What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
People... If 2010 is the example used for the argument that coaching was more important than talent, then it's a weak argument. If you want to argue against MM's coaching this year and use certain games to demonstrate that point, you also need to look at the games against UCLA, Utah and ASU. Is anyone going to argue that CU has equal talent to any of those 3 schools (or any other school in the P12 for that matter)? I didn't think so. Yet, we took UCLA to 2OT, Utah was a late pick 6 away from a W, and ASU was much closer than anyone would have thought. The coaches did a phenomenal job getting the players ready for those games, against teams that we were clearly out talented. But, in the end, we lost all 3 of those games because our talent on the field couldn't finish against their talent.

MM also punted late in the Utah game-hoping to get a stop that never came.

That may be what MacIntyre wants, a guy that will take direction vs. a vet like Baer who didn't want to be told how to do his job.
Based on early reported offers to Durkin and D Gibbs, not sure that was his original intention. But after apparently striking out with more established DCs, maybe he is moving on to the option of a younger guy who would essentially be a co-DC with HCMM while removing himself from other roles like DBs. I guess we will find out soon, hopefully.

MM also punted late in the Utah game-hoping to get a stop that never came.

What did we have them in, 3rd & 8? Then proceeded to allow a 10+ yard run between the tackles... out of a timeout. One of the most pissed off moments I had all season.

Based on early reported offers to Durkin and D Gibbs, not sure that was his original intention. But after apparently striking out with more established DCs, maybe he is moving on to the option of a younger guy who would essentially be a co-DC with HCMM while removing himself from other roles like DBs. I guess we will find out soon, hopefully.
You are assuming a lot here, especially in regards to Durkin.

That may be what MacIntyre wants, a guy that will take direction vs. a vet like Baer who didn't want to be told how to do his job.
Plausible. Mac was a badass DC at Duke and maybe Baer just wouldn't do what he wanted, half assed faked it, really tried but wasn't able or something. Who knows?

If we got a really good DB coach, that would take pressure off Mac and he could invest the time he was spending with DBs into being "co-DC" for a year.

What did we have them in, 3rd & 8? Then proceeded to allow a 10+ yard run between the tackles... out of a timeout. One of the most pissed off moments I had all season.

There were a lot of frustrating moments in that game. The INT that wasn't, the fake punt, the 3rd and 8, the pick 6. That game was definitely a SHOULD have won. Not COULD, but SHOULD have.

There were a lot of frustrating moments in that game. The INT that wasn't, the fake punt, the 3rd and 8, the pick 6. That game was definitely a SHOULD have won. Not COULD, but SHOULD have.
Those are regular mistakes made by this team, no flukes. It's who they are.

Something like that-I had a sinking feeling the minute MM sent Darragh O'Neill out there....We had trouble stopping them the entire game.

True, although I think Terrell Smith's INT that was ruled incomplete was an awful call. That play directly led to the fake punt and the rest probably wouldn't have happened. Regardless, you're right. This team just found ways to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory on a regular basis.

MM, you have been hanging out in the chat room by yourself for a week. No one is going to tell you who to hire. Close out the chat and hire someone today so my Nostradamus like prediction is proven!!!

His season has been over for quite some time. Something tells me, if he were the guy, RG and MM wouldn't be waiting until 6 days before the dead period ends to make it official.

I never thought he was our first choice. If Mac has done his due diligence with other candidates, I can see him working his way down the list to Clune in a few weeks. Which is where we are.

Exactly.

It was a team that couldn't seize momentum and get a stop after a score.

It was a team that struggled to win back momentum by answering a momentum play from the other team.

It was a team that simply made the big mistake or failed to make the play when the game was there for the taking.

They were what their record was.

The big question facing the team in 2015 is whether it can make the big jump from playing competitively to being a team that makes winning plays.

You are assuming a lot here, especially in regards to Durkin.
I disagree with you on this. Durkin was DC for 2 years at an SEC team, even if the HC had a heavy hand in the defense, Durkin was a hot enough candidate (as evidenced by his new home) that he did not have to accept being a DC-jr. under the HC at Colorado. The only way going to Colorado as a DC after leaving FL as at the same position could remotely be seen as career advancement would be if he was given free reign of the D.

Last edited:
Exactly.

It was a team that struggled to win back momentum by answering a momentum play from the other team.

It was a team that simply made the big mistake or failed to make the play when the game was there for the taking.

The big question facing the team in 2015 is whether it can make the big jump from playing competitively to being a team that makes winning plays.
This is why the DC hire is so important I think. Because the offense on occasion showed it could bounce back and make a big play but the D could not do it consistently enough to turn Losses into Wins. We need better schemes, we need better talent, we need better adjustments at half-time and we need a better attitude on the Defensive side of the ball.

It must be so ****ing frustrating on the offensive side of the ball to see that much improvement year on year, and react to a score with a score and then see either special teams or the D suck it up and give up the advantage they just gained.

Exactly.

Isn't that the M.O. for Mac, or any coach when turning a program around? Lose big, lose close, win close, then win big. Aren't we just in the middle of that process? That's why I'm not as freaked out about our record this year as many seem to be. Now if Mac isn't turning those close losses into wins in year 3 and 4, then he probably isn't the guy.

Isn't that the M.O. for Mac, or any coach when turning a program around? Lose big, lose close, win close, then win big. Aren't we just in the middle of that process? That's why I'm not as freaked out about our record this year as many seem to be. Now if Mac isn't turning those close losses into wins in year 3 and 4, then he probably isn't the guy.

Agreed. I will not be able to take another year like last year. Last year was excruciating. I need to see some of those become wins.

True, and might have been one of the reasons those hires didn't happen. I can't find the article but there was a story about MacIntyre hiring Lindgren at SJSU, and how when he showed up, Mac made it clear that Lindgren had to learn their offense, and their terminology, he didn't want him to just do what he did at N. Arizona. So this DC hire could follow that same pattern.

True, and might have been one of the reasons those hires didn't happen. I can't find the article but there was a story about MacIntyre hiring Lindgren at SJSU, and how when he showed up, Mac made it clear that Lindgren had to learn their offense, and their terminology, he didn't want him to just do what he did at N. Arizona. So this DC hire could follow that same pattern.
I remember reading that article a while ago. Plus what HCMM said in that interview the other day about having some ideas about how to revamp the defense, and given his background as strong DC, and the fact that most of the established DCs are spoken for, it seems very likely he is trying to find someone who understands and embraces what HCMM wants to do and is OK with implementing his strategy and having input on it rather than being the mastermind.

Well this escalated quickly, sucks I missed it. Finding ways to lose is exactly who this team is, it's depressing. Saying that though, some of those games, we just got outplayed and athleted at times. I was hoping, don't ask me why and ****, we'd have our DC today. I should have known better.

Absolutely. But progress isn't always linear and doesn't always continue. It's a big question whether this program will take next step or take it this season.

What a cute little phrase right there. :bang:

Exactly.

Losers lose. That's why they're called losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back