What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Show us the data... correlation is NOT causation and all you've got here is correlation.
Data for what, exactly? That athletic affiliation does NOT impact research output? So data that proves a negative? People who claim athletic affiliation impacts research output are the ones incorrectly inferring causation where there is only correlation. I'm saying the same thing you are in this post - correlation is not causation, and there is zero evidence to suggest that athletic affiliation impacts research output. Moreover, if you understand anything about how research output and cooperation works, you immediately understand what a ridiculous argument it is to even put forward. Any decent researcher already knows and is making connections with every relevant lab in their field. Athletic affiliation means nothing to those partnerships (and most of the researchers don't even know what athletic conference their institution is a part of).

IF the original discussion was that there are four slots available, the idea would be if UCONN said yes there would be three left.
I'm not saying it's a great tactic but that's was my understanding.
The original discussion was actually CU had to join bc Oregon and Washington were about to leave. Notice how that rumor is long gone but the b12 sales tactic is still there, just slightly different now.

Animated GIF

Data for what, exactly? That athletic affiliation does NOT impact research output? So data that proves a negative? People who claim athletic affiliation impacts research output are the ones incorrectly inferring causation where there is only correlation. I'm saying the same thing you are in this post - correlation is not causation, and there is zero evidence to suggest that athletic affiliation impacts research output. Moreover, if you understand anything about how research output and cooperation works, you immediately understand what a ridiculous argument it is to even put forward. Any decent researcher already knows and is making connections with every relevant lab in their field. Athletic affiliation means nothing to those partnerships (and most of the researchers don't even know what athletic conference their institution is a part of).
Yeah. I think it has a significant impact on student recruitment since your brand is advertised a lot more in conference markets. For the same reasons, it would benefit alumni/donor connections within those same regions. I'm not sure conference affiliation has much, if anything, to do with research partnerships outside of maybe the B1G's alliance they put together in a robust way for conference members.

Regarding USF - going to AAC, completed recent facilities and campus upgrades with more approved, invited to AAU, and have funded a new on-campus stadium for football so will not be tenants in the Bucs stadium soon. Plus the Tampa market & recruiting grounds. There are a lot of reasons they would make sense for the Big 12. Politically, I'm sure that folks inside UCF would hate it but probably would be popular with the local news outlets and residents (locals love their rivalries).

Regarding USF - going to AAC, completed recent facilities and campus upgrades with more approved, invited to AAU, and have funded a new on-campus stadium for football so will not be tenants in the Bucs stadium soon. Plus the Tampa market & recruiting grounds. There are a lot of reasons they would make sense for the Big 12. Politically, I'm sure that folks inside UCF would hate it but probably would be popular with the local news outlets and residents (locals love their rivalries).
Its like perfect. Another red state team in the red state conference.

Seeing more reports that official confirmation of UConn's Big 12 invite will be dropping in the coming week.

I think they're hoping CU would make 14 or maybe Arizona. But I doubt they roll with 13. The other schools that have been most speculated are SDSU, Memphis and BSU, USF to a lesser extent. Then some minor mentions of Tulane and CSU.
That is one raggedy a$$ list. Damn.

Yeah. I think it has a significant impact on student recruitment since your brand is advertised a lot more in conference markets. For the same reasons, it would benefit alumni/donor connections within those same regions. I'm not sure conference affiliation has much, if anything, to do with research partnerships outside of maybe the B1G's alliance they put together in a robust way for conference members.
Ya. Athletic affiliation certainly impacts alumni (we'd be doing just about as well in the B1G as the PAC based on numbers I've seen). The B1G's alliance is more of a system that is convenient for students and lecturers (but is also less and less impactful as more universities digitize their library holdings).

Last edited:
I think we will be very very happy if Apple was to be involved with whatever conference we end up in. 5 years from now, they very well might be viewed as the company that revolutionized how we watch sports, much in the same way they revolutionized the cell phone

I think we will be very very happy if Apple was to be involved with whatever conference we end up in. 5 years from now, they very well might be viewed as the company that revolutionized how we watch sports, much in the same way they revolutionized the cell phone
Yep. They’ll probably be the first to provide 4K and Dolby Atmos on all games. And I’m sure big games will have a completely immersive VR experience for Apple Vision Pro.

Of course you ****ing numbskulls went political.
The politics only matter if the university community was to make an issue over women's healthcare and LGBTQ rights. We don't know that there would be problems, but I do think it's reasonable to bring up as a potential powderkeg.

The politics only matter if the university community was to make an issue over women's healthcare and LGBTQ rights. We don't know that there would be problems, but I do think it's reasonable to bring up as a potential powderkeg.
I doubt there would be problems if the Pac-12 added SMU and USF but you never know. And I don’t see anyone making a big deal out of it here except an account I blocked months ago and hasn’t figured it out yet. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think there would be. Coach Prime is a devout Christian, and he's extremely outspoken about it on social media. The university community said nothing when he got hired.

I don't think there would be. Coach Prime is a devout Christian, and he's extremely outspoken about it on social media. The university community said nothing when he got hired.
Being a devout Christian and being against women‘s healthcare freedom and being an anti-LGBTQ bigot are not always the same thing. If Coach Prime were to say that no gay players were welcome on his team, people would rightly have a big problem with it.

Last edited:
Christian doesn't necessarily equal anti-LGBTQ or pro-ForcedBirth, though. Coach Prime is strongly apolitical and has not (will not) be speaking on these or other issues.

EDIT
Also - I don't know that I can quietly accept it. I've asked myself how I would react if instead of LGBTQ it was laws which made it so interracial marriages were not recognized and people could be denied service at businesses based upon race? I don't believe I could support leaving a situation for the university's athletic business and revenue partnerships which wasn't like that to jump to a new affiliation where that was the norm.

Last edited:
Christian doesn't necessarily equal anti-LGBTQ or pro-ForcedBirth, though. Coach Prime is strongly apolitical and has not (will not) be speaking on these or other issues.

EDIT
Also - I don't know that I can quietly accept it. I've asked myself how I would react if instead of LGBTQ it was laws which made it so interracial marriages were not recognized and people could be denied service at businesses based upon race? I don't believe I could support leaving a situation for the university's athletic business and revenue partnerships which wasn't like that to jump to a new affiliation where that was the norm.
Did you accept the Pac 12 sending 1-2 of its teams to China every year to play a basketball game in a country who is one of the worst human rights abusers on the planet?

I find the idea that politics is a part of this hypocritical-We'd love to stay in the league that whored itself out to the Chinese Communist Party before the pandemic, but we're concerned about the Big 12 because of what is essentially another facet of the same issue?

Last edited:
The original discussion was actually CU had to join bc Oregon and Washington were about to leave. Notice how that rumor is long gone but the b12 sales tactic is still there, just slightly different now.

Animated GIF
I’m mesmerized by the gif that apparently originated in North Korea.

Back