What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Honestly.... no, not at all, not even a little bit.
I think a comment of “we’ll see how it goes with USC and UCLA” (assuming that’s actually something that was said) says a lot.

I can understand why the LA schools are willing to do all this, but I don’t think it’s far fetched for people inside PSU, Michigan, MSU etc to maybe not be as enamored with all the unintended consequences that are coming along with adding those two.

I don't care - but it better be a state where blue lives matter!

Nevada

Blue Man Group GIF by AJR

The guy who came up with the master plan, got SC and UCLA to the B1G and brokered the media deal is now running things for the Chicago Bears. Anyone think that just maybe that conference and its members are having second thoughts about adding the LA schools?

The $$$ figures probably sounded amazing. Then the Presidents and ADs actually had to figure out how it was all going to work logistically for non-football sports, and it’s a ****ing nightmare.

That guy also agreed with NBC to night games which the schools were upset about once the detail negotiation started.

I think a comment of “we’ll see how it goes with USC and UCLA” (assuming that’s actually something that was said) says a lot.

I can understand why the LA schools are willing to do all this, but I don’t think it’s far fetched for people inside PSU, Michigan, MSU etc to maybe not be as enamored with all the unintended consequences that are coming along with adding those two.
I disagree. I think that comment is simply saying what it says and nothing more. If anything, I think there'd more likely be second thoughts (not that I think there actually are any) from USC and UCLA. For all the other B1G schools, they got a lot more money and maybe one (in football, or a couple in other sports) long trips per year, which is easily worth it with the huge contract you gained by adding LA, not to mention the chance to have huge games like PSU/ UM/ OSU vs USC. And if the original B1G schools don't like that one long travel game each year they can shift their long-term OOC schedules to have fewer long travel games.

If you think about it all the eastern time zone schools have to send their MBB and WBB teams to LA on seperate trips. Every. Year. Thats PSU, RU, UM1, UM2, MSU, tOSU, MSU. Its a lot of logistics. And probably in stretches of back to back games (exhaustion) which could cause some fatigue losses.

Last edited:
This b12 seems for sure a step down in a lot of ways. But we need competitive revenue and some stability

The fact that all the pac teams have agreed on the specifics of the gor and rev sharing tells us that the stability issue is addressed adequately and tells us we aren’t getting shafted on rev sharing

The multi million dollar question is of course the cash.
It’s a lateral move at best.

The last leader was both incompetent and corrupt, recklessly spending on lavish offices, hiring people who committed fraud on their broadcast partners (which CU and the other schools have to pay for), tied the conference down in too long of a contract, and stubbornly committed to the idea of a network he had no idea how to successfully implement.

The new leader has no vision, sat on his hands during the last realignment shift and allowed the Big 12 to stabilize, instead of taking advantage of the chaos and strengthening the Pac 12 and making it stronger for a new tv deal. Then UCLA and USC bolted for the Big 10 costing the Pac 12 the LA market when they’re negotiating a new tv deal.

The Pac 12 is an embarrassing joke of a conference and CU would be lucky to escape to any other P5 conference.

The attraction appears to be a snobbish affinity for some of the schools in the Pac 12 and contempt for some of the schools in the Big 12. But it’s clear the leaders of the universities in the Pac 12 have no idea what they need in a leader of an athletic conference.

Except I don't think the Big 12 is the answer.

If it was a B1G invite, no hesitation. Same if a new Pac-ACC merger conference was created. SEC I could get behind, I'm sure, since we'd be in a group with Mizzou, OU, UT, aTm and probably another 4 Corner school like ASU coming with us. But the Big 12 seems like it would be an overall lateral move. Maybe a step forward on revenue, definitely a step forward on stability, but steps back in other ways.
Some of why I don't think the Big 12 is bad ties back in with how I see all of this playing out. Let me explain.

2023-Only question is the Pac 12. This league is one more defection away from dissolving in my view-I don't believe they can take even us leaving. The Big 12 takes the four corners, Stanford and Cal will do something (indy in football, other sports somewhere else-WCC? Big West?), OSU/WSU to the MWC, and that leaves Oregon and Washington. I don't believe that the Big 10 has a ton of interest in either of them. Could they step in and take those two? Sure-but why haven't they done that?

We get a pause here until 2033-34, when the ACC's GOR comes up. I'm not going to guess on everybody in that league-but I think UVA, UNC, and GT likely take a group of schools to the Big 10, and Clemson, FSU, and Miami lead some ACC schools to the SEC. The other league(s) are likely getting raided as well-One's going to turn into a best of the rest. I could see schools like TCU (assuming Dykes turns that thing into a consistent 8-10 game winner, which feels pretty doable in the new Big 12) and CU under Prime moving up. There will probably be others. Effectively, we'll get two superconferences who are in pretty much every major media market in America, with a third power conference (my guess would be the Big 12) that they allow to hang around to avoid any monopoly law issues. Maybe we're looking at 4 SEC teams in the playoff, 4 Big 10 teams in, 3 from power league #3, and the best group of 5 champ?

