What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado RPI Watch

Tad and the boys have the neutral thing figured out. They win far more than they lose on neutral courts against strong competition, which is fantastic. However, they don't have the road game thing figured out. Not even close. We're something like 7-18 in true road games under Tad Boyle. Since the road win at Kansas State two seasons ago, we literally do not have one road win over a decent team. Not even a team that's remotely close to decent. It's a bunch of wins over Texas Techs, Utahs, Air Forces and Cal State Bakersfields. As I've always said, if you want to be a legitimate NCAA Tournament contender year in and year out, you need to get to the point where you're able to consistently beat the mid-tier teams in your conference on the road. That means winning at the Oregon States and Cals of the Pac-12 with a degree of consistency. We're not remotely close to that at the moment. All we've proven is that we can beat the bottomfeeders of college basketball on the road. That has to change soon, and it will. At some point, it's going to click for this team on the road. Hopefully our ridiculously challenging OOC with some nasty road tests means it clicks for us in a couple weeks in January instead of January 2014.

And losing to Arizona State would be a critically bad loss that would put a serious dent in our hopes of being an NCAA Tournament lock and not being in bubble-land. Arizona State feasted off one of the weakest OOC schedules in all of college basketball, got their doors blown off by DePaul (15th or 16th team in the Big East) at home in Tempe recently. Best case scenario the Sun Devils finish 8th in the Pac-12, and 9th or 10th is far more likely IMO. This is a game we really, really need to win because a loss would be extremely harmful, and let's face it, this team hasn't proven they can beat decent teams on the road, so we need to win the road games against the bottom teams to take what we can get. This isn't the old Big XII where you can just hold home court and lose most every road game and usually make it into the Dance with a .500 conference record (the exception being Tad's first team). Simply holding home court in the present Pac-12 won't do the trick. You've got to get well over .500 in conference play if you want to be a legitimate NCAA Tournament contender, let alone not sweat it out on Selection Sunday and get comfortably into the Big Dance.

Last edited:
UCLA up 4 on Mizzou. Would be a nice win for the PAC 12.

Score is 67-63 with 13 minutes left.

I thought Adams should have been called for a flagrant 1 at the end of the regulation, he made no play for the ball.

I thought Adams should have been called for a flagrant 1 at the end of the regulation, he made no play for the ball.

It was close, but I tend to agree. I'm with my dad (Mizzou grad). He wasn't too happy. :lol:

Great basketball game, though. Really fun to watch. And an absolutely huge win for the Bruins and the conference.

Didn't surprise me to see UCLA beat Mizzou at home. It was a matter of time before they turned it on and had a "big game" with all that talent. They're still going to be prone to occasional lapses during conference play, but they're going to finish no worse than 3rd in the Pac, and 2nd might be the safe bet. They start off with a visit from the Bay Area schools before heading out to Utah and then visit the Keg on January 12th. HUGE game for us. We need to look at losing no more than 1 game at home.

Utah beat College of Idaho (wtf?) tonight. Heading into conference play with an 8-4 record, thanks to a cupcake feast. The losses are about to pile up for them as they finish 11th or 12th in the Pac.

Baylor lost at #13 Gonzaga 94-87. No shame in that. You might not need 5 fingers to count the teams that would go in there and come out with a win. Still, disappointing (purely for the sake of our win over Baylor helping us out) that they only went 8-4 OOC. I still think they'll have a successful Big XII season and that this win will look a lot better for us on Selection Sunday.

Saturday's games:

Of course our Buffs (9-2) take on Hartford (7-5). RealtimeRPI projects an 81-64 CU win, and gives the Buffs an 84% chance of winning. Worth noting that Hartford as won 3 true road games already this season.

Arizona State (10-2) hosts Coppin State (3-10). One last cupcake for ASU before reality sets in.

Cal (8-3) hosts Harvard (6-4). Harvard is decent, Cal better not be caught sleeping. Still, Cal has a LOT of work to do in Pac-12 play to get themselves into legitimate NCAA Tournament contention as they lack a single decent OOC win.

Oregon State
(9-2) hosts Towson (4-8). Beavs are below the radar but will prove a dangerous opponent... at times. Inconsistency tends to be a trademark for them under Robinson. I think they finish ~7th

Stanford (8-4) hosts Lafayette (5-9).

Washington (8-4) travels to UConn (9-2). An ugly, concerning OOC slate for the Huskies ends with another likely loss to the... Huskies. Hard to envision Washington cracking the top half of the Pac-12 given how they've looked thus far. ~8th seems the likely bet.

Washington State (8-4) hosts Idaho State (1-9). Idaho State is a strong candidate for the worst team of all 345 in D1. Wazzu will struggle in Pac-12 play.

