What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU stadium

Yeah, i the green weenies would be happy with this.
bhnstadium.jpg

Yes, that is a full 100yd IPF between e stadium and the track, Orlando is the lightning capital of the U.S.
20111102_UCF_0182-548x365.jpg

Just listened to the Jack Graham interview on the radio. He basically said he was fired because of the stadium and he disagreed with the numbers that were reported because they reported $24 M collected. He goes on to say it was closer to 45 due to people "saying" they were committed and that they would have had 60 by October which would have easily become $75 M at that point.

Talk about seeing something that isn't there. Pretty amazing how $24 million over 2 years was going to be "easily" $75 million by October. I can't fault his vision, but the reality train left a while back.

Off topic, but I didn't realize the Atlanta Braves are building a new stadium. Turner Field is all of 15 years old. Crazy. Maybe csu could buy it and ship it to Ft. Collins.

You can read the Terry Frei column in the Denver Post today (don't think i'm supposed to link to their site anymore). Reading between the lines from the interview with Tony Frank, it appears that the new stadium is dead in the water unless they can at least secure enough funding for a scaled back version, which is iffy since they will be scrambling to confirm who is still on board without Graham being there. He won't be extending the fund raising deadline.

You can read the Terry Frei column in the Denver Post today (don't think i'm supposed to link to their site anymore). Reading between the lines from the interview with Tony Frank, it appears that the new stadium is dead in the water unless they can at least secure enough funding for a scaled back version, which is iffy since they will be scrambling to confirm who is still on board without Graham being there. He won't be extending the fund raising deadline.

The Big 12 invite is dependant on keeping Hughes.

The bigger conferences are moving away from on-campus stadiums and prefer remote locations to facilitate room for future expansion. Additionally the Big 12 commissioner has clearly stated that stadium proximity to resevoirs is the primary consideration when expanding conference membership.

I don't know... I think that they will scale it back, and take bigger financial risks to make the scaled back version happen. He's talking about new bond schemes and pulling money from student fees and the general fund.

The Big 12 invite is dependant on keeping Hughes.

The bigger conferences are moving away from on-campus stadiums and prefer remote locations to facilitate room for future expansion. Additionally the Big 12 commissioner has clearly stated that stadium proximity to resevoirs is the primary consideration when expanding conference membership.

Always a silver lining! Very good channeling of ram fan.

Yeah, i the green weenies would be happy with this.
bhnstadium.jpg

Yes, that is a full 100yd IPF between e stadium and the track, Orlando is the lightning capital of the U.S.
20111102_UCF_0182-548x365.jpg

That's a great looking facility. And you're right, that would be perfect in Ft. Collins. How many does that hold? I'm guessing around 35K. That's still probably about 5K more than they need in the Fort, but it would be easily expandable if the demand ever got to be enough.

UCF's stadium holds 45K

OK. Way bigger than I estimated. Also way bigger than what CSU needs.

From the sound of things, the CSU stadium is DOA at this point anyway. Even a scaled back version is unlikely. Man, they really screwed the pooch up there. What a mess.

OK. Way bigger than I estimated. Also way bigger than what CSU needs.

From the sound of things, the CSU stadium is DOA at this point anyway. Even a scaled back version is unlikely. Man, they really screwed the pooch up there. What a mess.

Build it like the stadium above, with one or both of the endzones open. Make it easy and logical to fill in at a later date. Build the stadium for 100mil and move on. The more they push this thing, the more I am worried what they are going to do to the viability of the school as a whole.

Build it like the stadium above, with one or both of the endzones open. Make it easy and logical to fill in at a later date. Build the stadium for 100mil and move on. The more they push this thing, the more I am worried what they are going to do to the viability of the school as a whole.

60 mil would probably be more realistic at this point.

This High School stadium cost $60M

557061_384145418307523_43660984_n.jpg

Seats 18,000

Replace some of the buildings surrounding it wit seats and get it to around 25000 and I think CSU would be set for a little while.

Last edited:

I posted this last night, and the ones in this list would be much more appropriate for them except for UCF and Houston because those are too big for what they need:

UCF - 45K, $55 million, Opened 2007
Akron - 30K, $61 million, Opened 2009
Florida Atlantic - 29K, $70 million, Opened 2011
North Texas - 30K, $78 million, Opened 2011
UNC-Charlotte - 15K, $45 million, Opened 2013 (can be easily expanded to 40K)
Tulane - 30K, $75 million, Opening this season
Houston - 40K, $120 million, Opening this season

The UCF stadium may be a touch large at 45k, but at $55M, it looks like a bargain. It does look a little lite on the luxury boxes, which is where much of the revenue is these days (cue jokes about what is luxurious to a goat). I've generally thought that CSU should just make some minor modifications to this design and go for it (30K, $78M):
univ-north-texas-apogee-stadium-4-1200x466.jpg

univ-north-texas-apogee-stadium-2-1200x466.jpg

univ-north-texas-apogee-stadium-1-1200x4661-1200x466.jpg

The corners could be filled in pretty inexpensively in the future to add an additional 7-12K capacity, and additional luxury boxes and/or a 2nd deck could be added on the opposite side at some point if they ever really needed to expand.

