What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

I'm stoked everyone else is on the doom train. But it is less fun when it's not just me
angry episode 15 GIF

dammit I had a dose of optimism but that was ignoring our PG sitch. if things really are as bad as some are predicting I’ll be so confused why Tad didn’t go all in on a transfer PG

dammit I had a dose of optimism but that was ignoring our PG sitch. if things really are as bad as some are predicting I’ll be so confused why Tad didn’t go all in on a transfer PG
I know he went after a few, and there was the HS kid whose name I’m forgetting right now. I just think he struck out.

Anyone go to the scrimmage and have impressions?
Best three players on the floor Saturday night were Jakimovski, Baskin, Rancic. If CU shoots it that well during the season they will score plenty of points. Perimeters had a hard time finding Malone in the post. BD causes problems around the rim, no one really would attack him, but not much on the offensive end. Ruff shoots with confidence and looked solid. RJ and Hammond were solid. Diop and Anderson did not play. Just a few thoughts. Certainly not inclusive of everything.

"They are a work in progress" Tad Boyle

Best three players on the floor Saturday night were Jakimovski, Baskin, Rancic. If CU shoots it that well during the season they will score plenty of points. Perimeters had a hard time finding Malone in the post. BD causes problems around the rim, no one really would attack him, but not much on the offensive end. Ruff shoots with confidence and looked solid. RJ and Hammond were solid. Diop and Anderson did not play. Just a few thoughts. Certainly not inclusive of everything.

"They are a work in progress" Tad Boyle
The one note I said walking into this was if Hammond looks like a stud, we are in trouble. Since we know his level, and unlikely to make a significant jump at this point, that is the measuring stick for me in comparing the other players. (other Basketball studs will have a lot more)

My takeaway was they will possibly be more solid than expected, and will give other teams fits if they can play disciplined and not make mistakes. But they wont be running anyone out of the gym either.

I wasn't able to go but from reading twitter reactions and hearing comments from friends, I heard lots of love for Rancic and Jak from the scrimmage. Malone and Baskin are going to be works in progress.

I wasn't able to go but from reading twitter reactions and hearing comments from friends, I heard lots of love for Rancic and Jak from the scrimmage. Malone and Baskin are going to be works in progress.
Rancic shot well, but got lost on defense some. Jakimovski shot well and was solid on defense. FWIW

KenPom preseason rankings are out. Cliffs notes:

* Colorado is ranked 80th overall.
* We're 13th in the Big XII.
* Big XII is the second best conference behind the SEC.
* 8 Big XII teams in the top 25.
* Houston (1), Kansas (6), ISU (7), Arizona (8), Baylor (11), Tech (15), Cincy (17), BYU (21).
* Projected record of 14-15 (7-13 in conference)
* The only two non-conference games right now that we're projected to win LESS than 85% of the time are Michigan State (33%) and CSU (60%).

EDIT - hit post too soon.

KenPom preseason rankings are out. Cliffs notes:

* Colorado is ranked 80th overall.
* We're 13th in the Big XII.
* Big XII is the second best conference behind the SEC.
* 8 Big XII teams in the top 25.
* Houston (1), Kansas (6), ISU (7), Arizona (8), Baylor (11), Tech (15), Cincy (17), BYU (21).
* Projected record of 14-15 (7-13 in conference)
* The only two non-conference games right now that we're projected to win LESS than 85% of the time are Michigan State (33%) and CSU (60%).

EDIT - hit post too soon.
If we get a win in Maui, I'll be very pleasantly encouraged.

If we get a win in Maui, I'll be very pleasantly encouraged.
There's no way. And FWIW I caught just the final 15 minutes of the scrimmage and everything I've been told, heard or seen is true. The guys who have played at this level before will be okay (Jak, Dak, Ruff and yes even Hammond). The rest are going struggle big time. Malone and Baskin are not D1 ready based on how they played against our guys. I could see us dropping a gimmee Non-Con game.

As Tad said, "I promise we'll get better." He knows what he has.

GIF by People of Earth TBS

But I've been told that it should be seamless for guys to go from CMU and NAIA because Derrick White is a ****ing unicorn.

For what it's worth here are 10 examples of the jump from last year who had pretty good season. None went to the Big 12. 1 was an SEC player but played 15 minutes a game. Jaylen Wells went to Pac 12 is now in the NBA after one season (again an anomaly but there are several examples of this now). Several MWC players.

An interesting example in this list is Blaise Threatt who went from Mesa (was teammates with Baskin) and averaged 11 points, 3.5 boards, 2 assists and a steal a game for Weber State on 54, 35, 70 shooting splits.

There's no way. And FWIW I caught just the final 15 minutes of the scrimmage and everything I've been told, heard or seen is true. The guys who have played at this level before will be okay (Jak, Dak, Ruff and yes even Hammond). The rest are going struggle big time. Malone and Baskin are not D1 ready based on how they played against our guys. I could see us dropping a gimmee Non-Con game.

As Tad said, "I promise we'll get better." He knows what he has.

GIF by People of Earth TBS
jesus christo dude you've gone from harsh realism to full erotic asphyxiation

But I've been told that it should be seamless for guys to go from CMU and NAIA because Derrick White is a ****ing unicorn.
I got into an argument with a guy at our tailgate who kept bringing up all the "small school" transfers other Big12 teams have and how it's no different than our guys. Umm yes, it's very different. A guy who averaged 13.5 and 5 in D2 is not the same as a guy who averaged 13 and 5 at ASU or even 16 and 7 at Samford. And if you don't understand this, I can't help you.

