What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Yes..I also read the article linked in the tweet
Then you read the part about keeping an eye on the ACC, in both the tweet and the article.
“Keep your eye on what happens in the ACC,” a source said. Depending on Florida State and Clemson and their efforts to leave the ACC, other ACC schools also could become available, some of which have natural rivalries with Big 12 programs, a source said.

Yes, but I'm not getting the connection of:
1. the ACC being destabilized
2. XII publicly entertaining UConn

They seem like independent events. What am I missing?
F.F.S.

I was responding to nik’s post about SDSU potentially being the next target. I said it’s all about the ACC and destabilizing it by going after their programs (for further expansion).

In the part you quoted with rivalries being brought up, the only ACC it makes sense to me as a pair to UConn would be if the Big XII wants Syracuse.
I’m pretty sure they are talking about ACC programs with natural rivalries to current big 12 members, like Pitt/WVU. Taking Syracuse would be stupid. They add nothinh

I’m pretty sure they are talking about ACC programs with natural rivalries to current big 12 members, like Pitt/WVU. Taking Syracuse would be stupid. They add nothinh
I think I agree on Cuse. It's not 1990. But they're pretty high prestige in both fb & bb with an all-time lax program in a huge market.

I was just trying to tie in the "ACC program with B12 rivals" thing and how that might relate to UConn. Cuse & UConn are natural rivals & Cuse has a lot of history with the old Big East & Eastern Independents such as BC, Pitt, WVU, VT and Miami.

I think I agree on Cuse. It's not 1990. But they're pretty high prestige in both fb & bb with an all-time lax program in a huge market.

I was just trying to tie in the "ACC program with B12 rivals" thing and how that might relate to UConn. Cuse & UConn are natural rivals & Cuse has a lot of history with the old Big East & Eastern Independents such as BC, Pitt, WVU, VT and Miami.

Syracuse is not a huge market.
And I wouldn't say Syracuse has high prestige football anymore, but yes they do have some great history

Syracuse is not a huge market.
And I wouldn't say Syracuse has high prestige football anymore, but yes they do have some great history
It really depends on whether you define the Cuse market as upstate NY or if it brings NYC and New England. At its peak, I believe it did while also being one of the most popular programs in NJ. But when they're rarely relevant like it's been for a while, they are basically the Buffalo/Albany market so not worth much.

It really depends on whether you define the Cuse market as upstate NY or if it brings NYC and New England. At its peak, I believe it did while also being one of the most popular programs in NJ. But when they're rarely relevant like it's been for a while, they are basically the Buffalo/Albany market so not worth much.

I kind of figured you might be including the NYC market but Syracuse is 4 hours from NYC. Syracuse tried marketing themselves as "New York's college team" a few years ago and were even playing 1 game per season at MetLife but they stopped that. SU does have alot of alums in NYC but the ones that are there are pretty apathetic towards football.

I kind of figured you might be including the NYC market but Syracuse is 4 hours from NYC. Syracuse tried marketing themselves as "New York's college team" a few years ago and were even playing 1 game per season at MetLife but they stopped that. SU does have alot of alums in NYC but the ones that are there are pretty apathetic towards football.
I wouldn't mind taking BC too just to get into that market. I'd have to think a sports crazy town like Boston is would love having basketball programs like KU and Arizona coming in every year.

I think what Yormark is trying for with the UConn move is this-he's still looking for ways to grow (in addition to whatever dialogue we can assume is happening behind this league and the ACC schools they're having quiet conversations with), and it shows this league is very stable. The Big 12 probably just has to outlast the ACC to survive for the foreseeable future as the "third power 5 league", and I think gobbling up basketball powerhouses like UConn is the easiest way to do that. March Madness is probably the single biggest event on the college sports calendar-so there's a bit of value there in my view. Does it make you equal to the superleagues in terms of revenue? Obviously not. Does it force ESPN and FOX to keep you at the table? Probably.