Something like that. I'd rather not move, but my opinion of this conference's leadership is well known-I don't think it has any. A disastrous network rollout that is now costing schools money via the overpayments. Stupid basketball intiatives-the China game pre-COVID, and the scheduling arrangment with the SWAC this past year. You can tell me how great you think the history is all you want-but here's the reality.....there is no ****ing way that sending CU MBB on a road trip to Grambling is in the best interests of CU's program. There's nothing good that can come of that game for CU-like playing CSU in football. If CU wins, great-they're supposed to. If they don't, its embarrassing. Wilner has mentioned the UC Board possibly not allowing UCLA to leave the Pac 12 as a part of this. I said that in this thread last year when that was going on. There is no way they were going to do anything more than to force UCLA to give Cal some Big 10 money. He's said the conference had asked for projections with UCLA in them. That's extremely naive in my view.

James Crepea went on 365 sports today-he's the reporter who asked Kliavkoff the question that got everybody at Media Day talking. His takeaway is this: This needs to be done by Labor Day, or schools (starting with this one) are going to start to leave.

If you think about it all the eastern time zone schools have to send their MBB and WBB teams to LA on seperate trips. Thats PSU, RU, UM1, UM2, MSU, tOSU. Its a lot of logistics. And probably back to back games (exhaustion)
would it be wrong to hope they are all miserable and a bunch of good teams drop games because of the travel logistics?

the erasure of the student athlete concept is nearly complete. they ought to unionize and watch how quickly things go back to being rational.

I didnt agree with it.
Good. As long as you're willing to call that out, I can't challenge your stance on the Big 12.

That was unacceptable in my view-I believe the same thing about the other leagues who go over there regularly (the NBA). Its sportswashing.

I say we bounce WSU and Oregon State (seriously, what respectable college doesn't change their nickname from the Beavers post Me-Too? It's disgusting).

So we bounce WSU and Oregon State. I say we add UC-Davis and Cal Poly Humboldt. Davis is on the path to being a powerhouse. Humboldt has so much potential. They are in the top 25 for sustainability. Plus they fill the gap from the Bay Area up to the Northwest. I'm not in love with their 49% graduation rate, but that has been steadily improving now that marijuana is legal throughout the state.

They would also need to change their nickname from the Lumberjacks to the Fog. They do that, 100% we should bring them in. It's really good cheese.

Good. As long as you're willing to call that out, I can't challenge your stance on the Big 12.

That was unacceptable in my view-I believe the same thing about the other leagues who go over there regularly (the NBA). Its sportswashing.
Its like supporting the PGA now.

Some of why I don't think the Big 12 is bad ties back in with how I see all of this playing out. Let me explain.

2023-Only question is the Pac 12. This league is one more defection away from dissolving in my view-I don't believe they can take even us leaving. The Big 12 takes the four corners, Stanford and Cal will do something (indy in football, other sports somewhere else-WCC? Big West?), OSU/WSU to the MWC, and that leaves Oregon and Washington. I don't believe that the Big 10 has a ton of interest in either of them. Could they step in and take those two? Sure-but why haven't they done that?

We get a pause here until 2033-34, when the ACC's GOR comes up. I'm not going to guess on everybody in that league-but I think UVA, UNC, and GT likely take a group of schools to the Big 10, and Clemson, FSU, and Miami lead some ACC schools to the SEC. The other league(s) are likely getting raided as well-One's going to turn into a best of the rest. I could see schools like TCU (assuming Dykes turns that thing into a consistent 8-10 game winner, which feels pretty doable in the new Big 12) and CU under Prime moving up. There will probably be others. Effectively, we'll get two superconferences who are in pretty much every major media market in America, with a third power conference (my guess would be the Big 12) that they allow to hang around to avoid any monopoly law issues. Maybe we're looking at 4 SEC teams in the playoff, 4 Big 10 teams in, 3 from power league #3, and the best group of 5 champ?

Something like that. I'd rather not move, but my opinion of this conference's leadership is well known-I don't think it has any. A disastrous network rollout that is now costing schools money via the overpayments. Stupid basketball intiatives-the China game pre-COVID, and the scheduling arrangment with the SWAC this past year. You can tell me how great you think the history is all you want-but here's the reality.....there is no ****ing way that sending CU MBB on a road trip to Grambling is in the best interests of CU's program. There's nothing good that can come of that game for CU-like playing CSU in football. If CU wins, great-they're supposed to. If they don't, its embarrassing. Wilner has mentioned the UC Board possibly not allowing UCLA to leave the Pac 12 as a part of this. I said that in this thread last year when that was going on. There is no way they were going to do anything more than to force UCLA to give Cal some Big 10 money. He's said the conference had asked for projections with UCLA in them. That's extremely naive in my view.

