but it is getting the players to perform someplace that isn't their home field (or practice field.) I like the idea of them having to adjust to a change in routine, a change in schedule, in facility, etc.

It is also good for continuing to build connections and loyalty to the Denver area fans but it does have value in preparing a football team.

As far as I can tell, every Denver Post writer has gone after CU football since at least since 2002 and I think Coach prime is absolutely right to publicly ask what happened? How did this start?

Not to mention that they would cover Denver Broncos preseason practice with 10 X the excitement of a CU game
this is the truth. dp has been hostile since they helped get gb run out.

they were much kinder to Coach Mac and others.

i won't ever forget how dirty they all did gb.

**** 'em all. the best part of all of this will be if CP delivers. all these ****s will be begging for access. keep receipts, coach.

back in the day, both the Buffs and the Broncs would do like mini-barn storming swings throughout the state. i played in a charity basketball game against a handful of broncs and got charged and trampled by an o lineman.

these were like little goodwill tours to garner support in the more remote portions of the state. Coach Mac signed an 8 man football qb and at the time we were recruiting lights out. he lived in my dorm and after a week of practice he decided to try punting instead and played in the nfl.

outreach is good. now with the population so concentrated on the front range they probably really don't need to go anywhere else.... it is a good move. shake some hands, invite some high school coaches, etc.
MacIntyre tried. I think he made sure every football HS in the state got a visit from the program. Tremendous waste of resources because it didn't pay off in any meaningful way.

Prime rarely says a bad word about anybody. But, man, when someone initiates by going at him, a young person, or anyone he's close to in a way he finds unfair or smack talk... he might be the most vicious counterpuncher I've ever seen. Not one to forget a slight that hasn't been settled either, even if it takes years to bring it to a head.

I’d imagine the issue the local media has is Dieon’s lack of accessibility to them. He doesn’t do interviews with the local media unless he’s paid or it’s mandated.

Given that his Coach’s show last season was with News 4, I wonder if they were not able to agree on a deal this season.

One thing I notice about Denver’s local media is that the sports guys and ladies are pretty cliquish. I could see them getting a bit put out with the lack of media access.

DBT, you hit one thing on the hammer. Prime does not give a bunch of reporters the accessibility they once had and feel like they are entitled to have. I do not think it is towards a certain news group, paid, or mandated. Prime has changed the media game in terms of access to those that feel/felt entitled to access. Prime and Co run their own sort of media storm and that it is not a bad thing. Certainly, some/many reporters do not like it. So what? The end game is winning games, progress with the program, and definitely the game is not about making friends in the media. Those guys stab you in the back in a second.

DBT, you hit one thing on the hammer. Prime does not give a bunch of reporters the accessibility they once had and feel like they are entitled to have. I do not think it is towards a certain news group, paid, or mandated. Prime has changed the media game in terms of access to those that feel/felt entitled to access. Prime and Co run their own sort of media storm and that it is not a bad thing. Certainly, some/many reporters do not like it. So what? The end game is winning games, progress with the program, and definitely the game is not about making friends in the media. Those guys stab you in the back in a second.
I have no problem with it when he takes a stance with local media of 'Where were you when the program needed support and attention? But now that access benefits you in a big way and we don't need you, you act like we owe it to you. I don't owe you a durn thing."

I am bothered by the lack of access Brian and Adam get, though. They were here every day covering the program and keeping things as positive as they could. I believe they've earned more access than the other locals. And I love that DNVR is kicking the ass of the traditional local media outlets because Ryan and crew were invested from day one even though it probably didn't look to most that it was a smart business plan to go much heavier on Buffs coverage.

I have no problem with it when he takes a stance with local media of 'Where were you when the program needed support and attention? But now that access benefits you in a big way and we don't need you, you act like we owe it to you. I don't owe you a durn thing."

I am bothered by the lack of access Brian and Adam get, though. They were here every day covering the program and keeping things as positive as they could. I believe they've earned more access than the other locals. And I love that DNVR is kicking the ass of the traditional local media outlets because Ryan and crew were invested from day one even though it probably didn't look to most that it was a smart business plan to go much heavier on Buffs coverage.
To be honest, DNVR created the Buffs pod because it was in their model to cover all things Denver sports, but RK didn’t even care to host it or run it until Prime. They gave it the Jake who is a Michigan fan first and foremost and didn’t really have a clue about CU as a program. Obviously they were right place, right time, and have benefited immensely which is great, but it wasn’t some smart business plan. Without Prime coming, that pod would have 45 listeners per show just like the DNVR Rams pod does

MacIntyre tried. I think he made sure every football HS in the state got a visit from the program. Tremendous waste of resources because it didn't pay off in any meaningful way.
I was coaching during this. It was a valiant effort, but 98% of the programs were like "Hey it's really great you stopped by, but we have absolutely no one on the roster you need to be focusing on and probably won't in the next 4 years either. But if you know anyone at Western or Mesa, could you send them on by?"

Doesn't help either that Colorado HS coaches could be the absolute laziest mofos when it comes to getting their players recruited.

I was coaching during this. It was a valiant effort, but 98% of the programs were like "Hey it's really great you stopped by, but we have absolutely no one on the roster you need to be focusing on and probably won't in the next 4 years either. But if you know anyone at Western or Mesa, could you send them on by?"

