What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

We need rules and enforcement on tampering (when and how players & coaches can be contacted by other programs).

Beyond that, I don't blame the guy considering the money that's being thrown around by P4 schools to land a starting QB out of the portal. If someone told me that if I'd preserve eligibility for another year and be able to put a million or more in my account by doing it, I think I'd have made the same decision. He was a mercenary for UNLV, too, who had already been with his teammates for 4 years where he signed out of high school. At this point, it's a job.

No way that is true about UNLV not having the money. Just look at whose name is on their practice facility and that is the same person who owns the NBA's Rockets plus approached the NHL about getting an expansion team in Houston.

And the first CFB NIL contractual holdout commences. The countdown to NFL style suckiness is on.

What is so wrong about the NFL?
Stability is good for everyone
I agree that contracts can suck and can sometimes not reflect future performance, but at least they are stable
The NFL already exists. College football was different. It’s less so now. So there’s nothing particularly wrong with the NFL, but there’s no need for two of them.

What is so wrong about the NFL?
Stability is good for everyone
I agree that contracts can suck and can sometimes not reflect future performance, but at least they are stable
Not Sure answered for me. I will simply add, I do not like the NFL, it's model of business, and a multitude of things about it. I greatly prefer CFB. If CFB becomes NFL, I'm done.

I'm just assuming you wouldn't be in here talking about NIL holdouts today if this kid was paid what he was promised
Fair. I think the problem goes a lot deeper than just a potential hold out. It was pretty much inevitable players would want to be paid when the money changing hands got to be as big as it is surrounding CFB. Money ruins everything. CFB used to be played by players who were happy to get a scholly and be a BMOC. Of course, some harbored hopes of the NFL, but most never got that, so they were, by and large, playing because it was their last chance to do so. That made a better quality game, at least in my view.

Once TV contracts, ticket prices that rivalled the NFL prices and merch sales generated a boatload of money for people who weren't taking the physical risk, the calculus changed. I sympathize with players saying "where's mine?" under the total hypocrisy of the student-athlete model for them vs. tons of cash for the institutions, coaches and NCAA.

So now, with the model morphing to paying players, it is the wild west, and a total ****show. Once you impose regulation, which again is inevitable, given the money in play, it looks like the NFL, just played on Saturday. As @Not Sure pointed out, we already have that. Honestly, that model is already done better by the NFL, even though I do not prefer watching games played under that model.

What we will have lost are the oddities and irregularities that made CFB fun. Regional rivalries, traditional conference match-ups and rivalry games, a bizarre Bowl game line up with overlapping games on Jan.1, a completely goofball method of determining a National Champ and the year-long arguments that followed. The excitement of landing that blue chip recruit and having a reasonable expectation he would be there for 3-4 years. That all dies on the altar of cash and pretty much is dead now.

I remember going to SWC games for less than $10. I saw Phi Slamma Jamma play at Hofheinz for less than $10 a game. The money wasn't that big and the players played for schollies because nobody was getting rich off of what they did. Again, money ruins everything.

Now, every bowl game has some soulless corporate sponsor. Ticket and concession prices are approaching NFL levels. Players jump ship the second somebody throws them an extra Benjamin. Rosters turn over even faster than NFL rosters. Conferences have been largely made silly mockeries of their former selves and longstanding rivalries aren't played anymore.

So, the more it becomes the NFL, the less I am interested. I don't much follow recruiting or the rosters anymore because it changes from minute to minute.

Just my opinion. I realize many like the NFL and CFB morphing into that model is not a big deal. To those I say, enjoy.

Last edited:
Fair. I think the problem goes a lot deeper than just a potential hold out. It was pretty much inevitable players would want to be paid when the money changing hands got to be as big as it is surrounding CFB. Money ruins everything. CFB used to be played by players who were happy to get a scholly and be a BMOC. Of course, some harbored hopes of the NFL, but most never got that, so they were, by and large, playing because it was their last chance to do so. That made a better quality game, at least in my view.

Once TV contracts, ticket prices that rivalled the NFL prices and merch sales generated a boatload of money for people who weren't taking the physical risk, the calculus changed. I sympathize with players saying "where's mine?" under the total hypocrisy of the student-athlete model for them vs. tons of cash for the institutions, coaches and NCAA.

So now, with the model morphing to paying players, it is the wild west, and a total ****show. Once you impose regulation, which again is inevitable, given the money in play, it looks like the NFL, just played on Saturday. As @Not Sure pointed out, we already have that. Honestly, that model is already done better by the NFL, even though I do not prefer watching games played under that model.

What we will have lost are the oddities and irregularities that made CFB fun. Regional rivalries, traditional conference match-ups and rivalry games, a bizarre Bowl game line up with overlapping games on Jan.1, a completely goofball method of determining a National Champ and the year-long arguments that followed. The excitement of landing that blue chip recruit and having a reasonable expectation he would be there for 3-4 years. That all dies on the altar of cash and pretty much is dead now.

I remember going to SWC games for less than $10. I saw Phi Slamma Jamma play at Hofheinz for less than $10 a game. The money wasn't that big and the players played for schollies because nobody was getting rich off of what they did. Again, money ruins everything.

Now, every bowl game has some soulless corporate sponsor. Ticket and concession prices are approaching NFL levels. Players jump ship the second somebody throws them an extra Benjamin. Rosters turn over even faster than NFL rosters. Conferences have been largely made silly mockeries of their former selves and longstanding rivalries aren't played anymore.

So, the more it becomes the NFL, the less I am interested. I don't much follow recruiting or the rosters anymore because it changes from minute to minute.