Air Force (8-2) travels to #14 Florida (8-2)

Colorado State (10-2) hosts Adams State (Non D1)

Kansas (10-1) hosts American (4-8)

Murray State (9-2) hosts Valparaiso (9-4)

Last edited:
Oregon State getting all they want at home against TOWS (Towsen?).

Up only 2 with 2 minutes left.

Sigh. The bottom half of the Pac-12 is just woefully bad. You can't have Oregon State, which had been looking like the 7th team in the Pac, losing to a Towson team that came into Corvallis 4-8. There are stronger RPI scalps this year to get against the top half, but the road trips to the bottom half teams are going to be land mines of potential disastrous RPI losses. Robinson just isn't getting it done at Oregon State. I know it's tough to win in Corvallis, but with their talent level they should have done far better last season, and year after year they continuously do ridiculous **** like lose to Towson at home. Hardly the first time this type of result has happened under Robinson's tenure.

Cal falls to Harvard in Berkeley. I've been a pretty strong defender of them, but at some point you can't keep losing games against respectable teams at home and expect to be dancing.

Washington loses to UConn as well. Not really surprising.

Cal falls to Harvard in Berkeley. I've been a pretty strong defender of them, but at some point you can't keep losing games against respectable teams at home and expect to be dancing.

Washington loses to UConn as well. Not really surprising.

Had a feeling Cal was going to be caught sleeping in this one, mentioned it on here last night. Don't even mention the NCAA Tournament with Cal anymore. Not a chance. Zip. Zero. Nada. They're toast. There's 5 teams remaining with NCAA Tournament hopes (Zona, UCLA, CU, Oregon and Stanford). No one else has even the slightest chance. Cal was looking at a major, major uphill climb before the home loss to Harvard today. Now it's simply nonexistent. Looks like Monty's farewell tour might culminate in the NIT, if they can even make that.

Disastrous day for the Pac-12...and other CU opponents. Murray State lost at home to Valparaiso. So much for that being a valuable win. Not good.

i think Monty's a dickhead but there is still a lot of basketball to play.

anyhoo, Mick Ronson is generally blown away at CU's RPI these days. you told me this watching Rico and Tharp schedule Stetson with my beer and nachos in section wherever on the grad school ticket.

i lobbied for it when we sucked....schedule for the rpi, the rpi matters, and wow!. i take no credit. it has to be.

ain't gonna last but 4 at warren nolan and 5 at jerry palm.

this is Colorado basketball my friends. enjoy it.

Wofford playing Virginia today. That's a big game for them and they've got a chance in it. Probably playing better basketball than UVA right now.

Dayton's at USC tonight on the Pac-12 Network. We only play USC once this year, so I feel OK cheering for Dayton in this one in hopes they become a Top 50 RPI team by season's end.

Wofford got crushed by UVA, falling to 6-7. We need them to make a bunch of noise in the Southern conference. Finishing non-con with a road win at Tulane would be nice, too.

Jerry Palm released his first projected NCAA tournament bracket since preseason.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
In this scenario three Pac 12 teams make the field.
Arizona #1 seed
Buffs #6 seed
Oregon #7 seed
I expect UCLA to be there in the end. This bracket projection was published one day before their win over Missouri.

Would love to be in Salt Lake City in the first round, we would own the home court.

i think Monty's a dickhead but there is still a lot of basketball to play.

anyhoo, Mick Ronson is generally blown away at CU's RPI these days. you told me this watching Rico and Tharp schedule Stetson with my beer and nachos in section wherever on the grad school ticket.

i lobbied for it when we sucked....schedule for the rpi, the rpi matters, and wow!. i take no credit. it has to be.

ain't gonna last but 4 at warren nolan and 5 at jerry palm.

this is Colorado basketball my friends. enjoy it.

:lol: Back then Stetson seemed to bleed in to Elon College, North Carolina A&T, The Centennary Gentleman, etc. etc. etc. In '03/'04 Patton/Tharp would have done better to go get blown out @ Duke or NC, instead of scheduling a road game @ Pepperdine that they ended up losing. That along with the blown game @ Iowa State cost them a dance invite.

Wofford got crushed by UVA, falling to 6-7. We need them to make a bunch of noise in the Southern conference. Finishing non-con with a road win at Tulane would be nice, too.

Went to the Wofford game. They got straight worked. Knew they weren't going to win this one after winning at Xavier. UVA is a well coached team with lots of young talent, when they're on, they're on. Today was one of those days. They're going to likely finish in the top half of the ACC and post a winning record in ACC play. No shame in Wofford losing, but they got owned. Still see Wofford as a contender in the SoCon.

As for CU being a 6 seed, that is the perfect seed. I would LOVE that. It's better than a 5.

Last edited:
Oregon downs Nevada at home on New Year's Eve, 56-43, despite shooting 39 percent from the floor and turning it over 20 times. Beat'em on the boards and at the line.

And with a fresh coat of stank, Oregon St. beats UT-Pan American 84-59.

Back