What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado RPI Watch

But with the team being down, I'm not sure the Washington fans bring it as much this year. I could be wrong though.

But with the team being down, I'm not sure the Washington fans bring it as much this year. I could be wrong though.

Hec Edmundson will be half empty and dead. Zero momentum or excitement with that program right now, they're heading the wrong way. Strange that that's seemingly our best chance for a road sweep this season.

USC is in serious trouble against UC-Irvine right now, down 57-47 with 5 minutes left. This is turning into a disaster. I've been a major USC/Kevin O'Neill skeptic and they're doing everything to prove me right and make the Pac look like ****. They have a horrendous record, but they also have played an absolutely brutal schedule. However, a home loss to UC-Irvine would drop them to 4-7 and cement them as one of the two worst teams in the Pac-12, IMO. They lose this and it's quite conceivable they'll be 4-12 after a loss at CU on January 10th.

USC kicked the PAC12 in the crotch.

New tip guys, when you run down the court with the ball, stop jumping with no discernible plan in mind.

USC is toast. 4-7. They go on the road to Georgia next. Georgia sucks this year, but USC's chances of going across the country and getting a road win are slim. 3-7 UGA versus 4-7 USC is going to be a cripple fight for the ages. God bless anyone who pays money to go see that. USC then finishes up OOC play with Dayton. 4-9 OOC.

In the defense of the Pac-12, we aren't the only power conference that does this. Look at the ACC. Boston College is worse than USC. Clemson lost to Coastal Carolina by 23 last night. We all know about Wake Forest and how horrendous they are.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Pac-12 is in good shape all things considered. A top team in Arizona helping to give the conference credibility, and two teams in Colorado and Oregon that have very good resumes at this point in the season.

Even Cal for as little as they've done in big games in OOC, is sitting in ok position from an RPI standpoint.

I'm thinking 4-5 teams getting to the dance is possible.

Yeah, the Pac-12 is in good shape all things considered. A top team in Arizona helping to give the conference credibility, and two teams in Colorado and Oregon that have very good resumes at this point in the season.

Even Cal for as little as they've done in big games in OOC, is sitting in ok position from an RPI standpoint.

I'm thinking 4-5 teams getting to the dance is possible.

Big games coming up. Stanford needs to win at Northwestern and UCLA needs to beat Mizzou.

Friday (12/21) games we care about:

CU hosts N Arizona (4-6)

Stanfod @ Northwestern (8-3)
Baylor hosts BYU (8-3)
Wyoming hosts UCSB (4-6)
Utah hosts CS-Northridge (8-3)
Wazzu hosts Buffalo (4-7)

Fair amount of action tomorrow night, considering it's a Friday:

Obviously our Buffs take on the 4-6 Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. In terms of Pac-12 competition, they've already played @ Oregon (lost 83-73) and @ Arizona (lost 93-50). However, I look at them and I see a gritty team that plays hard, has an identity, and sticks with it. These guys are solid at giving the extra pass to get the open man. Really play as a team. If we come out lackluster, they could frustrate us. They've got a two headed monster in scoring, with Russell (16.5 ppg) and Rogers (15.8 ppg). We've got a big opportunity to dominate them on the glass. If we hit the boards like we should, then this could turn into a big win. Remember that they come from extremely high altitude in Flagstaff, so the whole altitude thing isn't going to get in their heads. However, they have just played games on the 17th and 19th, so they might be a bit gassed, although they do have solid depth.

In other games tomorrow:

Stanford (7-4) travels to Northwestern (8-3). Huge game for Stanford. This is their last chance for a quality OOC win. Stanford is a team that was feeling extremely good about their chances of making the Big Dance heading into the season. A loss tomorrow would drop them to 7-5 (they have played a tough schedule) and would leave them with a tough uphill climb in Pac-12 play to get into the Big Dance, IMO. Big test for them. This is a game an NCAA Tournament team goes and gets.

Utah (7-3) hosts Cal State Northridge (8-3). Danger game here as you can see by Northridge's decent record (although they have lost to UCLA and ASU). Need Utah to not blow this.

Washington State (7-4) hosts Buffalo (4-7). Even Wazzu should be able to handle this Buffalo squad.

Baylor (7-3) hosts BYU (8-3). Simply put, it's time for Baylor to get their **** together. A home loss to BYU is not an option if we want this win over them to be worth something in March.

Wyoming (11-0) hosts UC-Santa Barbara (4-6). Wyoming looks set to continue their undefeated start to the season. They've only played two decent teams (CU and @ Illinois State), however, this is still somewhat impressive if for no reason other than complacency hasn't hit yet. After this, they have one remaining OOC game (@ SMU), before a favorable start to MWC play. Basically, I'm saying it's quite conceivable - if not very likely - that Wyoming will be 16-0 when San Diego State visits Laramie on January 19th. Thank goodness this isn't going to be a "bad" loss for us.

