What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP recommended to expand to 12-team model

This stupid ****ing bowl conversation between three of us has gotten lost in the weeds.
As a college football fan, all I want is as many playoff games on campus as possible. Nobody can deny the atmosphere and games would be WAY better on campus than a ****ty NFL stadium. Throw the bowls to all the teams who aren’t in the top 12. If that diminishes the “prestige” of the big bowls so be it.
This. Ain’t. Happening.

Don't bet on it.
People have been complaining about this for a while now and ratings (outside of last year) have never been better. People have been complaining about CU football for years, yet here you are.

All this playoff does is essentially make it so the teams playing in the Rose/Sugar/Fiesta/Cotton/Orange/Peach bowls are actually playing for something beyond those games

Please reply with an argument.

I feel there will be bowls games outside of the playoffs. If you disagree, please explain why there won’t be bowl games anymore.
You: “Throw the bowls to all those who aren’t in the top 12”

Me: “That Ain’t Happening”.

Bowls will be a part of the CFP.

The major bowls will continue to be part of the CFP. There will still be a place for a lot of the minor bowls, though. Teams outside of the top 12 (eventually 16) will still want to qualify for those extra practices and the fun that goes with bowl prep. I can see a few bowls that cater to G5 leagues suffering, but bowls like the Las Vegas Bowl, who get teams from P5 conferences, will still do fine, IMO.

You: “Throw the bowls to all those who aren’t in the top 12”

Me: “That Ain’t Happening”.

Bowls will be a part of the CFP.
I agree. They will be part of the CFP. Do you think they should be or do you prefer the campus idea like I do? I just think it’s be way more fun on campus.

Haven't read thru this whole thread but my initial reaction is it's probably the best compromise to allow for a mix of conference champions and at-large bids. I wasn't a fan of expansion but would've been ok with an 8-team format without any auto bids - just put in the top 8 highest ranked teams but I also know that wasn't going to happen.

As far as auto bids are concerned, I like that it's the 6 highest ranked conference champs and not certain conference champs being guaranteed a spot regardless of ranking. This might push all the conferences to get rid of divisions and just put the 2 best teams in the CCG, which almost eliminates the possibility of a low or unranked 7-5 division champ pulling an upset and shutting that conference out of one of the auto bids.

I agree. They will be part of the CFP. Do you think they should be or do you prefer the campus idea like I do? I just think it’s be way more fun on campus.
I prefer campus atmosphere. Although bowls have lost a bit of their power over the last several years, they will remain firmly entrenched is at least semi and final rotation for a long time IMO

Haven't read thru this whole thread but my initial reaction is it's probably the best compromise to allow for a mix of conference champions and at-large bids. I wasn't a fan of expansion but would've been ok with an 8-team format without any auto bids - just put in the top 8 highest ranked teams but I also know that wasn't going to happen.

As far as auto bids are concerned, I like that it's the 6 highest ranked conference champs and not certain conference champs being guaranteed a spot regardless of ranking. This might push all the conferences to get rid of divisions and just put the 2 best teams in the CCG, which almost eliminates the possibility of a low or unranked 7-5 division champ pulling an upset and shutting that conference out of one of the auto bids.
I think the group did a great job reaching a point where everybody got something important to them, but not everything. P5, ND, bowls, G5, regular season, etc. That’s rare.

I would have never thought sEC, ND and G5 could have reached such a good compromise.

I was against expansion. Until I saw this.

I prefer campus atmosphere. Although bowls have lost a bit of their power over the last several years, they will remain firmly entrenched is at least semi and final rotation for a long time IMO
I’d be okay with the semis and final in the bowls since that’s how it is now. I just don’t want the quarterfinals in bowls like the proposal has. I think that would suck.

I’d be okay with the semis and final in the bowls since that’s how it is now. I just don’t want the quarterfinals in bowls like the proposal has. I think that would suck.
Agree. Somebody gets a top seed and has to travel to neutral site three weeks in a row. Plus a CCG. Not good for fans.

I think it’s the one tinker they might make.

Not sure what your point is. But all ratings were down for all leagues.
Which suggests that all those people sitting at home during a pandemic found other things to do/watch instead of live sports.

I would have thought ratings would have increased not decreased.

Back