What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Okay - because we never get enough of this ****, this news about foreign investors looking at a superconference made me think about how I think they should go about it. First of all, if I were them, I would pitch this aggressively with a "take it or leave it" attitude. There are a lot of egos that will want to move things around to their benefit, but an outside group with an aggressive attitude can probably shut down a lot of UT, Bama, tOSU, etc whining.

This is what I would pitch: 40 schools. 4 10 team divisions, geographically divided as to cut down travel and grow regional interest. You play every team in your division once, then one team from every other division on a rotating basis. No protected cross-region rivalries. Doesn't matter anymore. Cross-regional games are sprinkled throughout the year so that TV has national games every weekend.

No games outside of the superconference. Season starts on Labor Day weekend, if teams want to play a lower division team in an exhibition game scenario on the weekend before, that's their right, but it will not count in the standings.

Playoffs - top 3 teams from each division advance, plus 4 wild cards (adjustable, maybe 2 each and 8 wild cards). No byes. Tiebreakers to determine seeding, not committees. First round games at higher seed; quarters, semis, and championship games at neutral sites, possibly as 'bowls'.

Teams that do not make the playoff are allowed to play in bowl games against any opponent, obviously as exhibition games. No 6 win rule because who cares.

Fire away,

Okay - because we never get enough of this ****, this news about foreign investors looking at a superconference made me think about how I think they should go about it. First of all, if I were them, I would pitch this aggressively with a "take it or leave it" attitude. There are a lot of egos that will want to move things around to their benefit, but an outside group with an aggressive attitude can probably shut down a lot of UT, Bama, tOSU, etc whining.

This is what I would pitch: 40 schools. 4 10 team divisions, geographically divided as to cut down travel and grow regional interest. You play every team in your division once, then one team from every other division on a rotating basis. No protected cross-region rivalries. Doesn't matter anymore. Cross-regional games are sprinkled throughout the year so that TV has national games every weekend.

No games outside of the superconference. Season starts on Labor Day weekend, if teams want to play a lower division team in an exhibition game scenario on the weekend before, that's their right, but it will not count in the standings.

Playoffs - top 3 teams from each division advance, plus 4 wild cards (adjustable, maybe 2 each and 8 wild cards). No byes. Tiebreakers to determine seeding, not committees. First round games at higher seed; quarters, semis, and championship games at neutral sites, possibly as 'bowls'.

Teams that do not make the playoff are allowed to play in bowl games against any opponent, obviously as exhibition games. No 6 win rule because who cares.

Fire away,
Assuming this was bought into, what happens to the other programs that don't get the invite? I assume they play in some other league, no? But who's going to pay any money to watch that POS league when everyone knows that the big boys are playing on ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX? It'd be like trying to convince ABC/ESPN to buy the media rights to minor league baseball. So, I assume those programs are going to wither and die, and without the financial support from football what happens to all of the other non-revenue sports?

Assuming this was bought into, what happens to the other programs that don't get the invite? I assume they play in some other league, no? But who's going to pay any money to watch that POS league when everyone knows that the big boys are playing on ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX? It'd be like trying to convince ABC/ESPN to buy the media rights to minor league baseball. So, I assume those programs are going to wither and die, and without the financial support from football what happens to all of the other non-revenue sports?
Non-revenue sports die and the USA’s Olympic dominance ends. I guess I’ll have to pick a new country to root for. GO CHINA!!!

I am of the whole hearted opinion that college football is headed on a path that destroys college athletics, at least in the short term, maybe long term.

I definitely think the only sports that are "safe" right now are men's and women's basketball. I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was a college coach in any other sport.

I am of the whole hearted opinion that college football is headed on a path that destroys college athletics, at least in the short term, maybe long term.

I definitely think the only sports that are "safe" right now are men's and women's basketball. I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was a college coach in any other sport.
I agree that IF they go down this path that will happen, but I think because that's what would happen there will never be a superconference where some teams are left out. The optics and implications will never allow this to happen. Just my opinion.

I agree that IF they go down this path that will happen, but I think because that's what would happen there will never be a superconference where some teams are left out. The optics and implications will never allow this to happen. Just my opinion.

I would like to think you're right, but money talks and if enough cash is waved under enough ADs' and presidents' noses, all else will be forgotten.

So, CFB will be dead in a couple of years as it becomes NFL lite.

There's the option to drop down to G5, FCS, and D2 which is something I will seriously consider. I can just subscribe to ESPN+ and watch any game that is on that platform live or on demand. Going to be curious about that standalone ESPN all in one subscription that will launch next year.

IMO, many of the legacy Big 12 Presidents are probably having buyers remorse with adding Houston, Cincy, BYU and UCF. I think if they could do it over with hindsight, they would have just waited to backfill with CU, Utah, AZ and ASU and everybody would be making more money on a per school basis. Elevating G5 programs is a terrible idea and it was a panic move from the Big 12, although I understand that at the time it was the only move they thought they had.

IMO, many of the legacy Big 12 Presidents are probably having buyers remorse with adding Houston, Cincy, BYU and UCF. I think if they could do it over with hindsight, they would have just waited to backfill with CU, Utah, AZ and ASU and everybody would be making more money on a per school basis. Elevating G5 programs is a terrible idea and it was a panic move from the Big 12, although I understand that at the time it was the only move they thought they had.
It was likely a main reason the Big 12 was able to jump the line and renegotiate its media rights ahead of the Pac-12. If not for this move, the Big 12 would have been sitting at 8 teams, the Pac would have been moving first, and the Pac would have been able to aggressively poach the Big 12 if desired (for example, go to 16 via TCU, TTU, OSU & KU or some other combo).