Just my opinion. I realize many like the NFL and CFB morphing into that model is not a big deal. To those I say, enjoy.
That's all valid and I share some of the same opinions. I would argue that "playing for scholarships" is a bit naive, as even CU didn't build a Natty program by offering guys a free education and being the BMOC. The money has obviously increased and every player is trying to participate in it, but these players have been choosing schools based on the bag for a long time, it's now just out in the open, and combined with the open transfer rules has created the perfect storm of chaos.

I think as regulation sets in, schools start facilitating and paying players directly under a "level" cap, and contracts start to come into play, the player movement between programs will settle down and things will go back to more of a 3-4 year career at one school situation.

I also think you're selling college football short by saying the money is making it the same thing as the NFL. Sure, the business side and TV stuff is trending toward an NFL model, but the actual games are still so much different and that won't change. The talent disparity across the country is what makes CFB exciting and creates big upsets. The offensive and defensive schemes and playcalling are wildly different from the NFL and is also what has always made CFB unique. Some rivalries are gone and that does suck, but most are still in place and there are more big time matchups now than ever, which I think is a good thing.

As for the postseason, I never really cared for the old, old system of AP voters determining the Natty matchup, and the BCS was a disaster. A playoff that allows more teams an opportunity and creates more meaningful games outside of the old bowl system is better, IMO. I get that winning the Rose Bowl or Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl was a great accomplishment, but it kind of had an orange slices feel to it. Like, you weren't the best and you didn't get to play for the Natty, but hey, at least you beat this other good program and won this consolation prize. I don't know, just kind of got stale, IMO.

The arguing over who deserves to be in and who got left out is part of the fun of CFB, which I acknowledge was also there in the old setup, but now the playoff tournament gets to be played and the winner of the tournament is a legit champion that had to win 3 or 4 straight against top 15 caliber opponents. That's hard to beat, IMO.

I understand the nostalgia around the older eras of CFB, and while I think conference realignment and unlimited transfers have been a net negative, there are many changes that have been good for the sport.

Not Sure answered for me. I will simply add, I do not like the NFL, it's model of business, and a multitude of things about it. I greatly prefer CFB. If CFB becomes NFL, I'm done.
I love CFB and there are dozens of things about CFB that should not and will not change.

My key items that do need to change

#1 = CONFERENCES, they suck and they are unnecessary and pretty sick of hearing about what they are doing because they serve ZERO purpose.
* All schools could stand on their own two feet once there was a decision about the levels of play that everyone fits into. P2, G5, FCS should be the three levels and they need there own names and operations and then each program will have equal decision making ability similarly based on NFL Franchise voting

#2 = SCHOLARSHIPS/NIL/TRANSFER PORTAL/SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES, all are clusterfukks,
* This is where Contracts come in to play (2-year min, 4-year max, with performance and other incentives). NIL must become REAL Name, Image, and Likeness, and can be built into an NIL Package related to video games, social media, advertising, commercials, etc... You do not Transfer, you renegotiate your contract, extend your contract, or go find a better contract elsewhere. No more tampering, have open free agency, and make it more transparent

#3 = EDUCATION, this is where CFB is the best, these are still young men and women (other sports) and they need to learn all the skills to be successful in sports, or media, or any other field that the majority of them need to get while performing their contractural duties playing sports, just like a Doctor would do if they are at the CU Medical Center in residency.

I think the CFP, the Conferences, and the Networks are killing CFB. The schools should be more independent as operators of their PROGRAM, but a collective part of their LEAGUES. Everything about CFB should be retained and magnified, especially Rivalries and big games. No more Body bag games, you play in your league within a pod structure or something creative to get to a 16 team playoff. I like the idea of having a single Pre-Season game against the league below you.

I think UNLV met today. They are driving things right now. MWC trying to offer what it can, Pac-12 on the table, and the Rebs seeing where the best money and positioning for the future would be (including whether to push for the AAC instead).

I think UNLV met today. They are driving things right now. MWC trying to offer what it can, Pac-12 on the table, and the Rebs seeing where the best money and positioning for the future would be (including whether to push for the AAC instead).

It is all the true open market in a sense. AFA would be much better in the AAC, but for the bone the MWC threw them to potentially stay. Dog eat dog.

Funny, but it's silly to put CSU down with USU. It makes perfect sense that they were in the first four. They're in the top tier of schools in the MWC academically (low bar, I know), they have good facilities, they have a large population base to draw from, and their non-football sports are competitive.

When you look at who they're courting - UTSA, UNLV, etc - it's dumb to think CSU is somehow not at that level.

Now **** that guy for making me stick up for the sheep.

Funny, but it's silly to put CSU down with USU. It makes perfect sense that they were in the first four. They're in the top tier of schools in the MWC academically (low bar, I know), they have good facilities, they have a large population base to draw from, and their non-football sports are competitive.

When you look at who they're courting - UTSA, UNLV, etc - it's dumb to think CSU is somehow not at that level.

Now **** that guy for making me stick up for the sheep.
Utah State has actually won a conference football championship in the last 20 years. And WAY more conference basketball championships. FWIW, knowing that football is what moves the needle and men's basketball is just a footnote in all the re-allignment stuff, Utah State is a really good basketball program

I would not dismiss the likehood of Sacramento State & UC Davis moving up to FBS. If you look at UC Davis' athletic revenues, it's basically the same as Wyoming's if you added the MWC's media money to UC Davis' revenues. Sac State is about $10M less than UC Davis. Sac State would be a good travel pair with SJSU and that would at least help with the MWC's media rights negotiations.

I think Texas State could very well go to the Pac-12. The Sun Belt will have no problems finding another Texas school to pull up from FCS. They already have to travel a little distance in the SBC.

Back