What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Is this ACC news tied to the P12 media rights? Feels like a red herring.

I know this guy is a little strange but I don’t think he’s out to cause harm either. Anonymously quotes an Apple person who says they’re the leader and they’ll partner with linear networks. Also anon quotes a P12 source who had some interesting things to say. Overall pretty optimistic story if you believe it.

Apple and ESPN? That could be a good deal for the P12. As I have said in the beginning of this thread, the P12 simply needs more exposure.

Are we making too big a deal out of the Pac 12 needing more “exposure”? Sure, many around the country have been blacked out from the Pac 12 Network, but the games played on that network aren’t games that people outside the fanbases were going to watch anyways, the same way people outside the fanbases aren’t watching Arkansas vs Mississippi State on SEC Network or Indiana vs Minnesota on B1G Network or NC State vs Louisville on ACCN.

All the marquee P12 matchups over the years have been on big networks in great time slots, and the mid range matchups have been on FS1 or ESPN/ESPN2 just like every other conference.

It feels like the Pac 12 has had an exposure issue because the disaster that’s been the P12N and the general perception of the conference, but the real issue is the top teams not performing at a high enough level to carry the conference on a national level, not lack of exposure.

Are we making too big a deal out of the Pac 12 needing more “exposure”? Sure, many around the country have been blacked out from the Pac 12 Network, but the games played on that network aren’t games that people outside the fanbases were going to watch anyways, the same way people outside the fanbases aren’t watching Arkansas vs Mississippi State on SEC Network or Indiana vs Minnesota on B1G Network or NC State vs Louisville on ACCN.

All the marquee P12 matchups over the years have been on big networks in great time slots, and the mid range matchups have been on FS1 or ESPN/ESPN2 just like every other conference.

It feels like the Pac 12 has had an exposure issue because the disaster that’s been the P12N and the general perception of the conference, but the real issue is the top teams not performing at a high enough level to carry the conference on a national level, not lack of exposure.
Biggest on-field issue was USC not being elite because of NCAA penalties. It dragged the entire league down.

Then not being aggressive to do the deal to bring in OU and UT when it was right there.

All the media mismanagement could have been fixed if the assets had been that strong.

As it stands, it's over as a viable competitor on the B1G & SEC level unless a new conference forms as a merger of the top Pac, ACC and B1G assets to form something new out of the 16-24 most valuable programs.

Biggest on-field issue was USC not being elite because of NCAA penalties. It dragged the entire league down.

Then not being aggressive to do the deal to bring in OU and UT when it was right there.

All the media mismanagement could have been fixed if the assets had been that strong.

As it stands, it's over as a viable competitor on the B1G & SEC level unless a new conference forms as a merger of the top Pac, ACC and B1G assets to form something new out of the 16-24 most valuable programs.
That’s why I’m leaving a 1% chance of this ACC news being tied to the P12. A merger of the best is the only path forward.

Do people really think the B1G/SEC are adding NC State, VaTech, possibly GaTech? That’s why I’m leaving out a small chance it’s related. I don’t see those schools having a spot at all so why would they want to break from the ACC.

Yep. Had Lincoln Riley arrived at USC 5 years ago, we might be in an entirely different position today but USC completely screwed the pooch.

As far as next steps, it just feels like the networks eventually want to get to the NFL model, but unlike the NFL, there isn't $10B/year available to encourage the B1G and SEC to get there quickly. What incentive do current B1G and SEC programs have to expand when the per school payouts aren't going to increase?

Had the conferences and networks just ripped the bandaid off entirely with these new B1G and SEC deals, they could have expanded fully and all programs go from $20-$30m/year to say $50-$60m/year instead of B1G and SEC programs going to $80m+ while everyone else sits at $30m.

That’s why I’m leaving a 1% chance of this ACC news being tied to the P12. A merger of the best is the only path forward.

Do people really think the B1G/SEC are adding NC State, VaTech, possibly GaTech? That’s why I’m leaving out a small chance it’s related. I don’t see those schools having a spot at all so why would they want to break from the ACC.
Because as it stands, even the Big 12 is getting more money than the ACC right now and they would break free from 13 more years of this GOR

Because as it stands, even the Big 12 is getting more money than the ACC right now and they would break free from 13 more years of this GOR
You think those schools want to go to the B12? I don’t know about that. I’ve never heard of them wanting that before. Agree the GOR is untenable though.

You think those schools want to go to the B12? I don’t know about that. I’ve never heard of them wanting that before. Agree the GOR is untenable though.
There are going to be at least one, maybe two more TV contracts signed by B1G, SEC and Big 12 before the current ACC GOR expires. It's not about necessarily wanting to go the Big 12, but rather not being stuck in their current situation while the rest of the CFB world laps them twice.

I think Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC at a bare minimum, feel confident they'll be scooped up by SEC or B1G if they can get out of the ACC, while the other three just want out and would probably rather be in the Big 12

P12N wasn't helpful and the Big 12 went on to eventually having ESPN+ for each member except for the LHN (Texas). I hope this problem is resolved beginning with the 2024 season. There is an outside chance that if the new deal is with ESPN, P12N games would be on ESPN+ but that's likely wishful thinking.

USC wasn't pulling its weight for so long it weighted down the P12's perception. With them out of the way, hopefully that helps the P12 perception if CU is going to stay.

I'm 100% against Apple.

If there's going to be streaming I'd rather it be Amazon.
Doesn't matter. CU will be in the BIG12 soon enough.