They average less than 20k a game, and probably really less than 15K. This is all they need. For the really big games they could just add some temporary bleachers.

Rogers-School-District-High-School-Football-Stadium-2.jpg

I posted this last night, and the ones in this list would be much more appropriate for them except for UCF and Houston because those are too big for what they need:

UCF - 45K, $55 million, Opened 2007
Akron - 30K, $61 million, Opened 2009
Florida Atlantic - 29K, $70 million, Opened 2011
North Texas - 30K, $78 million, Opened 2011
UNC-Charlotte - 15K, $45 million, Opened 2013 (can be easily expanded to 40K)
Tulane - 30K, $75 million, Opening this season
Houston - 40K, $120 million, Opening this season

How does UCF build a 45K stadium for $55MM? I realize that was 8 years ago, but damn. That's a freaking bargain.

How does UCF build a 45K stadium for $55MM? I realize that was 8 years ago, but damn. That's a freaking bargain.

Real Estate costs in central Florida are low. Same with Texas as it relates to the UNT project. Also, labor costs are a lot lower due to not having state income taxes and being able to pay less as a direct result. Also, not heavily regulated states. I think that labor conditions & property values are as big of a reason why these projects are happening more often in the South as the popularity of college football in the region.

UCF may have also benefited from some specific deals and concessions. They've been building like crazy on that campus (football stadium, basketball arena, student housing, etc.). I think FlaBuff was right and that the Big 12, if it goes to 12 teams, will expand through UCF and USF.

Heard this morning clips from an interview that Jack Graham did yesterday on KOA.

Sounds like the big disagreement came from the administration of the school only being willing to count the $20 million in donations that were either already made or in some way secured. Graham claimed he had $45 million including promises from people via E-mail, letters, verbally, etc. but that had not yet been solidified.

On the reasonable scale I would side with the administration on this one. You don't spend money until you have a solid idea that you will have it to spend.

He may have had another $25 million but if even 1/3 of that didn't come through it would leave them at about $36 million or roughly 1/3 of the year end target after over 1 1/2 years of fundraising.

I don't see how Tony Frank had much option if Graham wasn't willing to look at other less costly possibilities.

FlaBuff has mentioned this before but I believe he basically said it was pretty much a no-frills stadium with no fancy architecture but yet very functional.

Some of you out there that know a lot more than I do about this are invited to comment or correct but I would imagine that in addition to the factors Nik mentioned there are some other major savings as well.

Brainstorming here but plumbing systems don't need to be winterized or protected from freezing, you don't have to account for freezing soils or ice and snow loads, maybe some others as well.

Doesn't sound like much but on big projects little things can turn into millions of dollars fairly easily.

Some of you out there that know a lot more than I do about this are invited to comment or correct but I would imagine that in addition to the factors Nik mentioned there are some other major savings as well.

Brainstorming here but plumbing systems don't need to be winterized or protected from freezing, you don't have to account for freezing soils or ice and snow loads, maybe some others as well.

Doesn't sound like much but on big projects little things can turn into millions of dollars fairly easily.

Sheep fan wants more details about this "plumbing" you speak of.

Heard this morning clips from an interview that Jack Graham did yesterday on KOA.

Sounds like the big disagreement came from the administration of the school only being willing to count the $20 million in donations that were either already made or in some way secured. Graham claimed he had $45 million including promises from people via E-mail, letters, verbally, etc. but that had not yet been solidified.

On the reasonable scale I would side with the administration on this one. You don't spend money until you have a solid idea that you will have it to spend.

He may have had another $25 million but if even 1/3 of that didn't come through it would leave them at about $36 million or roughly 1/3 of the year end target after over 1 1/2 years of fundraising.

I don't see how Tony Frank had much option if Graham wasn't willing to look at other less costly possibilities.

Tony Frank responded and said that he never moved off $110 million as the official number for what needed to be raised in order to start the project that Graham envisioned.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/...t-tony-frank-considers-options-campus-stadium

Real Estate costs in central Florida are low. Same with Texas as it relates to the UNT project. Also, labor costs are a lot lower due to not having state income taxes and being able to pay less as a direct result. Also, not heavily regulated states. I think that labor conditions & property values are as big of a reason why these projects are happening more often in the South as the popularity of college football in the region.

UCF may have also benefited from some specific deals and concessions. They've been building like crazy on that campus (football stadium, basketball arena, student housing, etc.). I think FlaBuff was right and that the Big 12, if it goes to 12 teams, will expand through UCF and USF.

Real estate values are irrelevant to construction cost unless they had to go out and buy the land first. If that were the case, then $55MM would be not only a good deal, it would be a screaming deal. Chances are that the University already owned the land. The $55MM figure is hard cost. As for labor, I can buy there being a difference in cost, but not that substantial. I suspect it may have had more to do with some value engineering on the part of the school. Not a lot of bells and whistles. Just a nice, clean facility. Somebody pointed out the lack of luxury boxes. Those things add a lot of cost to a project.

Back