What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

And you are the expert at this. No offense.

View attachment 53015
Chinese Reaction GIF by CW Kung Fu

The way I see it, they will get both sets (OR/WA and Cal/Stan) for a discount- if even one of the two pairs agrees to go to the B1G, then the Pac is officially over.

If you're in the pair says "no" and the other says "yes", then what are your options?

If I were CU, I'd partner with ASU right now and go to the B1G and say, look- you can have both of us for the same dilution to your rights as taking Cal/Stanford, but with a CU/ASU combination:
  • You'll be getting access to two markets that combined are bigger than the Bay Area market and growing faster (in fact, the only one markets that are bigger than Denver/Phoenix combined are Chicago, LA, and NY).
  • Cal isn't necessarily viable as a long-term football interest given their debt and the risk they run with the fault line right under their stadium.
  • Stanford has a more national brand than either CU or ASU, yes, but both CU and ASU have a larger presence locally as demonstrated by both having average higher attendance than either Cal or Stanford.
  • California, as a state, is a more fertile recruiting ground than AZ/CO combined, BUT they've already locked up SoCal and SoCal produces about 80% of the bluechips that come from CA. A comparison of CO/AZ to NorCal is much more favorable.
Note: The above is not necessarily the BEST argument, but UO/UW/Cal/Stanford going to the B1G is one of the worst I can imagine for CU.
I agree CU-ASU combo becomes most/only interesting geo in Western half of US if CA/NW schools go to Big10.

I listened to Howell and Rooney's podcast. They dressed down the fans who complained about CU being reactive. They spewed some schtick about how you should wait and see because one deal may look good but then not be good blah, blah, blah.

If the reports today are about other pac 12 teams talking to the b1g, CU will likely end up in the scenario as the player without a chair in the game of conference musical chairs.

If Washington Oregon CAL and Stanford make the leap, any leverage the 4 corners Schools had with the big 12 just went out the window. It is, and has been, every man for himself. Given the puny media rights package offered to the PAC 12, the time to start negotiating in earnest with the big 12 was about 4 days ago.

I listened to Howell and Rooney's podcast. They dressed down the fans who complained about CU being reactive. They spewed some schtick about how you should wait and see because one deal may look good but then not be good blah, blah, blah.

If the reports today are about other pac 12 teams talking to the b1g, CU will likely end up in the scenario as the player without a chair in the game of conference musical chairs.

If Washington Oregon CAL and Stanford make the leap, any leverage the 4 corners Schools had with the big 12 just went out the window. It is, and has been, every man for himself. Given the puny media rights package offered to the PAC 12, the time to start negotiating in earnest with the big 12 was about 4 days ago.
Yup.

Imagine having to crawl back to a greatly diminished Big 12 and get an unequal share.

Warren is hoping with this news that the 4 corner schools jump to the Big 12 now he can get UO, UW, Cal, and Stanford at a discounted rate

Eh, not sure I buy the Big 12 schools playing hardball.
We'll see, but if UW ore Cal and the Furd bail to the B1G, it is hard to see how CU's hand in negotiating with the B12 gets stronger. Oregon St. and Wazzu are truly screwed under just about any scenario.

CU would rather lose $10 million a season and claim cultural fit.
I don’t think CU will ever agree to voluntarily separate from Cal, Stanford and UW, even if it means serious lost revenues to the AD. I will very surprised if associating with the academic elites and progressive politics of the west coast does not rule the day when the followers at CU make a decision on conference affiliation.

We'll see, but if UW ore Cal and the Furd bail to the B1G, it is hard to see how CU's hand in negotiating with the B12 gets stronger. Oregon St. and Wazzu are truly screwed under just about any scenario.

It does not get stronger, but at that point, the Big 12 is going to need to move quickly. You start talking about unequal revenue sharing and suddenly things could get bogged down instead of striking fast so there is a reasonable chance of grabbing ACC castoffs to go to 20.

Back