What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

It isn't all players by any means, but its a lot, and 4 or 5 schools might be an exaggeration, but you don't end up with 2000 kids in the portal for basketball every year and have a bunch of kids staying put.. CU is on the low end when it comes to portal turnover and even they had 3 kids move on to other schools. J'Vonne and Eddie are at their third school. SO you can make what ever assumptions about it you like.
Sure, absent evidence, absent context, but with a generous dose of strategic hyperbole, anyone can make what ever assumptions they would like to. To what end?

Are Grad Transfers relevant to your concerns about students graduating?

Sure, absent evidence, absent context, but with a generous dose of strategic hyperbole, anyone can make what ever assumptions they would like to. To what end?

Are Grad Transfers relevant to your concerns about students graduating?

This article is dated, 7 years old, but it goes into pretty good depth on the transfer situation. The numbers have only grown since 2017. Like I said over the past couple years there have been in excess of 2000 basketball players in the portal each year. With 315 schools and say an average of 18 kids that's 5,670 total players including walk-ons. 4095 scholarship players. If 2000 or more are in the portal, each year that is at minimum 40% turnover every year, which doesn't include people that run out of eligibility. So there may not be a massive number of 4 or 5 school kids, there is a large percentage that are moving to 3 schools, and as we continue to move through this evolution the 4 school thing will become more regular. Even with the 2 or 3 multi school transfer graduation during eligibility is plummeting to Bob Huggins rates in many universities across the country, because credits don't always transfer and actually obtaining a degree is very difficult if you move even more than once. I don't know the specifics on grad transfers, but there are far more non grad transfers. The fact that this is now a pay to play system, the whole scenario has become a bastardized shell of what it once was. My point was this has become business more than education. If you want to just focus on my hyperbole and exaggeration that is your choice. The fact is the the pay to play system has changed college athletics to a completely different beast. Ask UNLV if they'd like there quarterback under center or in a court trying to get more dollars.

This article is dated, 7 years old, but it goes into pretty good depth on the transfer situation. The numbers have only grown since 2017. Like I said over the past couple years there have been in excess of 2000 basketball players in the portal each year. With 315 schools and say an average of 18 kids that's 5,670 total players including walk-ons. 4095 scholarship players. If 2000 or more are in the portal, each year that is at minimum 40% turnover every year, which doesn't include people that run out of eligibility. So there may not be a massive number of 4 or 5 school kids, there is a large percentage that are moving to 3 schools, and as we continue to move through this evolution the 4 school thing will become more regular. Even with the 2 or 3 multi school transfer graduation during eligibility is plummeting to Bob Huggins rates in many universities across the country, because credits don't always transfer and actually obtaining a degree is very difficult if you move even more than once. I don't know the specifics on grad transfers, but there are far more non grad transfers. The fact that this is now a pay to play system, the whole scenario has become a bastardized shell of what it once was. My point was this has become business more than education. If you want to just focus on my hyperbole and exaggeration that is your choice. The fact is the the pay to play system has changed college athletics to a completely different beast. Ask UNLV if they'd like there quarterback under center or in a court trying to get more dollars.
Maybe 2000 entered the portal? Where are you getting that number?

1000006579.jpg

I see 1296 transfers, 1/3rd grads.

Now that players with an extra COVID year will finally have worked their way through, I think the numbers will take a slight downturn.

If your point is that it's become more business than education, maybe you need to go back to the 80s to have that discussion. Pay for play not only predates NIL, it predates SMU getting the death penalty. Now there's just more light being shone on the situation, which is better for honest individuals and decent institutions.

Why are we discussing this topic in this thread? BOR-ING. GTFO and start a new thread for this.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Back