What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs Utah 12/12 10:00 AM Fox BIG NOON SATURDAY - GAME THREAD

Is it a mere coincidence that our passing game devolved once KD Nixon came back?
I’m probably finding problems where none exist, and I freely admit my anti KD bias, but it’s hard for me to not notice the passing game has gotten a lot worse with him playing.

I think that it has been difficult integrate KD in. I do think Chev tried to feature him against SDSU and that flopped. Although Arias has not been productive, I am an advocate for bigger WR's out there + Stanley. I think this helps Noyer some. I think KD Nixon is still a good player but the younger guys have out-shined him. I just don't know how much opportunity there should really be to showcase his skills.

I think the passing attack drop-off is more due to TE shortage, the Oline troubles at SDSU, and more film available for SN. Growing pains as well. Against Zona, Sam made some bad throws and decisions, but they dropped some too. It was not pretty, but I did think SN made enough plays for a decent game even with the interceptions. Neither of those deep throws were great, but KD and Arias did have plays on the ball in 1on1 coverage. Hit on one of those, maybe another 7 points and it does not look so bad.

This will be their fourth game of the season, I believe.

They got blown out by USC. It wasn't really much of a game.

They jumped out to a big lead that they couldn't hold onto against a mediocre Washington team.

They held on to their lead against Oregon State in a game in which OSU was missing their quarterback, and essentially their only offensive weapons.

Utah is typically a well-coached physical team, that could beat us, if they play better than they have so far this season. But I haven't seen anything scary about the 2020 Utes (I've watched all of their games) unless you want to count a bunch of cheap shots. Cover the tight end and **** those guys.

Utah's turnovers were the story of USC and Washington... I expect a closer game.

Whittingham teams seem to be a gritty bunch of guys who make there opponent earn the win. There fairly disciplined but predictable. The Buffs will prevail because they know what's at steak, playing at home is always a plus and it will be the seniors last game at Folsom..

As far as USC-CU in the conference championship.......I think unless USC makes a big jump in the CFP rankings tomorrow, the conference is going to do everything possible to get both us and USC into the NY6. The UW-Oregon loser is coming here on December 19 if we win Friday and USC beats UCLA Saturday.

Last edited:
I think that it has been difficult integrate KD in. I do think Chev tried to feature him against SDSU and that flopped. Although Arias has not been productive, I am an advocate for bigger WR's out there + Stanley. I think this helps Noyer some. I think KD Nixon is still a good player but the younger guys have out-shined him. I just don't know how much opportunity there should really be to showcase his skills.

I think the passing attack drop-off is more due to TE shortage, the Oline troubles at SDSU, and more film available for SN. Growing pains as well. Against Zona, Sam made some bad throws and decisions, but they dropped some too. It was not pretty, but I did think SN made enough plays for a decent game even with the interceptions. Neither of those deep throws were great, but KD and Arias did have plays on the ball in 1on1 coverage. Hit on one of those, maybe another 7 points and it does not look so bad.
Meh. I think its hard to argue you played like ass when you run for 400 yards on somebody.

Is it a mere coincidence that our passing game devolved once KD Nixon came back?
I’m probably finding problems where none exist, and I freely admit my anti KD bias, but it’s hard for me to not notice the passing game has gotten a lot worse with him playing.
This is right on. The chemistry of the receiving core has not been the same. He is a good kid but we have better players for sure. These kinds of things can upset the apple cart for sure.

I’m not sure CU gets gaping holes up front this week like they did at UA.

Might be a good time to get a slammer - as opposed to a slasher - some carries.

As far as USC-CU in the conference championship.......I think unless USC makes a big jump in the CFP rankings tomorrow, the conference is going to do everything possible to get both us and USC into the NY6. The UW-Oregon loser is coming here on December 19 if we win Friday and USC beats UCLA Saturday.
That makes some sense.

For you guys who are smart on your X's and O's, I'm wondering if the loss of a credible TE receiving threat correlates to those numbers.
I think the lack of a receiving TE threat is definitely hurting the offense in general, but I'm not sure it fully explains the disappearance of Stanley's involvement. Maybe teams have started keying on Stanley in the passing game, but they just haven't made it a point to get him the ball the last couple weeks.

Agreed. The RB position is somewhat similar, as when Mangham is the featured RB, they don't seem to have the same explosiveness as when Broussard or Clayton carry the rock. Mangham is great in short yardage and goal line situations, and always has the potential for a big run.

This will be their fourth game of the season, I believe.

They got blown out by USC. It wasn't really much of a game.

They jumped out to a big lead that they couldn't hold onto against a mediocre Washington team.

They held on to their lead at home against Oregon State in a game in which OSU was missing their quarterback, and essentially their only offensive weapons.

Utah is typically a well-coached physical team, that could beat us, if they play better than they have so far this season. But I haven't seen anything scary about the 2020 Utes (I've watched all of their games) unless you want to count a bunch of cheap shots. Cover the tight end and **** those guys.

You're right.

For some reason I thought they had only played 2.

@Not Sure is this just a coincidence or a correlation to Nixon being back the last two games?