Colorado is #2 in RPI.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

CSU 51, Wyoming is 42. However, Baylor is in the 60's ugh. Murray state, btw, is 15. :nod:

Cal is next after CU and zona... damn, P12 not looking good. need some help. UCLA....

Baylor will climb up the RPI throughout the next couple months. It'll be a lot more valuable victory in March than it is now.

Thank god we got that Murray State win. Unfortunately the Dayton win has turned into a bit of a "meh" type win. They'll be in the NIT baring a significant upswing.

So far, a very good night for us.

Not only did we improve as a basketball team in our own win, but:

Stanford won at Northwestern. Solid win.

Baylor got a nice home win against BYU.

Wyoming remained undefeated by taking down UCSB (held them to 40 in Laramie tonight).

Utah's up 18 on 8-3 on Cal State Northridge late in the 1st half in SLC.

Wazzu is struggling and is about even with a bad Buffalo team in Pullman. This would be an incredibly bad loss if they don't get it together.

Stanford's 70-68 win at Northwestern is big for the Pac. Cardinal improve to 8-4, and most importantly get a halfway solid OOC win for their resume. Northwestern will be in the NIT, and winning this on the road will be a nice boost for them. Based on this, Stanford is more of a legitimate contender for the NCAA Tournament than Cal right now, IMO.

Wazzu is ****ing around playing like **** at home against a miserable Buffalo squad. It's only halftime, though, so hopefully they get their **** together. Not a loss we want for the conference.

****. Utah has blown a huge lead -- up 21 at halftime -- and lost to Cal State Northridge. Utes fall to 7-4. A stark reminder that while improved, they're still simply a poor quality squad.

Wazzu took care of Buffalo in the second half, winning 65-54. Cougs improve to 8-4. The Cougs are a bottom 3-4 team in the Pac, but Pullman is a difficult place to play (for instance, they only lost to Gonzaga by 2 on a last second shot in Pullman). Big game for us because that's a loss we aren't going to want blemishing the resume.

Last edited:
Wazzu got it together. They move to 8-4.

Utah blew a 21 point home halftime lead, getting outscored 49-23 in the 2nd half by CS Northridge to lose 76-71. Pathetic. Utes now 7-4.

Utah blew a 21 point home halftime lead, getting outscored 49-23 in the 2nd half by CS Northridge to lose 76-71. Pathetic. Utes now 7-4.

Horrible coaching. Utah should have called a timeout the second CSN started their run. Instead they just let the lead slip away.

Saturday 12/22 games we care about:

Murray State @ Dayton (I think we want Dayton. Loss won't hurt MSU much, but a win gets Dayton back on right track.)
USC @ Georgia (Trojans need this to not be a sub-200 RPI team.)
Texas Southern vs FIU (This is one they have a good shot at winning.)
ASU @ Texas Tech (Would be a decent road win for a lower third conference team.)
Wofford @ Xavier (Xavier hasn't been very good, but this would be a significant upset.)
Oregon vs Houston Baptist (Please don't **** this one up.)
Hartford vs Marist (Be nice if Hartford can come in at 7-5 to finish non-con with a winning record. They'll get wins in conference play.)
#9 Kansas @ #7 Ohio State (KU blowout loss become less ugly if they win this one.)
Air Force @ UC Riverside (AFA needs wins now if we want them to be .500 this year - this would put them at 8-2.)
Cal vs Prairie View A&M (Please don't **** this one up.)
Washington vs N Illinois (Please don't **** this one up.)
Oregon State vs San Diego (Would be an ok win against a lower half WCC squad.)
#4 Arizona at ETSU (Mark this one a win for the Pac-12.)
CSU vs Portland (Would be an ok win against a lower half WCC squad.)
UCLA vs Fresno State (UCLA winning helps us more than Fresno State winning.)

Saturday 12/22 games we care about:

Murray State @ Dayton (I think we want Dayton. Loss won't hurt MSU much, but a win gets Dayton back on right track.)
USC @ Georgia (Trojans need this to not be a sub-200 RPI team.)
Texas Southern vs FIU (This is one they have a good shot at winning.)
ASU @ Texas Tech (Would be a decent road win for a lower third conference team.)
Wofford @ Xavier (Xavier hasn't been very good, but this would be a significant upset.)
Oregon vs Houston Baptist (Please don't **** this one up.)
Hartford vs Marist (Be nice if Hartford can come in at 7-5 to finish non-con with a winning record. They'll get wins in conference play.)
#9 Kansas @ #7 Ohio State (KU blowout loss become less ugly if they win this one.)
Air Force @ UC Riverside (AFA needs wins now if we want them to be .500 this year - this would put them at 8-2.)
Cal vs Prairie View A&M (Please don't **** this one up.)
Washington vs N Illinois (Please don't **** this one up.)
Oregon State vs San Diego (Would be an ok win against a lower half WCC squad.)
#4 Arizona at ETSU (Mark this one a win for the Pac-12.)
CSU vs Portland (Would be an ok win against a lower half WCC squad.)
UCLA vs Fresno State (UCLA winning helps us more than Fresno State winning.)

