What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

When it is a matter of survival in the new world of college football then yes if they can get enough schools to go along contracts can be broken. To do what I am talking about would involve a majority of the ACC. They would be leaving behind some schools but it wouldn't just be 4-5 schools going. Same situation with the PAC. There would be some schools left behind but it would allow most to survive.

In this situation yes dissolving the conference agreements would be a possible step.

If they see the alternative as becoming one step above G5 strange things can happen.

By the way USC and UCLA, just like Texas and Oklahoma had contracts with their conferences and what happened with them.
SC, UCLA, UT and OU had 2 years left on their media contracts that all 4 are remaining with their respective conferences until they expire (OU and UT might leave 1 year early). The ACC has 14 years left, a $120m exit fee PER SCHOOL, and a GOR contract that states they would give up 100% of their future media rights revenue through the duration of the current ACC contract.

If Clemson wants to leave, it's $120m + $100m (assumed SEC per team amount) PER YEAR, for the next 14 years. That's $1.4B + $120m = $1.52B that Clemson alone would owe the ACC. If those 5 ACC programs decide to leave, they would collectively owe the ACC over $7B.

There is a reason those GOR haven't been broken and the conversation about realignment has essentially stopped talking about those schools outside of a potential Pac10/ACC scheduling alliance.

this is inaccurate--- the 4 departed above timed with the expiration of their GoR.

the fact that the acc is still intact is a testament to the strength of the contracts you are discounting.

the way the acc gets blown up early (and it will happen but not quite yet) is when enough of the teams are so pissed about being so far behind in revenue that they demand a restructuring.
I agree with this. I also think it's very possible that ESPN throws a little more money at the ACC schools, possibly as part of the proposed scheduling agreement w/ the Pac, to prevent the most valuable ACC schools from doing that.

Gavin Newsom is a douche extraordinaire. In this case, however, I’m rooting for him. Throw the whole thing into doubt, governor!

God this would be so freaking hilarious.

This is why you wait to make your move and don’t jump at the first shiny thing to come along. This whole thing might just turn out to be OK.

Or it could be a cosmic flameout. One way or another, we will be entertained.

Were you walking? Back in the day we used to walk through the drivethru because it was still open even though the lobby was closed. One time I was inexplicably accused of pissing on someone's car while I was waiting for my turn to get my food and pay. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed - the accuser was a sloppy drunk girl, and even her friends didn't really believe her - but I could have seen fisticuffs flying if she had a roid raging bf. Eventually we stopped walking through Taco Bell drive thrus.

Nope. I was in the backseat of the car that my girlfriend (now spouse) was driving with the window down.

Maybe you should stop pissing on cars.

@Denver_sc what was Mark Kennedy’s plan?

Here's the formal one:

IIRC, there was a lot said about how Mark Kennedy wanted to go all-in on online learning to achieve some of the main the objectives in his document:
  • Better graduation rates
  • More diverse student base
He is a ****bird and his plan sucks ****, but it's better than Phil "Seat Filler" Distefano.

SC, UCLA, UT and OU had 2 years left on their media contracts that all 4 are remaining with their respective conferences until they expire (OU and UT might leave 1 year early). The ACC has 14 years left, a $120m exit fee PER SCHOOL, and a GOR contract that states they would give up 100% of their future media rights revenue through the duration of the current ACC contract.

If Clemson wants to leave, it's $120m + $100m (assumed SEC per team amount) PER YEAR, for the next 14 years. That's $1.4B + $120m = $1.52B that Clemson alone would owe the ACC. If those 5 ACC programs decide to leave, they would collectively owe the ACC over $7B.

There is a reason those GOR haven't been broken and the conversation about realignment has essentially stopped talking about those schools outside of a potential Pac10/ACC scheduling alliance.
Here and furthermore, all talk of ACC teams going to SEC is terminated until some team decides to go to court or the ACC gets enough votes to disband.

it’s fun to think about. But economics are drastic as noted correctly by Yak.

Gavin Newsom is a douche extraordinaire. In this case, however, I’m rooting for him. Throw the whole thing into doubt, governor!

God this would be so freaking hilarious.

This is why you wait to make your move and don’t jump at the first shiny thing to come along. This whole thing might just turn out to be OK.

Or it could be a cosmic flameout. One way or another, we will be entertained.
I’m amazed they made this decision without consulting the regents. How is that even possible? I hope this blows up in UCLA’s face.

That such a monumental change could happen with a major institution ranked as the No. 1 public university in the nation without the knowledge of even the highest government officials in the state, is quite something.

But apparently, it's allowed. Reports indicate that UCLA was under no legal obligation to inform the University of California Regents about the move to the Big Ten.

link

if* the UCLA stakeholders that negotiated this had no obligation to inform the regents, then in that case, it's hard to argue those stakeholders acted inappropriately. doing so would've jeopardized the deal, either by word getting out or one of the regents who wasn't supportive escalating to someone who could've influenced it into a different direction.

*trusting SI's reporting here. i haven't dug through the by-laws, etc...

If the Big12 and the P12-2=10 merge, I cannot wait for the hilarity of that Oregon State/ Okie Lite matchup with two teams that have an almost identical uniform color scheme. Ditto TT/SDSU/Utah/Furd etc.

Will be very confusing to watch - growing up I lost a bet to my friends in elementary school because I thought Barry Sanders played at Oregon State.

I’m amazed they made this decision without consulting the regents. How is that even possible? I hope this blows up in UCLA’s face.
UCLA just did what USC told them to do and assumed it was all OK. Only half kidding. Honestly I think this is a massive ****up on UCLAs part and has the potential to bugger the entire deal.