Here's the only thing with realignment for me-Adding the Pac 2 makes no sense whatsoever. Both those towns are dumps. Neither are easy to get to. The college sports scene in both states is dominated by their respective big brothers. Do they give you more of a place at the table in that Wilner window late on Saturday nights? I guess, but doesn't having CU, Arizona, Utah, ASU, and BYU already in the conference do that for you? Not only that, but the Big 10 is a lot more of a player in that late window, which means FOX is basically spoken for in that window most weeks. If I'm the Big 12, I just encourage my Western members to be fine with a game or two a season in that spot (the Arizona schools won't play home games any earlier in September) to keep ESPN happy and call it a day.

Big 12 goes to 24 via FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, VA Tech, Pitt & Louisville.

B1G takes UNC & UVA.

ACC backfills.
You'd think if UNC goes to the B1G, them and Duke would still play each other in basketball yearly. They could just alternate who plays at home every year. If they didn't do that, it would suck. It's the best rivalry in basketball imho. Hell, sports in general, it would be top 5 pretty easily.

You'd think if UNC goes to the B1G, them and Duke would still play each other in basketball yearly. They could just alternate who plays at home every year. If they didn't do that, it would suck. It's the best rivalry in basketball imho. Hell, sports in general, it would be top 5 pretty easily.
Yeah. There are certain hoops rivalries that have to be played regardless of whether the teams are in the same conference. UNC-Duke heads that list, but basketball season also needs KU-Mizzou, Cuse-Georgetown, Indiana-Kentucky, Cincinnati-Xavier, etc.

Yeah. There are certain hoopscurt rivalries that have to be played regardless of whether the teams are in the same conference. UNC-Duke heads that list, but basketball season also needs KU-Mizzou, Cuse-Georgetown, Indiana-Kentucky, Cincinnati-Xavier, etc.
Completely agree. Those games are all fun to watch. They might be friendly with each other off the court, they sure as hell aren't on it.

Completely agree. Those games are all fun to watch. They might be friendly with each other off the court, they sure as hell aren't on it.
It's a lot easier to schedule OOC bball rivalry games. Illinois and Mizzou have been playing each other for like at least 50 years and neither have been in the same conference the entire time.

Yeah. There are certain hoops rivalries that have to be played regardless of whether the teams are in the same conference. UNC-Duke heads that list, but basketball season also needs KU-Mizzou, Cuse-Georgetown, Indiana-Kentucky, Cincinnati-Xavier, etc.
Football and basketball just need separate conferences.

A part of me thinks that we'll look back in 20 years and see how this process of forming mega-conferences was a disaster for college football.

Rog. But I think the point was what we call the conferences and that SEC is the only conference name that makes sense. Now, CSAFC (a la MVFC) would make sense for this.
I understand, I was just highlighting that the definition of large geographical areas like the "SE" are broad (I'm pretty sure that the USGS and Census Bureau have different definitions for the SE) ... that's all. But yes, the Valley is a much better example.

Let's agree that the most egregious violator of this principle though has to be the SWAC - there's nothing southwest about them.

Football and basketball just need separate conferences.

A part of me thinks that we'll look back in 20 years and see how this process of forming mega-conferences was a disaster for college football.

I'm ready for separate football and basketball conferences too.

I'm ready for separate football and basketball conferences too.
More accurately, I think we want there to be national leagues for football which have unified rules and a playoff system for each league with separate media contracts that pay each member of the league equally.

Then, we should have regional conferences for all other sports. It makes sense.

It's a lot easier to schedule OOC bball rivalry games. Illinois and Mizzou have been playing each other for like at least 50 years and neither have been in the same conference the entire time.
The ACC v SEC rivalries have been running consistently in football, it's entirely doable if massive realignment doesn't happen every 3 years.

More accurately, I think we want there to be national leagues for football which have unified rules and a playoff system for each league with separate media contracts that pay each member of the league equally.

Then, we should have regional conferences for all other sports. It makes sense.
The rub is that a top tier football league really needs to be smaller than 130+ schools.

Instead of making some sensible, but difficult choices like telling UConn, Vanderbilt, etc that they aren't playing DI football, we get this Jenga game of plucking teams from one unsteady tower and plugging them into another maybe slightly less unsteady tower.

Back