For what it's worth here are 10 examples of the jump from last year who had pretty good season. None went to the Big 12. 1 was an SEC player but played 15 minutes a game. Jaylen Wells went to Pac 12 is now in the NBA after one season (again an anomaly but there are several examples of this now). Several MWC players.

An interesting example in this list is Blaise Threatt who went from Mesa (was teammates with Baskin) and averaged 11 points, 3.5 boards, 2 assists and a steal a game for Weber State on 54, 35, 70 shooting splits.
This is awesome. Thanks!

For the record, I think both will be fine. But I don't think either will light the conference on fire - think solid rotation to solid starter. And that's fine! We need that! But I think that we're going to have some up and down starts from them and I'm very glad that we have a weak non-conf to get their feet wet. I'm just paranoid that there are people out there who are going over the top in their hype and putting unrealistic expectations on them and then when they don't meet them they (and Tad) will face scorn and hatred for something that should have never been expected from those same damn people.

And you know who you are dammit.

I got into an argument with a guy at our tailgate who kept bringing up all the "small school" transfers other Big12 teams have and how it's no different than our guys. Umm yes, it's very different. A guy who averaged 13.5 and 5 in D2 is not the same as a guy who averaged 13 and 5 at ASU or even 16 and 7 at Samford. And if you don't understand this, I can't help you.
According to CMU website Baskin averaged 18 and 8 last season. Its not apples to apples, but, I'm sure you'll find it less then satisfactory.

Also of note here, is that Jaylen Wells didn't crack the starting line up at WSU until mid season last year, in fact I watched them a few times early and it could even be said that he struggled, then really got going later in the year. It may take time, maybe not as much, maybe more, but I think Malone and Baskin will be effective if not above average for the buffs.

According to CMU website Baskin averaged 18 and 8 last season. Its not apples to apples, but, I'm sure you'll find it less then satisfactory.
Career. I like Baskin. But Chadron State and NM Highlands ain't Iowa State. Or Utah. Or CSU, or even Bellarmine...

Career. I like Baskin. But Chadron State and NM Highlands ain't Iowa State. Or Utah. Or CSU, or even Bellarmine...
I can agree with most of this, except I'd say Mines, Ft Lewis, Black Hills, and most of the schools in Texas are probably equal to at least Bellarmine, and UNC, and CSF.
For the sake of argument Colorado Christian University (who is terrible in the RMAC) beat the Dalton Knecht lead UNC Bears in Greely two seasons ago. CCU finished 6-16 in the RMAC that same season. I get its one game, but CCU is a perennial cellar dweller, so saying the entirety of the RMAC is not capable of competing at mid to lower level DI is incorrect. By the time CU gets to league play I think the transfers will have adjusted and start being similarly effective to there previous seasons, I gotta believe that Steve will have them improved physically and playing against BD, AD, AJ, HC and others in practice will get them ready as far as pace. They will probably not be player of the year candidates, but not busters either. Trying to stay cautiously optimistic about their progress. Time will tell.

Also, not that its the same thing, But Arizona Beat CU worse in Tucson last year (97-50) than they beat New Mexico Highlands last season (94-65)

Last edited:
After going through that schedule again, getting to .500 would be great for this season's squad. If we didn't add those D2 & NAIA transfers, we would be totally screwed and be lucky to get to double digit wins.
AP Top-25 released:
-Don’t agree Arizona as 5th Top-10 team in Big12. Not convinced on them yet?
-Cinci Top-20 seems right.
-Getting votes for Unofficial Top-35: Tx Tech, K-State, BYU & Maui opponent Mich St.- not convinced on lack of depth for Tx Tech.
-Glad we’ve got Texas week from Saturday, for closed door game in Austin. We beat them here last year, & good prep for Maui Invite- where we could lose to Michigan St, & beat Memphis’s new roster, & still get Auburn (vs. North Carolina?) in 3rd game! Tough!!!!

Saturday scrimage:
-Julian didn’t look very strong, but started to score some and Tad put him at two.
-RJ seem to get more minutes at Pt Guard, w/ Felix getting plenty of time there too.
-Ruff had killer pull up three in transition, 3 feet behind three point line.
-Rancik had killer jump hook 9 feet from hoop, some sweet 3 pt shots, good rebounds, & surprising toughnesss. Then few turnovers at end of game.
- Dak killer dunk over Malone early on.
- Malone didn’t get as many touches as I would have liked, but was drenched from running hard by end. As 11 guys, meant 1 team didn’t have back-up guy.
- Carrington stretch of looking like best offensive player on court at end of game.
- Anderson & Diop out w/ injuries.

Saturday scrimage:
-Julian didn’t look very strong, but started to score some and Tad put him at two.
-RJ seem to get more minutes at Pt Guard, w/ Felix getting plenty of time there too.
-Ruff had killer pull up three in transition, 3 feet behind three point line.
-Rancik had killer jump hook 9 feet from hoop, some sweet 3 pt shots, good rebounds, & surprising toughnesss. Then few turnovers at end of game.
- Dak killer dunk over Malone early on.
- Malone didn’t get as many touches as I would have liked, but was drenched from running hard by end. As 11 guys, meant 1 team didn’t have back-up guy.
- Carrington stretch of looking like best offensive player on court at end of game.
- Anderson & Diop out w/ injuries.
I’m beginning to think Anderson is made of tissue paper and popsicle sticks.

Back