What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Fall Camp Thread

First day in pads, Defensive 1s:
CB McKinney
CB Hodge (Hunter rotated in consistently)
S Silmon-Craig
S Sanders
LB Woods
LB Bentley
DE Green
DT Nwankwo
DT Buell
DE Okunlola
OLB McCoy

Huge amounts of rotation on the DL throughout.
How do we feel about our safeties?

First day in pads, Defensive 1s:
CB McKinney
CB Hodge (Hunter rotated in consistently)
S Silmon-Craig
S Sanders
LB Woods
LB Bentley
DE Green
DT Nwankwo
DT Buell
DE Okunlola
OLB McCoy

Huge amounts of rotation on the DL throughout.
Does that put to bed the rumors about Shilo being injured?

Pretty good. I think experience, leadership and reliability is what you need at that position and Shilo and Cam Ron have that. Depth is important because of the risk of targeting penalties, but I think Stoutmire and the new addition, Massey help with that.
Herman Smith is also a guy in that position who should factor in, along with RJ Johnson (transfer from Arkansas). Safety is loaded

How do we feel about our safeties?
They'll be fine. A stronger front 7 typically means less worry for the safeties. The (very minor) concerns right now are: Sanders getting back 100%, Stoutmire making a smooth transition and Riley picking up the scheme.

They'll be fine. A stronger front 7 typically means less worry for the safeties. The (very minor) concerns right now are: Sanders getting back 100%, Stoutmire making a smooth transition and Riley picking up the scheme.
If Shilo takes his game to the next level, which means he has to become more consistent with his tackling (not just looking for the knockout hit) but mostly a better cover guy, he’s going to be an all conference type player and will get drafted.

Overall, our DB group is deep and talented. The roster has undergone a bunch of recent shuffling. Roster has Stoutmire listed at S + those guys above, so I'm not worried. They slotted Colton Hood (he is 5'11" 190, so big enough to play) at DB, hence Stoutmire moved, he is 205. One other guy I have seen listed as both S and ILB is Adonis Forrest. A friend drove him into Boulder and said he is physically impressive. He is listed 6'4" 215. He was #9 S out of JUCO. CU roster had him listed at both positions until just recently, however it looks like he is running with the ILBs for now, but that could change. https://cubuffs.com/sports/football/roster/adonis-forrest/17290

If the Dline plays as advertised, the LBs are serviceable, the back end of the defense should be fine.

Overall, our DB group is deep and talented. The roster has undergone a bunch of recent shuffling. Roster has Stoutmire listed at S + those guys above, so I'm not worried. They slotted Colton Hood (he is 5'11" 190, so big enough to play) at DB, hence Stoutmire moved, he is 205. One other guy I have seen listed as both S and ILB is Adonis Forrest. A friend drove him into Boulder and said he is physically impressive. He is listed 6'4" 215. He was #9 S out of JUCO. CU roster had him listed at both positions until just recently, however it looks like he is running with the ILBs for now, but that could change. https://cubuffs.com/sports/football/roster/adonis-forrest/17290

If the Dline plays as advertised, the LBs are serviceable, the back end of the defense should be fine.

I agree with this 100%, but it can't be ignored that Shilo will likely be in the yellow jersey all year in practice and is going to be game to game for the first few weeks at least, AND Stoutmire is coming off of a shoulder surgery and is already missing time. Depth looks ok on paper, but it could be tested early and often.

Personally, I like the sound of this. If the Dline is special, it will only make the Oline better through tough practices. You bring out the best, by going against the best. Plus, if the Dline is very special, CU's defense will be able to hang in there against anyone.

If I learned anything about last season it was BOB/Lewis' over-selling of the Oline, and the Dline playing catch-up through the season. IMO, the Dline got incrementally better through playing the in season games rather than fall camp. Also, if the Dline is special, the Oline can still be good/great just going against that talent day in and day out. It is not a one or the other.

When CU had great Dlineman in the 90's, the Oline followed suit...

I like the perfunctory, unassuming nature of the comments. No yelling. No accusing. Just: here’s what happened: here’s what that means. Don’t waste a bunch of time on what we know.

I assume the next bit is breaking down film to help improve and understand. That’s where the useful coaching happens, to me. As a “player,” I never wanted all the extra discussions. Just tell me what I can do specifically to improve (with a positive spin), and I’ll work on that, figure it out.

That’s my one knock on the videos we see—tons of the “extra” discussions. But I assume that’s because they show us mostly non-material content. There are been a few tidbits of great tips from HCP and others, which I assume form the basis of what’s going on.

Back