It was likely a main reason the Big 12 was able to jump the line and renegotiate its media rights ahead of the Pac-12. If not for this move, the Big 12 would have been sitting at 8 teams, the Pac would have been moving first, and the Pac would have been able to aggressively poach the Big 12 if desired (for example, go to 16 via TCU, TTU, OSU & KU or some other combo).
Yeah that’s true, which is really stupid if we’re being honest. None of those programs actually bring added value to this conference outside of pure inventory.

Where I'm leaning right now is that the ACC survives after a mass exodus by merging with the Pac-2 and grabbing schools like UConn, USF, Tulane and others to create a somewhat viable national conference.

Where I'm leaning right now is that the ACC survives after a mass exodus by merging with the Pac-2 and grabbing schools like UConn, USF, Tulane and others to create a somewhat viable national conference.
The Pacific Atlantic Coast Conference (PACC) would be hilarious.

There's the option to drop down to G5, FCS, and D2 which is something I will seriously consider. I can just subscribe to ESPN+ and watch any game that is on that platform live or on demand. Going to be curious about that standalone ESPN all in one subscription that will launch next year.
The production quality isn't great but almost all of the RMAC games are streamed for free. Go to the RMAC conference website, go to football, schedule, and the links are there.

The production quality isn't great but almost all of the RMAC games are streamed for free. Go to the RMAC conference website, go to football, schedule, and the links are there.

Yeah I saw that on the RMAC website...I just got to commit to following D2 football.

As I look at these conferences and team performances, I keep getting more upset at realignment and how badly the Pac-12 fvcked up.

Should have committed to owning the growing West.

Almost immediately, should have been a Pac-14 via Boise State and BYU. But arrogance and hubris resulted in "We can't take a religious school or a former JUCO because of our academic reputation."

Should have, at the same time, laid out a path to membership with SDSU and UNLV. The 2 largest remaining markets in the West but in need of facility upgrades and, in the case of UNLV prior to this year and last, any football chops.

But all that was beneath us, right?

So now we've got USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon in an Upper Midwest/ Rust Belt/ Mid Atlantic conference. We've got Cal & Stanford in anAtlantic Coast and Central US conference. And we've got CU, Utah, UA & ASU in a 2nd Tier Farm Belt/ 2nd Tier Texas / Elevated Eastern G5 conference.

Yeah. Owning the West was definitely the wrong move. Glad it worked out the way it did. 🙄

As I look at these conferences and team performances, I keep getting more upset at realignment and how badly the Pac-12 fvcked up.

Almost immediately, should have been a Pac-14 via Boise State and BYU. But arrogance and hubris resulted in "We can't take a religious school or a former JUCO because of our academic reputation."

Should have, at the same time, laid out a path to membership with SDSU and UNLV. The 2 largest remaining markets in the West but in need of facility upgrades and, in the case of UNLV prior to this year and last, any football chops.

So now we've got USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon in an Upper Midwest/ Rust Belt/ Mid Atlantic conference. We've got Cal & Stanford in anAtlantic Coast and Central US conference. And we've got CU, Utah, UA & ASU in a 2nd Tier Farm Belt/ 2nd Tier Texas / Elevated Eastern G5 conference.

Yeah. Owning the West was definitely the wrong move. Glad it worked out the way it did. 🙄

The wrong move was not letting Texas and OU in. Those were by far the 2 biggest name brand schools west of the Mississippi that they could've landed when they had the chance. But hey, they kept their pride.

Seeing how good the Pac-12 was last year really put a point on it too, and that was with USC having a down year.

We could also be looking at a year with former Pac12 teams taking one or both BigXII CCG spots, and one of the B1G10 CCG slots.

The top tier programs were always there. There was always a framework for a legit power conference if they just prioritized being able to be on in prime time slots.

Seeing how good the Pac-12 was last year really put a point on it too, and that was with USC having a down year.

We could also be looking at a year with former Pac12 teams taking one or both BigXII CCG spots, and one of the B1G10 CCG slots.

The top tier programs were always there. There was always a framework for a legit power conference if they just prioritized being able to be on in prime time slots.

The last paragraph I can agree with. Now as for a conference network....

The last paragraph I can agree with. Now as for a conference network....
Should have been 1 PACN that focused on football and basketball along with a mobile app to carry everything at lower production quality. Those other sports should have each had a weekly "Game of the Week" time slot on the main network. Beyond that, secondary deals with networks to make sure every football game is able to be seen by anyone in the country. This wasn't hard.

Should have been 1 PACN that focused on football and basketball along with a mobile app to carry everything at lower production quality. Those other sports should have each had a weekly "Game of the Week" time slot on the main network. Beyond that, secondary deals with networks to make sure every football game is able to be seen by anyone in the country. This wasn't hard.
That doesn't save the network. Partnering with Fox or ESPN does.

The wrong move was not letting Texas and OU in. Those were by far the 2 biggest name brand schools west of the Mississippi that they could've landed when they had the chance. But hey, they kept their pride.
Correct. Not getting those 2 killed any future expansion as there were no more options on the table that truly move the needle. The only way to go was east as you have a natural border to the west.

The Pac 12 was essentially dead on arrival as they made the 2 key mistakes that ultimately sunk the conference when it was formed

a) not getting Texas and OU - as said above, this killed any future expansion
b) not partnering with Fox or ESPN for the P12 Network - this cost you market penetration and in turn attention and money

Back