What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Nice, so the drive and dish for the flush will become the play de jour
Star Wars Doom GIF

CU MBB Exhibition game is next Saturday at 3pm, Football is next Saturday at 2pm

I am guessing the Exhibition Game will be lightly attended.

Wondering how acceptable (or worthwhile) it will be to go to the MBB game, but bring an iPad to watch the football game at the same time.

CU MBB Exhibition game is next Saturday at 3pm, Football is next Saturday at 2pm

I am guessing the Exhibition Game will be lightly attended.

Wondering how acceptable (or worthwhile) it will be to go to the MBB game, but bring an iPad to watch the football game at the same time.
I'm seeing the FB game as 815pm
this Saturday.

Next Saturday is a 2pm football game at Arizona.

This Saturday we play an 8:15pm home football game vs KSU.

The Black & Gold basketball scrimmage is this Saturday at 5pm (open/ free admission).

The exhibition basketball game is next Saturday at 3pm (tix are $10).

Looks like if you aren't attending a game in person you need an ESPN+ subscription to see this team.

The number of games on ESPN+ is really disappointing. I already have it, but that's not going to help pull in casual fans to support the team.

1. only two games tipping off after 7PM on the home schedule (and those are both 9PM) -- that should make some people happy
2. Five early afternoon games on weekends -- currently penciling in plans for 12/21, 1/12. 2/8, 2/15, 2/22 and 3/8 for the "Colorado double" of skiing Eldora in the AM and then rolling into the game. oh, hell yeah.

The number of games on ESPN+ is really disappointing. I already have it, but that's not going to help pull in casual fans to support the team.
I've long feared this program will be buried to the benefit of more well-regarded peers, regardless of how it competes on the court, over the life of this deal with the B12. This TV schedule illustrates that fear.

It's a minor concern, but one that has underscored a portion of why I hated this move to the B12 for hoops. Streaming options for *all* games being widely available is a great boon for the core of the fanbase, but it won't get us in front of non-diehard/junkie eyeballs (and those who care always found a way...). I talked about this a bit on Twitter yesterday, but last season there were 15 non-MTE games on a widely available TV channel. The year before, 13. 12 in '21-'22. Disregard the P12N, sure, but the overall media contract got the hoops program on actual TV pretty often. In this league, it will be easy to forget about this program - out of sight, out of mind.

We're probably going to be lousy this year. Early statistical prognostications have us dead last in the league. But media recognition and branding momentum is inelastic on a wider band -- what gets lost this year will be very hard to earn back when people have to work to watch you.

re: the number of games on ESPN+, the silver linings that I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong):
1. ESPN+ distribution for the 24/25 season is still larger than P12N distribution for the 23/24 season
2. ESPN has the option of "promoting" those games to ESPN or ESPN2 should there be high fan interest in one or both teams that are playing

re: the number of games on ESPN+, the silver linings that I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong):
1. ESPN+ distribution for the 24/25 season is still larger than P12N distribution for the 23/24 season
2. ESPN has the option of "promoting" those games to ESPN or ESPN2 should there be high fan interest in one or both teams that are playing
1) 24.9 mil subscribers reported earlier this year (though that # is trending down). I think I remember P12N was a little under 20 mill in '18 or so? So, yes.
2) Had not seen or heard any particulars on that. I wouldn't be surprised if they could, but they already have a lot of inventory slated -- a number of those are Big Monday and Tuesday slots that they plan out well in advance.

It's an interesting discussion -- would you rather have half your games readily available to the majority of medium-tier cable subscribers, with the other half available to a smaller pool of regional subscribers, or all your games available to a slightly larger pool of premium streaming subscribers, and relatively none on medium-tier cable? I argue the former but am open to hearing arguments.

This is what had to give, unfortunately.

The setup of PACNs was optimal for seeing all the sports played by the Pac-12. It failed because there isn't enough interest in all those broadcasts to support a tv network.

Now our football distribution is much better with no overhead costs, but it's piss poor distribution of every other sport. CU earns a lot more money from this model. It's an unfortunate trade off for fans of CU sports other than football, but the reality is that doing it the other way (broadcast emphasis on "Conference of Champions" and using the network to showcase all student athletes and give great access for fans) is a big part of why the Pac-12 quickly went from the #1 media contract to collapse.

Having nearly 50 MBB & WBB games on ESPN+ is AWESOME! I'm also one who does not subscribe to cable TV and CU's move to the Big 12 was a great move for CU Buff fans who do not subscribe to cable TV. If I want to go watch the other games, I can just go to a bar or restaurant but there aren't going to be many games like that.

Next year with the new B12 Media Rights deal, there will be basketball games on the Fox Sports family of channels though. I have not heard anything about Fox Sports launching their own DTC streaming channel but there is also the new ESPN DTC channel launching next year.