Agree Nixon coming back (and a lack of TE threat over the middle) has taken away from Stanley but don't overlook Vontae's impact either. After sitting out the UCLA game, he had 3 catches in the Stanford game and he has 11 of the 29 completions from Sam over the last two games.

I'm not an XO's guy at all but the 3-3-5 that SDSU and UA play is supposed to clog up the middle where Stanley eats and that could have an impact too.

Overall I think it's a bunch of factors on top of Chev learning how to best use all the WRs he has at his disposal.

As many ideas that have been expressed about how the P12 south title should play out. The link below from Kyle Bonagura of espn explains a logical path forward for the Buffs and the P12 final games of the 2020 season.

It's more than just CU fans who believe this is the appropriate solution

• Duration of isolation and precautions
    • For most persons with COVID-19 illness, isolation and precautions can generally be discontinued 10 days after symptom onset and resolution of fever for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing medications, and with improvement of other symptoms.
    • For persons who never develop symptoms, isolation and other precautions can be discontinued 10 days after the date of their first positive RT-PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

So, no practice for Kutsch, but seems like he could be out of isolation by Friday depending on when he was tested and whether he had symptoms.

@Not Sure is this just a coincidence or a correlation to Nixon being back the last two games?

I believe there’s a correlation. Any ball thrown to KD is a ball not thrown to Stanley, Rice or Shenault. I do agree that the injuries at TE have certainly contributed to the passing game struggles.

Mangham is great in short yardage and goal line situations, and always has the potential for a big run.
Does he have potential for a big run because he's never actually had a big run? My hope is that Clayton takes the taste he got from Sat night, works his ass off this week, to get solidly in the #2 RB slot for this Friday.

Agreed. The RB position is somewhat similar, as when Mangham is the featured RB, they don't seem to have the same explosiveness as when Broussard or Clayton carry the rock. Mangham is great in short yardage and goal line situations, and always has the potential for a big run.

Also, I like that Mangham seems pretty secure with the ball. I think he had one fumble last year as Frosh... Can give stable carries in the 4th Quarter if JB needs a spell.

It’s over.

Attachments

• B3F6C97A-8519-442F-A7AB-33016C62D11E.png
    B3F6C97A-8519-442F-A7AB-33016C62D11E.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 91
Agree Nixon coming back (and a lack of TE threat over the middle) has taken away from Stanley but don't overlook Vontae's impact either. After sitting out the UCLA game, he had 3 catches in the Stanford game and he has 11 of the 29 completions from Sam over the last two games.

I'm not an XO's guy at all but the 3-3-5 that SDSU and UA play is supposed to clog up the middle where Stanley eats and that could have an impact too.

Overall I think it's a bunch of factors on top of Chev learning how to best use all the WRs he has at his disposal.

So glad we played SDSU so we would have been prepared for UA's defense.

It’s over.

This would be like Texas getting a rematch with Oklahoma for the Big 12 title even though Iowa State has clearly been the best team in that league. Oh, wait-that's not happening. Why? The Big 12 isn't run by a ****ing idiot.

The conference ****ed up BIG time by not having us play Washington Thanksgiving weekend. This whole fiasco is on Pac 12 leadership. You can't tell a team who has avoided a COVID outbreak and won all their games "Hey, you can't play for a conference championship because you're not as big a brand as Oregon or Washington and USC are." **** you-we won out. Oregon and Washington have lost 3 games between them in the last two weeks to inferior competition. Nobody gives a rat's ass about the North division-the best two teams in this conference are USC and Colorado. I'm not the only one who thinks that-Oregon didn't even get a vote in this week's AP poll. Oregon and Washington don't have arguments here. Want to play for a conference title? Don't lose to Oregon State and Cal in back to back weeks, quack attack. Don't lose to a Stanford team that Colorado dominated for three quarters, puppies. There is NO excuse for not having USC and CU play this weekend or not saying if USC and CU are undefeated after next week they will play for a conference title. I've said it already-you can have Washington and Washington State play on December 19th to accomodate two south teams in the title game. This should not be that difficult, but the Pac 12 will find the most incompetent solution possible here.

If this team runs the table and doesn't get to play for a conference championship because USC couldn't keep their players healthy before they were supposed to play us, I think this institution needs to take a hard look at changing conferences again before the next round of TV deals.

Last edited:
This would be like Texas getting a rematch with Oklahoma for the Big 12 title even though Iowa State has clearly been the best team in that league. Oh, wait-that's not happening. Why? The Big 12 isn't run by a ****ing idiot.

The conference ****ed up BIG time by not having us play Washington Thanksgiving weekend. If we beat them, Larry Scott can sleep well knowing a team who has stayed healthy and won all their games isn't getting ****ed up. If we lose, we're not even talking about this.

If this team runs the table and doesn't get to play for a conference championship because USC couldn't keep their players healthy, I think this institution needs to take a hard look at changing conferences again before the next round of TV deals.
I still believe that if both CU and USC run the table and USC plays whatever team from the North wins out, the rest of college football will take appropriate action. Everyone understands the dynamic situations that are being experienced, and this change would be a natural extension of responding dynamically. It would probably take. UW or Oregan to step aside and acknowledge that the PAC would benefit from having the two best teams play, regardless of division.

That said we still need to get past BYU lite.

Back