What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Spring Camp/Summer Workouts Thread

An upgraded DL by all accounts. (Nwankwo and Buell made the list if it’s cut off).
This DL has the chance to be special. I was listening to DNVR from a couple days ago and they were going through the pass rushers and they just kept bringing up guys I had kind of forgotten about, but I don't think CU has had an Edge group this deep since the glory days.

Guys like Arden Walker, Taje McCoy, Nikhil Webb-Walker, Keaton Wade, Jeremiah Brown and Brandon Davis-Swain are viewed as depth because they have proven guys like BJ Green, Sam Okunlola, Dayon Hayes, and Quincey Wiggins as the projected starters and primary rotational guys.

I know Wiggins (265), Webb-Walker (275) and BDS (260) are all candidates to play on the interior, but that still leaves the true DE/OLB group ridiculously deep with 3 studs who have proven it at the P4 level.

That doesn't even mention the IDL where Nwankwo and Buell kind of headline the group, but they still have Amari McNeill, Anquin Barnes, Shane Cokes and Taureen Carter. It's hard to fully notice when they trickle in and out over multiple portal periods and a 4-5 month span, but the complete overhaul of this DL group, both inside and out, is nothing short of remarkable.

This DL has the chance to be special. I was listening to DNVR from a couple days ago and they were going through the pass rushers and they just kept bringing up guys I had kind of forgotten about, but I don't think CU has had an Edge group this deep since the glory days.

Guys like Arden Walker, Taje McCoy, Nikhil Webb-Walker, Keaton Wade, Jeremiah Brown and Brandon Davis-Swain are viewed as depth because they have proven guys like BJ Green, Sam Okunlola, Dayon Hayes, and Quincey Wiggins as the projected starters and primary rotational guys.

I know Wiggins (265), Webb-Walker (275) and BDS (260) are all candidates to play on the interior, but that still leaves the true DE/OLB group ridiculously deep with 3 studs who have proven it at the P4 level.

That doesn't even mention the IDL where Nwankwo and Buell kind of headline the group, but they still have Amari McNeill, Anquin Barnes, Shane Cokes and Taureen Carter. It's hard to fully notice when they trickle in and out over multiple portal periods and a 4-5 month span, but the complete overhaul of this DL group, both inside and out, is nothing short of remarkable.
Correct. I don't want to talk too much before we see how do they perform actually on the field, but it's very hard to not be ecstatic about this DL group.

If the D under perform again this year, it will be totally the coaching issue, not the talent issue.

Wanted to make sure this got posted! These guys talk about how unfounded and loud the criticisms got while we have been secretly compiling some really good players and depth. Really appreciate people who actually take a minute or two to look at the additions instead of a couple loud subtractions.

I know it’s not in pads but Green’s footwork has been really impressive. Power, speed, easy to see why he ranks so high in all the metrics.

Wanted to make sure this got posted! These guys talk about how unfounded and loud the criticisms got while we have been secretly compiling some really good players and depth. Really appreciate people who actually take a minute or two to look at the additions instead of a couple loud subtractions.

I know it’s not in pads but Green’s footwork has been really impressive. Power, speed, easy to see why he ranks so high in all the metrics.

Holy ****

One of the highest graded players on the team that I’ve seen. Shedeur has an 88.2 grade and I know Travis Hunter has a high grade at both WR and CB but Jaylen Wester might be our 3rd highest graded player. His brother LaJohntay has a grade of 82.
Going to be interesting to see where Wester ends up in terms of size. If he truly came in at 200, hopefully he’s able to get to 215-220

If he’s listed that high as a “returning LB,” seems like his size isn’t really much of an issue. He was dang good at whatever size he was.

Is he changing LB position or something?
He was at FAU last year. Not a huge deal, but playing LB at this level is quite a bit different, especially against good programs. Simply put, 200 lbs is not really an adequate size to play ILB at this level.

7 preseason All Americans (according to Phil Steele), including QB and two pass rushers, but a 4-8/5-7 and 13th in the Big 12 finish prediction.

PS has had the same method for predicting team quality since the 80s. It used returning production % and HS recruiting numbers. Both of these are increasingly meaningless in the open transfer era. Phil is old and noticeably less engaged and hasn’t bothered to change his system to accommodate the new era.

He was at FAU last year. Not a huge deal, but playing LB at this level is quite a bit different, especially against good programs. Simply put, 200 lbs is not really an adequate size to play ILB at this level.

I think that he is bigger, but if not, I think Wester can be effective if Bentley stays healthy and plays as advertised (I have heard he is now a monster), or another big LB can plays adequately next to him. I liked Wester's film and it showed he can really tackle. The experience (shooting the right gap, staying patient), solid tackling and just being steady eddy, should make our WS ILB less vulnerable.

@TDforTD, thanks for all the PFF info. I see why Hunter did not make it, but he would have easily without injury or the O-woes (the D was on the field a ton). McKinney must not have enough plays (250 min), because I thought I saw of PFF grade on him and it was high. Who knows how CU will fare with a new DC in the pass happy B12, however if these guys stay healthy, I think CU has the best DB's on paper. I'd say entire secondary, but do not know what Shilo's injury status will be. Dline will have to help too and I love CU's pickups there. If it is good, I see more interceptions and turnovers.

Back