What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Did you accept the Pac 12 sending 1-2 of its teams to China every year to play a basketball game in a country who is one of the worst human rights abusers on the planet?

I find the idea that politics is a part of this hypocritical-We'd love to stay in the league that whored itself out to the Chinese Communist Party before the pandemic, but we're concerned about the Big 12 because of what is essentially another facet of the same issue?
Fair point. I don't know if it's hypocritical but I definitely don't die on every hill of principle. I'm selective and probably arbitrary or ignorant. As I said, I'm working through how I feel.

If we do end up in the b12maybe the university can set up access programs for denied healthcare and other services for those discriminated against. We could do good for people who need ir

I want CU to do what's best for CU. I'm having a hard time seeing how that's staying in this conference.
Except I don't think the Big 12 is the answer.

If it was a B1G invite, no hesitation. Same if a new Pac-ACC merger conference was created. SEC I could get behind, I'm sure, since we'd be in a group with Mizzou, OU, UT, aTm and probably another 4 Corner school like ASU coming with us. But the Big 12 seems like it would be an overall lateral move. Maybe a step forward on revenue, definitely a step forward on stability, but steps back in other ways.

This b12 seems for sure a step down in a lot of ways. But we need competitive revenue and some stability

The fact that all the pac teams have agreed on the specifics of the gor and rev sharing tells us that the stability issue is addressed adequately and tells us we aren’t getting shafted on rev sharing

The multi million dollar question is of course the cash.

In no surprise news:

The guy who came up with the master plan, got SC and UCLA to the B1G and brokered the media deal is now running things for the Chicago Bears. Anyone think that just maybe that conference and its members are having second thoughts about adding the LA schools?

The $$$ figures probably sounded amazing. Then the Presidents and ADs actually had to figure out how it was all going to work logistically for non-football sports, and it’s a ****ing nightmare.

I would like the P12-2 to remain intact. I would like it better if we could finagle SDSU and SMU in to make it 12 again. However, if GK cannot get some nickels in the cup that at least get close to the B12 numbers, I can see jumping ship to the B12. I agree that the B12 is an island of misfit toys, but it is an island with a defined income and a TV contract, so there's that.

It may be a step backwards, but let's face it, if you aren't B1G or SEC it doesn't matter P12-2, Acc, B12, you are second tier.

I would like to see CU optimize for money, exposure, and a path to the CFP. All other considerations seem to pale in comparison to those three things. We don't have a historic rivalry in either the BigXII or the Pac12 so my interest in the football matchups will remain the same in either conference.
I also think that they should prioritize short term over long term as the college football landscape can change on a dime and it does not seem to be in a stable position currently.

The guy who came up with the master plan, got SC and UCLA to the B1G and brokered the media deal is now running things for the Chicago Bears. Anyone think that just maybe that conference and its members are having second thoughts about adding the LA schools?

The $$$ figures probably sounded amazing. Then the Presidents and ADs actually had to figure out how it was all going to work logistically for non-football sports, and it’s a ****ing nightmare.
I don't think the additions increased the media deal value per school. I think it maintained everyone's payout and was justified by university student recruiting in LA. It was a non-accretive panic move so it didn't look like the SEC had one upped the B1G by expanding to 16 with UT & OU.

In no surprise news:

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

there's a place for that and it's not in sports talk
This goes beyond sports and making money, though. CU-B should consider what decision best supports its mission.

To shape tomorrow's leaders, be the top University for innovation, and to positively impact humanity. To be a leader in addressing the humanitarian, social, and technological challenges of the twenty-first century.

This goes beyond sports and making money, though. CU-B should consider what decision best supports its mission.

To shape tomorrow's leaders, be the top University for innovation, and to positively impact humanity. To be a leader in addressing the humanitarian, social, and technological challenges of the twenty-first century.
...and score lots of TD's.

...and score lots of TD's.
Admittedly, that's mostly what I care about. I want excellent football and men's basketball programs with the resources and opportunity to compete for a national championship. I do enjoy and care about other sports, spirit squads, academic mission, being an innovation and economic driver in the state, developing the next generation's leaders, serving a humanitarian function, etc. But FB & MBB are what occupy 90% of my CU thoughts, activities and social interactions. They're what directly enrich my life and what I'm emotionally invested in.

I do recognize that's shallow and there's more at stake, though, which are the drivers for those making university decisions.

I would like the P12-2 to remain intact. I would like it better if we could finagle SDSU and SMU in to make it 12 again.
I'm still hoping the PAC can stick together. I like the 10 better than adding, and if we had to add, I'd prefer SDSU + Boise, but TV makes the rules.

The amount of complaining that’s going to be generated from the travel is going to be massive.

I can see the 5,000 word Athletic article now about how the student athletes are being exploited by the conference and tv networks, the recruits regret going to USC UCLA blah blah blah. I can’t wait for it.

Might mean something. Might just be a situation where RG had another obligation. Did all the other ADs stick around after GKs presser?
This feels to me like somebody trying to assign meaning to something where no meaning was intended.

But if it was a move by RG to let GK know that his patience is running out, I’m all for it. I feel like this has dragged on for way too long.
RG did a Q&A on the CFP and then took off. Who cares

Back