Doesn't help either that Colorado HS coaches could be the absolute laziest mofos when it comes to getting their players recruited.
With limited exceptions Colorado doesn't have a culture around HS sports that promotes or expects excellence.

In much of the country (SEC/ACC/B1G for the most part) the community cares about the local HS winning. Kids see sports as a way to get ahead, to go to college and get out of their town/city. A priority is placed on success both from a school level and the individual athlete.

We have all seen the stories in books, movies, even songs about the local team that made everyone proud or the individual(s) who were the local heroes because they made it big. We don't see much of that in Colorado.

My old HS football coach who in Colorado even at a large high school here was a teacher (biology) who also happened to coach football. He did get one extra planning period per day but coaching stipend probably worked out to less per hour than he could have made working a second job someplace.

He was sought out by a HS in Texas to be their football coach, not a teacher who coached but their football coach. He did continue to teach one class per day because he enjoyed it but didn't have to, his job was the football team.

For doing this he was the second highest paid person in his building only slightly behind the Principal and he was the face of the school to the community regularly being in the papers, on TV and Radio, etc.

Part of the expectation was that he send kids on to play at the next level and even had a small number who ended up in the NFL.

I agree that a lot of Colorado coaches (not just football) don't work hard at getting kids opportunities at the next level, it just isn't part of the culture here. It isn't uncommon for schools to have trouble just filling a coaching staff. A few years ago before we had the shortage of qualified teaching candidates we have now it used to be a joke that the first question in a teaching job interview would be "What do you coach?" I had a friend who ended up coaching cheerleading which he knew zero about because his position was the last one the school filled and they needed a cheer coach.

There are exceptions of course. My son goes to a fairly small school but his XC/Track coach over the past couple years has been successful in getting multiple kids opportunities to continue running in college but he works at it year around.

I’m thinking we see 8-10 OL play against NDSU.

When we are inevitably up 35 in the 3rd, why risk injury for anyone of the starting 11?

A few observations from viewing a practice:

- Shedeur looked absolutely fantastic. His accuracy was off the charts.
- Travis Hunter is other worldly, especially near the goal line. Caught 3 or 4 passes for TD's inside the 20 yard line, with good coverage! His body control is super human.
- our 2nd best receiver could be another star, whether it's LaJohntay Wester or Will Sheppard
- To me, the OL looks better on the hoof than the DL. Tyler Johnson, the OG transfer from Houston and UT, is healthy and has a real chance to make a move. He and Seaton are the most imposing physically.
- Top 6 OL appear to be Seaton, Mayers, Zilinkas, Johnson, Tyler Brown and Benson
- Kalil Benson has a shoulder injury, but should be back fairly soon and definitely for the NDSU game
- IMO, the most explosive running back was clearly Brandon Hood
- Top 3 ILB's - Woods, Bentley and Jeremiah Brown is apparently making a move
- I am not overwhelmed with our talent on the interior DL, though Cokes looks much bigger and more explosive. Anquin Barnes is going to be crucial to solidifying this position. Tawfiq Thomas and Taurean Carter looked like JAG's to me.
- Edge looks much better, Okunlola has big upside.
- Biggest worry to me remains up the middle of the defense, though I believe we have a much better DC this year

Last edited:

- Sheduer looked absolutely fantastic. His accuracy was off the charts.
- Travis Hunter is other worldly, especially near the goal line. Caught 3 or 4 passes for TD's inside the 20 yard line, with good coverage! His body control is super human.
- our 2nd best receiver could be another star, whether it's LaJohntay Wester or Will Sheppard
- To me, the OL looks better on the hoof than the DL. Tyler Johnson, the OG transfer from Houston and UT, is healthy and has a real chance to make a move. He and Seaton are the most imposing physically.
- Top 6 OL appear to be Seaton, Mayers, Zilinkas, Johnson, Tyler Brown and Benson
- Kalil Benson has a shoulder injury, but should be back fairly soon and definitely for the NDSU game
- I am not overwhelmed with our talent on the interior DL, though Cokes looks much bigger and more explosive. Anquin Barnes is going to be crucial to solidifying this position. Tawfiq Thomas and Taurean Carter looked like JAG's to me.
- Biggest worry to me remains up the middle of the defense, though I believe we have a much better DC this year
Thanks for the insight.

But Shedeur*

- Shedeur looked absolutely fantastic. His accuracy was off the charts.
Above in gold is spot on. With the exception of Nwankwo, the interior DL group has hit a bit of a wall lately. It might be that the OL is progressing. FWIW, I really like how Loadholt is handling these guys.

Also (and for the cheap seats) OUR LBs ARE NOT GOOD. Same issues as last season, to the T. We're gonna have some real problems again with that group.

Above in gold is spot on. With the exception of Nwankwo, the interior DL group has hit a bit of a wall lately. It might be that the OL is progressing. FWIW, I really like how Loadholt is handling these guys.

Also (and for the cheap seats) OUR LBs ARE NOT GOOD. Same issues as last season, to the T. We're gonna have some real problems again with that group.
I really hope Prime is able to use his connections and influence to help hart land a DC job or something at a small school because otherwise he won’t get rid of him.

Back