What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This is so damn comical.
Is he serious?
'Summertime' July? August ?
This 'deal' continues to get pushed out further and further.
Do you know why? Cause there is no deal.

Did Anderson know that after June 30th if they want SDSU their exit fee triples?

The only real deadline is next summer.

That's it.

Anything else is made up posturing.

And, SDSU's exit fee is peanuts in comparison to getting the right deal - the number is trivial compared to the whole.

The only real deadline is next summer.

That's it.

Anything else is made up posturing.

And, SDSU's exit fee is peanuts in comparison to getting the right deal - the number is trivial compared to the whole.

Even if SDSU will have to cough up $51M to the MWC? That's $1M more than OU & UT did apiece to the Big 12 to join the SEC next year.

That means SDSU will join the Big 12 soon. It doesn't look good for the P12 in that case but what do the heck we know?

Even if SDSU will have to cough up $51M to the MWC? That's $1M more than OU & UT did apiece to the Big 12 to join the SEC next year.

That means SDSU will join the Big 12 soon. It doesn't look good for the P12 in that case but what do the heck we know?
While I cannot confirm this, I’ve read that the increase after June 30th, only applies if they leave the following year (2024 in this case). If they announced on July 1, then SDSU could simply join in 2025 and pay the lower amount.

I do believe the June 30 date does apply some pressure, just not as much as you think.

I also believe rumors of a potential unraveling of the ACC creates both opportunities and threats for the PAC 12 members.

Starting to feel like the ACC is more likely to dissolve than the Pac 10 and sooner.

I could see a scenario where the SEC and B1G make offers to the 4-6 programs they might want, and the Big 12 offers some of the others and it quickly gets to the 8+ needed to dissolve.

Starting to feel like the ACC is more likely to dissolve than the Pac 10 and sooner.

I could see a scenario where the SEC and B1G make offers to the 4-6 programs they might want, and the Big 12 offers some of the others and it quickly gets to the 8+ needed to dissolve.

I've read that some PAC schools who aren't too happy are definitely keeping an eye on things,
These schools know it's not a matter of if but when that Oregon and Washington go BIG10.
Once the ACC blows up all hell breaks loose. Some go to the BIG10, some to the SEC leaving the remaining ACC to scramble to BIG12 (Pitt, VA Tech,
Louisville, NC St most likely)
These PAC schools don't want the BIG12 to take more old ACC schools (Wake, Syracuse, Boston College for example) instead of them.
Could these PAC schools jump first knowing that they would at least be in the 3rd 'best' conference and not relegated to going to the MWC or AAC?

If the PAC, B12 and ACC all dissolve at the same time, they can re-form a new conference with its own network and coast to coast content. Makes far too much sense to actually happen, but that’s what I would love to see.
Well.... Yormark seems to be very aggressive. A forward thinker.
Sure sounds like this 'new' conference would be a bigger BIG12.

“Pac-12 media rights deal will be made "in the next few weeks to a month" followed quickly by the possibility of conference expansion. "When it happens, folks, the dominoes are going to fall quickly," said Schulz.

"We're continuing to have really good dialogue and discussion with several media bidders and media partners ..." said Schulz. "I know our fans are frustrated ... I ask everybody to be patient because we have more bidders coming to the table, more people interested as the time goes on, and the 10 schools are as unified as I've ever seen them.”

Is this guy bluffing? Doesn’t sound like it.

“Pac-12 media rights deal will be made "in the next few weeks to a month" followed quickly by the possibility of conference expansion. "When it happens, folks, the dominoes are going to fall quickly," said Schulz.

"We're continuing to have really good dialogue and discussion with several media bidders and media partners ..." said Schulz. "I know our fans are frustrated ... I ask everybody to be patient because we have more bidders coming to the table, more people interested as the time goes on, and the 10 schools are as unified as I've ever seen them.”

Is this guy bluffing? Doesn’t sound like it.
Last time he spoke about the situation he lied saying ESPN wouldn't announce any tv deals due to 'optics.' I believe nothing that comes out of his mouth.

Apple and ESPN? That could be a good deal for the P12. As I have said in the beginning of this thread, the P12 simply needs more exposure.
Drunk Ian Mcshane GIF by American Gods

Reddit already killed off the PAC in their minds and doing the same to the ACC. I honestly think the ACC is very vulnerable. All it takes is one of the 7 to add an 8th team and that kills off the ACC. It will be interesting to see what ND does too.

Last time he spoke about the situation he lied saying ESPN wouldn't announce any tv deals due to 'optics.' I believe nothing that comes out of his mouth.
Dude- you keep saying that he was lying, using the Pat McAfee deal as proof but you're smart enough to understand the difference between a contract with McAfee (with a deal size that, conspicuously, neither ESPN nor McAfee has confirmed) and a potentially $1B rights deal with the Pac.

Additionally, there has been a ton of bad PR for ESPN for this announcement:

Well that sure escalated with the news of the ACC's potential demise. That might explain why the Pac-12 rejected a long term contract with ESPN when Limo Larry was still the commissioner.

Unequal revenue sharing seems to always lead to instability within a conference so the ACC schools that are not that seven are doing the smart thing by not budging. Same thing with the PAC schools when it comes to UO & UW.

That new CFP format is having an impact on conference membership and it starts next year. The end of the athletic year that falls on June 30th is coming up and that usually is some kind of deadline to set conference membership rolls.

Hopefully CU finds a good chair before the music stops.

Dude- you keep saying that he was lying, using the Pat McAfee deal as proof but you're smart enough to understand the difference between a contract with McAfee (with a deal size that, conspicuously, neither ESPN nor McAfee has confirmed) and a potentially $1B rights deal with the Pac.

Additionally, there has been a ton of bad PR for ESPN for this announcement:

ESPN is in the business of making money and McAfee is good money

ESPN is in the business of making money and McAfee is good money
McAfee is also apparently appealing to young people, a demographic that ESPN’s other content isnt. This is the demographic advertisers spend most of their money on. When you watch CNN you hear commercials about Camp Lejeunes Water and supplemental medicare insurance instead of insurance companies and banks.

200922_Gen-Z-vs-All-Adults-Fandom-Sports-Properties_sidebar.png

McAfee is also apparently appealing to young people, a demographic that ESPN’s other content isnt. This is the demographic advertisers spend most of their money on. When you watch CNN you hear commercials about Camp Lejeunes Water and supplemental medicare insurance instead of insurance companies and banks.

I’d like to know the percentage of Gen X and Millennials who identified as avid or casual sports fans when they were between the ages of 10-25. I assume Generation Alpha, being between 0-9 years old right now, also aren’t avid sports fans.

I'd like to see where European football leagues fall on this graph.

Back