James Crepea went on 365 sports today-he's the reporter who asked Kliavkoff the question that got everybody at Media Day talking. His takeaway is this: This needs to be done by Labor Day, or schools (starting with this one) are going to start to leave.

On top of a few schools in the PAC12 holding everybody else hostage and forcing the PAC12 to not sieze on a few oppurtunities that could have turned the tide. They are also the ones threatening and black balling other schools because they think they are more important than everybody else.

On top of a few schools in the PAC12 holding everybody else hostage and forcing the PAC12 to not sieze on a few oppurtunities that could have turned the tide. They are also the ones threatening and black balling other schools because they think they are more important than everybody else.
Oregon? Yeah CU should call them on that. They're the emperor with no clothes.

Oregon? Yeah CU should call them on that. They're the emperor with no clothes.
Stanford and perhaps Cal. Stanford envisages the PAC12 as it's academic vision. But it's a vision that centers around them and only works if they allow it.

This is the reason any attempts to add TT, OSU, KSU, and such was not allowed, and any B12/PAC12 got no traction. Didn't fit the academic vision. This could have helped buffer the blow of USC leaving which they should have seen coming.

Now Stanford only has the PAC12 as it's academic vision, and the BIG 10 doesn't fit. Even if it means making less money. Why? The Big 10 forces all members universities to share research through the consortium. Stanford doesn't want to share thier research. So now Stanford continues it's academic purity and is strong arming the PAC12 schools to take less money to keep PaC12 as-is and is threatening to disassociate with any PaC12 member that leaves.

Stanford and perhaps Cal. Stanford envisages the PAC12 as it's academic vision. But it's a vision that centers around them and only works if they allow it.

This is the reason any attempts to add TT, OSU, KSU, and such was not allowed, and any B12/PAC12 got no traction. Didn't fit the academic vision. This could have helped buffer the blow of USC leaving which they should have seen coming.

Now Stanford only has the PAC12 as it's academic vision, and the BIG 10 doesn't fit. Even if it means making less money. Why? The Big 10 forces all members universities to share research through the consortium. Stanford doesn't want to share thier research. So now Stanford continues it's academic purity and is strong arming the PAC12 schools to take less money to keep PaC12 as-is and is threatening to disassociate with any PaC12 member that leaves.
IIRC USC put the kibosh on no expansion.

IIRC USC put the kibosh on no expansion.
Fvcking sucks. If they'd pushed UH & TCU for a Pac-14 with them staying then I believe the conference would be looking at a monster of a media deal right now (with someone willing to buy 50% or all of PACN to get the rights).

My only contribution to this hilariously useless thread. I've been working in Lubbock for a while now and it sucks, it's hot as balls, windy and I miss Colorado (glad we got that out of the way). But I usually wear my Buffs gear down here on the weekends and go to a nice cigar lounge next to campus. I usually get a few comments about Prime and Colorado, but I tend to get the most comments about the dissolution of the Pac-12. Tech fans desperately and unapologetically want CU to come back to the truck stop conference. I will typically say that I want CU to stay in the Pac-12 and it ends there.

I personally don't want CU to go back to the Big 12. Until one day a couple Iowa State fans walked into the lounge and we started talking about the old rivalries. The s*** talking was epic and the reliving of the old Big 8 was awesome. God I can't stand those Iowa State pricks. Funny because the hatred is still prevalent after all these years. That's the only reason I would want to go back to the Big 12 would be to beat the s*** out of K-State, Iowa St and Kansas one last time. Pretty sure that the Iowa St. contingent felt the same way. That's all. Continue on.

P.S. can confirm that even in Lubbock, Texas and Texas A&M are the big draw schools here. Everything revolves around those two f**** schools. God I hate this place.

My only contribution to this hilariously useless thread. I've been working in Lubbock for a while now and it sucks, it's hot as balls, windy and I miss Colorado (glad we got that out of the way). But I usually wear my Buffs gear down here on the weekends and go to a nice cigar lounge next to campus. I usually get a few comments about Prime and Colorado, but I tend to get the most comments about the dissolution of the Pac-12. Tech fans desperately and unapologetically want CU to come back to the truck stop conference. I will typically say that I want CU to stay in the Pac-12 and it ends there.

I personally don't want CU to go back to the Big 12. Until one day a couple Iowa State fans walked into the lounge and we started talking about the old rivalries. The s*** talking was epic and the reliving of the old Big 8 was awesome. God I can't stand those Iowa State pricks. Funny because the hatred is still prevalent after all these years. That's the only reason I would want to go back to the Big 12 would be to beat the s*** out of K-State, Iowa St and Kansas one last time. Pretty sure that the Iowa St. contingent felt the same way. That's all. Continue on.

P.S. can confirm that even in Lubbock, Texas and Texas A&M are the big draw schools here. Everything revolves around those two f**** schools. God I hate this place.
Tell us how you really feel

Back