What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ UCF - September 28 @ 1:30 PM MT Pregame Thread

Meh - coaching matters. Cutler went from Shanahan to QB hell Chicago. Can't prove it, but I bet Cutler would have continued to have productive seasons with Shanahan whether in Denver or DC.
No doubt that coaching matters, and that is why things are even more perplexing in terms of the brain trust of QB, QB Coach, OC, HC

No doubt that coaching matters, and that is why things are even more perplexing in terms of the brain trust of QB, QB Coach, OC, HC

I think it's obvious that where Prime is going to sink or swim is with staff hires. He seems to have gotten it right with Livingston, now, assuming he stays for next year, whether he can get it right with OC. I can't imagine Shurmur is here next year.

I love Shedeur. It doesn't mean I can't question some of his decisions.

You know what, I also love to be bowl eligible. As a fan, is it so much to ask when you have this level of talents in your team?
Setting aside all the bulljunk about "dominating" and "showing out", if this team can't get to at least 7 wins, then they drastically underperformed, and I will consider it a failure of coaching.

Meh - coaching matters. Cutler went from Shanahan to QB hell Chicago. Can't prove it, but I bet Cutler would have continued to have productive seasons with Shanahan whether in Denver or DC.

Cutler's numbers were pretty consistent between Denver and Chicago. I excluded 2016 where he only played five games and dealt with injuries throughout the season.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 9.00.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 9.01.37 AM.png

I think Shedeur can be one of the greatest QB’s of all time, period. But to see the vanilla 7 on 7 offense we run is startling. The NFL is not going to have him play this way at all. He will be under center, he will be required to have good clean ball fake skills, he will throw mostly short balls quickly to just get positive yards, he will have RB and TE dump offs. We must help the OL with chips and doubles, and Shedeur needs to help himself with crisp ball fakes and real play action. Just clean it up and he can dismiss all the other things. There were games to be won that Shedeur helped cause the demise, specifically Stanford. I hope these next 8 games are an evolution.
Any QB would air it out on 90% of plays if you let him. Playcalling decisions are 100% on coaches. It’s shocking that a former NFL head coach turned college OC doesn’t have a more fine-tuned offense.

Cutler's numbers were pretty consistent between Denver and Chicago. I excluded 2016 where he only played five games and dealt with injuries throughout the season.

View attachment 76459

View attachment 76460

His Chicago numbers are better than I thought they were. Compare them to what the Broncos had between Cutler and PFM. ****ing McDaniels.

I still think though that if Shanny the GM hadn't have gotten Shanny the HC fired in Denver, Cutler could have been an elite QB, which was all I was pointing out. Comparing Shedeur to Cutler is actually a good comparison in terms of what the right coach can do for a QB.

His Chicago numbers are better than I thought they were. Compare them to what the Broncos had between Cutler and PFM. ****ing McDaniels.

I still think though that if Shanny the GM hadn't have gotten Shanny the HC fired in Denver, Cutler could have been an elite QB, which was all I was pointing out. Comparing Shedeur to Cutler is actually a good comparison in terms of what the right coach can do for a QB.
Cutler threw too many interceptions, and Shedeur takes too many sacks

Watching the Illinois v Nebraska game was painful in that Altmyer managed that game brilliantly, and they ran a pro offense to control the game flow

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.08.53 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.13.55 AM.png

Colorado gave up 6 sacks and Illinois gave up 2 sacks
Colorado ran for 46 yards and Illinois ran for 166 yards

Illinois was rarely in 4 or 5 wide sets because they know that in the B1G or SEC or NFL, that just does not work anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.08.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.08.25 AM.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.13.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.13.13 AM.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 1
Cutler threw too many interceptions, and Shedeur takes too many sacks

Watching the Illinois v Nebraska game was painful in that Altmyer managed that game brilliantly, and they ran a pro offense to control the game flow

View attachment 76461View attachment 76464

Colorado gave up 6 sacks and Illinois gave up 2 sacks
Colorado ran for 46 yards and Illinois ran for 166 yards

Illinois was rarely in 4 or 5 wide sets because they know that in the B1G or SEC or NFL, that just does not work anymore

I'm not sure it's accurate to compare a QB in the Illinois offense to a QB in the Colorado offense. Bielema is perfect for the Big Ten and has already started to be successful in building his team the way he has had success with in the Big Ten in the past. Illinois's OL is much more well coached and they've built a team suited for what Bielema's teams always do. It is also worth noting that Bielema and his OC have had a 3 year head start on Prime and Shurmur, so they're been able to build for what they want to do.

I'm not sure it's accurate to compare a QB in the Illinois offense to a QB in the Colorado offense. Bielema is perfect for the Big Ten and has already started to be successful in building his team the way he has had success with in the Big Ten in the past. Illinois's OL is much more well coached and they've built a team suited for what Bielema's teams always do. It is also worth noting that Bielema and his OC have had a 3 year head start on Prime and Shurmur, so they're been able to build for what they want to do.
So Bielema knows how to build a competent OL. That is pretty much the only difference I see.

I'll give you Russ (though he only had him a year), but would we call Brandon Allen a better than adequate QB?
He's a nine year vet in the NFL, so yeah, I'd say he was better than adequate. Being an Arky fan, he was definitely more than adequate in college. Career 134 QBR in college 57 % Completion avg. 7.3 ypa 64/26 TD/INT ratio, I'd take that everyday of the week for a QB.

Cody played 4 years and never had a year below 100 QBR.

I know most of you are mad at his dad, but he could have easily won 10 games in a year if he had a WR that wasn’t named Scotty McKnight, who should have been a 3rd option at best.

Sure he was short and hit the OL helmets on some throws, but I don’t think he had a noodle arm by any means.

Sure he was short and hit the OL helmets on some throws
Little Giants Dont Be Talkin About My Momma GIF

Cody played 4 years and never had a year below 100 QBR.

I know most of you are mad at his dad, but he could have easily won 10 games in a year if he had a WR that wasn’t named Scotty McKnight, who should have been a 3rd option at best.

Sure he was short and hit the OL helmets on some throws, but I don’t think he had a noodle arm by any means.
Wow. May I suggest a visit to the optometrist?

Back