Yep, I just read this. It's a great idea all the way around is exactly what should be done. The part about the winner of each Pod playing their 9th conference game as a conference semi final against another pod winner on Thanksgiving weekend is fantastic and would provide more high end inventory late in the season.

The main part is that it keeps all the programs in each conference involved and all the fanbases engaged. Mandel's concept of a late season Washington vs ASU matchup that only matters to Pac 12 fans right now, would then matter to fans in TX, OH, and FL. A true national product that would have 10-12 years of functioning before the ACC deal comes up, at which time everything can be reevaluated.
The only thing about this that I take a very slight issue with is that we don’t get our own travel partner. ASU and UA are paired up, BYU and UU are paired up, and that leaves us and SDSU. I know everybody looks down on CSU, but in a perfect world (for me, anyway), CSU is paired with us. I understand all the arguments against having CSU as part of this. I don’t even disagree with them. It’s just that this pod puts us at a disadvantage with respect to the other 4-corner schools.

I suspect that when everyone actually looks at the technicallity of the laws, regulations and governing documents that UCLA very much can make this change, and that they can/could do it without seeking approval from or even notifying the regents.

Now, they have to be prepared to deal with the reprocussions of choosing to do it that way, but I'd be shocked if the technicalities aren't on their side.

The analogous situation that comes to mind is that I could, technically according to the governing docs and delegations of authority, sign off on restructuring 9 figure debt deals without notifying either my boss or the credit committee. And if I did that, it would be legally binding, but I'd also have to accept the reprocussion of needing to look for new employment.

Last edited:
The only thing about this that I take a very slight issue with is that we don’t get our own travel partner. ASU and UA are paired up, BYU and UU are paired up, and that leaves us and SDSU. I know everybody looks down on CSU, but in a perfect world (for me, anyway), CSU is paired with us. I understand all the arguments against having CSU as part of this. I don’t even disagree with them. It’s just that this pod puts us at a disadvantage with respect to the other 4-corner schools.
CSU in the same league?

You're kidding me, right?

What is the point of a travel partner? Now, it’s Utah. But it’s not like they share flights or hotels or snything?

What is the point of a travel partner? Now, it’s Utah. But it’s not like they share flights or hotels or snything?
I asked that question when I first started following CU and the Pac and caught some grief over my ignorance.

think of the travel partner more as a "destination partner". Your understanding is correct -- the partner schools don't travel together, but when distant conference foes travel, they will hit both travel partners on the same roadie (e.g. Cal saves some air miles by playing @UA and @ASU in the same week). it saves travel costs of those going to the partner schools, not travel costs of the partner schools.

Last edited:
I asked that question when I first started following CU and the Pac and caught some grief over my ignorance.

think of the travel partner more as a "destination partner". You're understanding is correct -- the partner schools don't travel together, but when distant conference foes travel, they will hit both travel partners on the same roadie (e.g. Cal saves some air miles by playing @UA and @ASU in the same week). it saves travel costs of those going to the partner schools, not travel costs of the partner schools.
There’s that, but it’s also a deal where you have a partner for conference matters. As much as UA and ASU might hate each other, they probably have very similar ideas regarding conference matters.
It’s a very minor issue, and certainly not something that would kill the deal. Just more of a “in an ideal world, we would have this” kind of thing. What I think would be absolutely hilarious would be if the UC regents nix the deal for UCLA and they end up being our “travel partner”. The variety of ways this can go is amazing.

There’s that, but it’s also a deal where you have a partner for conference matters. As much as UA and ASU might hate each other, they probably have very similar ideas regarding conference matters.
I'm not following. By "deal where you have a partner for conference matters", are you implying that conference travel partners vote as a block with more weight than individual votes wrt Pac 12 by-laws or something?

the ucla thing could come to nothing but it won't help us much if they got held out.

usc would still bolt and maybe nd comes in or oregon as the partner team. the big tv contract probably drops in value a bit with not having the la market locked, but another partner like oregon softens the blow.

and, in a total surprise move, the big decides to pair usc with CU because....

FLATIRONS

You aren't getting the concept. This isn't 2 or 3 or even 5 teams leaving a conference this is more than half a conference leaving behind a few teams.

At a point they make a group decision to try to survive in a rapidly changing situation.

They may see that they can't wait over a decade to respond and if the networks push for it then they look for ways to make it happen.

the ucla thing could come to nothing but it won't help us much if they got held out.

usc would still bolt and maybe nd comes in or oregon as the partner team. the big tv contract probably drops in value a bit with not having the la market locked, but another partner like oregon softens the blow.

and, in a total surprise move, the big decides to pair usc with CU because....

FLATIRONS
Yeah, but it would be fun to laugh at UCLA.

I'm not following. By "deal where you have a partner for conference matters", are you implying that conference travel partners vote as a block with more weight than individual votes wrt Pac 12 by-laws or something?
A little. Yes. Its also a scheduling thing. Utah travels an hour to Provo for a conference game. UA travels 2 hours by bus to a conference game in Tempe. Meanwhile, we charter a plane to go 1000 miles to play against our “partner”. I’m not trying to make this into a bigger deal than it is. This is very minor and really not a big deal at all. Just that if we are in a pod, my preference would be to be paired up with another local school. I fully understand the reasons why that probably won’t happen. Everything so far in this thread has been wild speculation anyway, so this shouldn’t be any different.

Back