Jeff Bezo wants to thank you for sending his wrinkly ass to space. I wouldn't be surprised if you still had to pay a separate subscription for the P12N on Amazon Prime just like with Apple+. I just subbed to MLS on Apple+ for at least this month and the interface is much easier to use than ESPN+. I'm usually ready at this time of the year to watch some soccer so I will see how Apple does that stuff. I don't see a difference between Amazon and Apple in that regard.

And MLS's deal with Apple TV+ includes linear channels. The live linear games can be viewed on Apple+ at the same time as well so I don't see what's wrong with Apple in this case. Apple also has six free MLS games on Saturdays as well...how is that for exposure? I'm not saying that P12 football games are going to be free on Apple but a good chunk of non-football games could be made free in that case on specific days. And an Apple deal does not mean there will be no linear channels unless the conference's leaders including Phil D are cool with 100% streaming.

USC wasn't pulling its weight for so long it weighted down the P12's perception. With them out of the way, hopefully that helps the P12 perception if CU is going to stay.
Bro, what? USC and UCLA leaving is what is destroyed the Pac 12, literally (it's now the Pac 10). Had those two stayed, we'd be looking at a bare minimum of $30-$35m/school in TV revenue, and likely upwards of $40m, along with the possibly adding a couple Big 12 programs and watching that conference crumble into the true G5 ranks.

USC was to the Pac 12 what Clemson is to the ACC, and what Texas/OU were to the Big 12. Suggesting that the conference perception somehow got better with USC "out of the way" is next level

I'm not even sure this joke is accurate. Even if Pac 12 and ACC both dissolve, there are still 8 FBS conferences eligible for the playoff.

However, it does bring up the elephant in the room for the non-P2 and that's at what point does the CFP look at the conference situations and amend the playoff contract to get rid of auto bids altogether? As things stand today, if the Pac 12 and ACC dissolve, the CFP would be looking at 3 P5 auto bids (B1G, SEC and Big 12) and 3 G5 auto bids, and I can't see that being allowed.

Do people really think the B1G/SEC are adding NC State, VaTech
The SEC and B1G would both absolutely love a piece of North Carolina and Virginia, so yes, in theory I could absolutely see them splitting UNC/ NC State and UVA/ VT.

There are going to be at least one, maybe two more TV contracts signed by B1G, SEC and Big 12 before the current ACC GOR expires. It's not about necessarily wanting to go the Big 12, but rather not being stuck in their current situation while the rest of the CFB world laps them twice.

I think Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC at a bare minimum, feel confident they'll be scooped up by SEC or B1G if they can get out of the ACC, while the other three just want out and would probably rather be in the Big 12
The only way I see those schools leaving w/o getting into a legal money pit is if ESPN diverts them into a conference that’s advantageous to them. It won’t be the B1G that’s for sure.

I don’t even think it’ll be the SEC. A few are great fits. But no school raises the bar above $70M per school.

The only strategic move is to keep all of the best brands from the ACC and P12 away from Fox, cut the fat, pair the rest with a reasonable payout that doesn’t break the bank.

The problem is ESPN doesn’t want to play conference maker and they probably can’t foot the bill alone like they did with the SEC. They’ll need another partner but they likely wouldn’t want it to be Fox.

The SEC and B1G would both absolutely love a piece of North Carolina and Virginia, so yes, in theory I could absolutely see them splitting UNC/ NC State and UVA/ VT.

They were saying on local radio this morning that UNC and State can't be split up due to a state law, if accurate

Bro, what? USC and UCLA leaving is what is destroyed the Pac 12, literally (it's now the Pac 10). Had those two stayed, we'd be looking at a bare minimum of $30-$35m/school in TV revenue, and likely upwards of $40m, along with the possibly adding a couple Big 12 programs and watching that conference crumble into the true G5 ranks.

USC was to the Pac 12 what Clemson is to the ACC, and what Texas/OU were to the Big 12. Suggesting that the conference perception somehow got better with USC "out of the way" is next level

I was talking about the on the field product not the money said schools would bring had they stayed. Since USC & UCLA weren't pulling their weight on the field, it certainly weighted down the Pac-12. When OU & Texas were not pulling their weight, the Big 12 perception suffers as a result. Ditto for Clemson & FSU when it comes to the ACC. The B1G's perception has improved recently with Michigan being back on par with Wisconsin.

No doubt UO & UW would be the new face of the PAC and that gives the PAC a fresh start perception-wise. Now if those two leave, we will be in the Big 12. It's not clear which rivalry pair will emerge as the face of the Big 12 and that could be Baylor-TCU, BYU-Utah, etc. Either way, CU has an opportunity to make its name for itself and that is what I am excited about.

I'm 100% against Apple.
200.gif

And people think we got the worst deal in all of CFB.

So the optics wouldn't be good for ESPN to announce a tv deal right now ?
Didn't I read that somewhere?
Who said that again ?

Or the real optics is that ESPN doesn't want to be responsible for the destruction of the PAC. Former Big 12 commissioner made a huge stink about ESPN nearly destroying the Big 12 after OU & UT announced their departures.

ESPN might as well just announce the P12 media rights deal already. Could happen anytime this week to the week of Memorial Day. This saga is going to have to end especially when San Diego State needs to inform the MWC of their departure by June 30 and pay $17M. If that notice happens after June 30th, that amount triples which would put it at $1M more than OU & UT paid to get out of the Big 12.

Big 12 meetings are happening at the end of this month at WVU and the presidents will be in that meeting.

Back