I'm not so sure about the Murray State/Dayton game. I certainly see your point about Dayton needing to get back on track. However, at this point, I'm about ready to simply concede that Dayton is an NIT team and that maybe it's better for Murray State to win this, get 30 regular season wins, and seem like a really "marquee" OOC win for us. Food for thought.

Regarding Arizona State @ Texas Tech, this is Arizona State's first road game of the season. Texas Tech is atrocious, so ASU has a chance, but it's a little risky to be playing their first (and only) OOC road game in late December. Good luck with that in conference play.

This is the big opportunity for Kansas to prove that their victory over us was the start of KU being an elite, Final Four caliber team after a relatively unimpressive start to the season for KU standards.

USC @ Georgia is a cripple fight for the ages. UGA is one of the few power conference teams bad enough to lose to USC on their home court...however, USC just played on Thursday night and they now are traveling three time zones to play an early Saturday game. That's simply moronic scheduling, and it makes it tough to see a Trojan victory.

Oregon, UCLA, Cal and Washington should all be safe. They're playing utterly atrocious and hopeless teams. For instance, Northern Illinois had 5 at halftime when they played Dayton. Even Washington should be able to handle that challenge. We all know how bad Fresno State is -- even a lifeless performance from UCLA will allow them to grind out a victory.

CSU has to beat Portland in Las Vegas if they are the legitimate NCAA Tournament contender many think they are.

Air Force will get the road win at UC-Riverside. This is a UC-Riverside squad that lost 70-26 to USC (had 13 points with 5 minutes left in the GAME) and 39-30 to Fresno State.

My hastily put together, completely non-scientific Pac-12 power rankings:

1. Arizona
2. Colorado
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Stanford
6. Cal
7. Oregon State
8. Washington
9. Arizona State
10. Washington State
11. USC
12. Utah

-I think there's a decent chance that UCLA finishes above our Buffs in conference play. However, UCLA hasn't proven anything yet. CU has, by far, better OOC wins at this point. If they beat Mizzou, then we can talk about moving them to 2nd.

-Spots 9-12 is a cluster**** of bad teams and anyone's guess how to sort those 4 clowns out at this point. Washington has looked extremely bad, too, but their talent and coaching is enough that they'll be a notch higher, even in a major down year for them. Arizona State's record is misleading. Tomorrow is their first road game of the season. They've been feeding off of 8 point home wins over the Arkansas Pine Bluffs of the world. A bad DePaul team blew their doors off in Tempe. Basically, dream scenario, ASU finishes 8th, tops.

Last edited:
1. Arizona
2. Colorado
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Stanford
6. Cal
7. Oregon State
8. Washington
9. Arizona State
10. Washington State
11. USC
12. Utah

-I think there's a decent chance that UCLA finishes above our Buffs in conference play. However, UCLA hasn't proven anything yet. CU has, by far, better OOC wins at this point. If they beat Mizzou, then we can talk about moving them to 2nd.

-Spots 9-12 is a cluster**** of bad teams and anyone's guess how to sort those 4 clowns out at this point. Washington has looked extremely bad, too, but their talent and coaching is enough that they'll be a notch higher, even in a major down year for them. Arizona State's record is misleading. Tomorrow is their first road game of the season. They've been feeding off of 8 point home wins over the Arkansas Pine Bluffs of the world. A bad DePaul team blew their doors off in Tempe. Basically, dream scenario, ASU finishes 8th, tops.

Only thing I'd disagree with is UCLA ahead of Oregon. They might end up being a better team then Oregon, but they still haven't beat anyone of note. Oregon's victory of UNLV is likely the biggest true road win in the conference, still. I agree that the bottom of the conference is still not very good at all. Our games against those teams are near must wins.

. They're playing utterly atrocious and hopeless teams. For instance, Northern Illinois had 5 at halftime when they played Dayton. . .

Curse of Ricardo Patton? UNI was his last college gig! Nice to see he left them in the same shape he left CU.

THanks for a great update, CVille. Boy, its fun being a basketball school, with games of importance to the Buffs nearly every night.

Last edited:
Well I was afraid that would happen, the win dropped us a few spots in RPI. We dropped from #2 overall to #4.

Yikes. CS Northridge doesn't even qualify as a directional school. They are like a directional school to a direction school. Utah sucks.

Only thing I'd disagree with is UCLA ahead of Oregon. They might end up being a better team then Oregon, but they still haven't beat anyone of note. Oregon's victory of UNLV is likely the biggest true road win in the conference, still. I agree that the bottom of the conference is still not very good at all. Our games against those teams are near must wins.

Yeah, it's debatable. I felt like dropping Oregon for their loss at UTEP this week. However, they do have that win over UNLV while UCLA has nothing comparable.

Back