This is going to be disaster. I hadn't read much on TCU, Cincy, UCF and WVU so I was anticipating at least splits with them this year. Yeah, that ain't happening. I was also thinking our front court might be able to hang with a lot of these teams to make up for our horrendous backcourt. After some more research there, that ain't happening either.
This Is Bad Oh No GIF by CBS

This is going to be disaster. I hadn't read much on TCU, Cincy, UCF and WVU so I was anticipating at least splits with them this year. Yeah, that ain't happening. I was also thinking our front court might be able to hang with a lot of these teams to make up for our horrendous backcourt. After some more research there, that ain't happening either.
Oh yea, because the preseason rankings are always right. Tad's teams always finish higher than they are ranked. CU rarely gets any preseason respect. Stop with all the doom

doesn't ESPN+ come with the Hulu + Disney+ bundle now? regardless, no way in hell is this worse than having to cycle through emails for Fubo and Sling trials just to get the Pac network

Next Saturday is a 2pm football game at Arizona.

This Saturday we play an 8:15pm home football game vs KSU.

The Black & Gold basketball scrimmage is this Saturday at 5pm (open/ free admission).

The exhibition basketball game is next Saturday at 3pm (tix are $10).

My grandparents used to drive all over the country. My grandmother would drive most of the time and my grandfather would navigate.

Willis: Okay, Ruth. Get off at the next exit.

Ruth: This exit? Or the next exit?

They never were able to nail down a common understanding of the term "next exit." Instead, they just settled for constant U-turns over the course of their 60 years of marriage.

I would say "The Buffs play K-State on Saturday" and "The Buffs play Arizona one week from Saturday."

I'm stoked everyone else is on the doom train. But it is less fun when it's not just me
Oh yea, because the preseason rankings are always right. Tad's teams always finish higher than they are ranked. CU rarely gets any preseason respect. Stop with all the doom
I looked this up, btw. Tad was 8-5 in beating preseason media poll projections in the p12.

Call it 9-5, with his 1st season in the old B12.

I looked this up, btw. Tad was 8-5 in beating preseason media poll projections in the p12.

Call it 9-5, with his 1st season in the old B12.
That's solid work. Of the 5 misses, did the media predict correctly or did they underperform? If they underperformed, was that becasue they rated them in the top 5? I don't rememeber CU finishing 9th or below too many times.

Yup, CU is probably not winning a game. In fact they will probably remove wins from Tad’s over all record with the horrendousness of this squad. He could actually go to prison for assembling such a rag tag group. Northern Colorado is gonna look like the other UNC when they come to the events center. Probably couldn’t beat Boulder High in a straight up game. Should probably just shut the gym and not play basketball anymore. The pessimism is palpable.

Probably should just wait and see how it looks after they’ve played a few games. A little optimism could go a long ways. They could surprise you.

That's solid work. Of the 5 misses, did the media predict correctly or did they underperform? If they underperformed, was that becasue they rated them in the top 5? I don't rememeber CU finishing 9th or below too many times.

Four of the five have pretty strong reasons as to why we underperformed. One was Spencer's injury year (still finished 4th). Three were because the roster didn't gel ('15, '17, and '23). The fifth was weird -- only really because of that late-season slide into COVID; prior to that they were in contention for the league title. I would argue only one of those was due to gross over-rating by the media -- 2015, the Ski as PG year.

We were picked lower than 8th in the P12 twice -- The first year in the league, when we surprised everyone, and Kin's frosh year (Kin guarantees we finish higher than 9th, and we do!... finishing in 8th thanks to a tie-break...)

Breakdown (preseason coaches poll v final finish):

- '11 (B12) - Picked 9th, Finished 5th
- '12 - Picked 10th, Finished 5th
- '13 - Picked 6th, Finished 5th

- '14 - Picked 3rd (1 1st place vote), Finished 4th -- Spencer's injury
- '15 - Picked 3rd, Finished 9th -- Ski as PG doesn't work, CBI Season

- '16 - Picked 7th, Finished 5th
- '17 - Picked 5th, Finished 7th -- Derrick White Year, Seniors don't gel
- '18 - Picked 9th, Finished 8th
- '19 - Picked 7th, Finished 5th

- '20 - Picked 2nd (Highest in Tad era), Finished 6th -- Karl Dorrell hire leaks during UCLA game, causing losing streak
- '21 - Picked 7th, Finished 3rd
- '22 - Picked 6th, Finished 4th

- '23 - Picked 6th, Finished 9th - KJ struggling with reins, year after Evan leadership void. Soon-to-be-Utah's #34 rides the struggle bus throughout the season.
- '24 - Picked 5th, Finished 3rd

Back