What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey at least we're right on target. 2-10 but "lose close." YAY

Do you honestly feel going into this thing that a lot more progress would have been made in 2 years from where we were at? I've never heard your position. Just a bunch of LOLing.

Do you honestly feel going into this thing that a lot more progress would have been made in 2 years from where we were at? I've never heard your position. Just a bunch of LOLing.

It's easier to bitch than offer thoughtful commentary.

What a cute little phrase right there. :bang:

Is that not what's happened so far in MM's tenure?

2013 average Pac 12 loss for CU was 46.75 - 17.75 (29 loss margin)
2014 average Pac 12 loss for CU was 43 - 29.2 (13.8 loss margin)

I understand that 13.8 point loss on average isn't "small" necessarily, but I trust that you watched the games to realize that includes four losses of 5, 4, 3, and 3 points in 2014, opposed to 2013 where the closest Pac 12 loss they had was by 7 points to a below average Utah team and every other game was being lost by an average of 32 points.

Many of you are going to balk at this analysis and cry moral victory. Very understandable, but the point is that this team is in that supposed 2nd step of the 4 step process, where they are "losing small(er)". Next year, they need to be turning those 4, single digit losses into wins and cutting the losing margins in the other games even more than they did from '13-'14 ("winning small").

I remember Bzdelik said something similar about the progression. His included stages of winning home games and progressing to being able to win most road games (which is more pertinent to basketball). But this is all standard coach speak. If you look at the CU hoops program, it did follow this progression. Went from being horrible to being competitive to just missing NIT to making an NIT run to 3 straight years in the NCAAs. Very linear progression that is unusual, but it's illustrative of the point.

Yes. I expected more than 6 wins (only one conference win) in 2 seasons

Absolutely. But progress isn't always linear and doesn't always continue. It's a big question whether this program will take next step or take it this season.
Exactly. Some teams never get over that five win hump, it happens. When you are talking about 1-2 games in a P5 conference, determining bowl eligibility, several teams get close. Over time, the contenders and pretenders work themselves out. If the Buffs make a bowl game by winning seven one-possession games, I certainly will not call it a fluke.

I'm starting to worry that the inability to hire a DC speaks volumes about the coaching ranks thoughts on CU's staffs progression.

I am in wait and see mode. I was pretty antsy about last week, ut it is pretty clear, to me at least, the interest level in the job is extremely low and the chances of a high profile hire are about zero. It will probably be some up and comer no one has heard of, or retread city. Hard to get excited about that, but such is life as a CU fan. I hope they prove me wrong.

Yes. I expected more than 6 wins (only one conference win) in 2 seasons
This seems delusional to me for a completely dog**** program...especially considering we're in the best division in CFB. Maybe...maybe...6 wins in 2015. For sure 6+ in 2016...in my humble but accurate opinion. :lol:

I think the quicker DC hire would be getting an established guy. Outside of a few of those that Mac may have wanted, he is doing more due diligence to find the 'up and comer' that will work with him to learn the DC job on the job, but with Mac running it more for a year or two.

Will be interesting to see who is hired. I think whoever is hired won't tell us much about what to expect. I think we won't have a good picture until next season is done.

A bit sad Hobby is off the market. I though that that might be a good fit. Knows Mac, is a co-DC, but would be 'The guy' here, so a decent move for him. Figured he would end up back on the east coast in two or three years if CU's D showed up good for a couple years, but would take that.

Of course, my No 1 right now is Seto. Just have no clue at all if that is even a remote possibility.

Find a guy like Sirmon moving his way up the ladder at a P5 school, bonus points if he has Pac-12 recruiting connections. Let him learn under MacIntyre in 2015 while he gets his feet wet and hopefully the combo of him and another younger assistant can provide the badly needed recruiting bump. An old retread hire would be a disaster, flat out.
I would be good with Sirmon. If we are going that route how about Angus McClure UCLA DL coach and recruiting coordinator. He has much last experience on the defensive side of the ball; but, is recruiting lights outs.

This seems delusional to me for a completely dog**** program...especially considering we're in the best division in CFB. Maybe...maybe...6 wins in 2015. For sure 6+ in 2016...in my humble but accurate opinion. :lol:

I think he meant more than 6 wins in 2 years combined, which is what we got.

Throwing this out there. The "we're waiting/looking for a guy who knows Pac-12 offenses" was emergency PR spin by MM and RG. It looks like we whiffed hard on the first couple of names on the list and are now in scramble mode to find willing and able candidates.

Throwing this out there. The "we're waiting/looking for a guy who knows Pac-12 offenses" was emergency PR spin by MM and RG. It looks like we whiffed hard on the first couple of names on the list and are now in scramble mode to find willing and able candidates.

I concur. Now the spin on how they didn't really want a big name.

between waiting to hear who the new dc is gonna be and seeing pics of the new dynafit khion i'm slowly losing it.
well half way there, just saw pics of the new khion, looks sweet, light and stiff, just the way i like 'em. now who the hell is the dc gonna be? 100th post suckers, what took ya all so long?

Last edited:

+1, they whiffed and are trying to put some lipstick on the pig...again.

I suppose the only positive thing I have to say is at least we are all still hanging around to bitch about this tire fire. Most Buff fans left the scene long ago. So keep up the bitching...shows we care....for now.

I suppose the only positive thing I have to say is at least we are all still hanging around to bitch about this tire fire. Most Buff fans left the scene long ago. So keep up the bitching...shows we care....for now.
I don't know, I think it may show that we're all in need of therapy and/or medication. But at least we're special.

I'm a little intrigued by the "Mac being his own DC" thing. Do any of you think a HC could act as a coordinator without sacrificing effectiveness as HC? More likely would be he hires a "co-coordinator." Maybe a guy he'd groom into the position. I'm sure that'd go over well with many.

Last edited:
I'm a little intrigued by the "Mac being his own DC" thing. Do any of you think a HC could act as a coordinator without sacrificing effectiveness as HC? More likely would be he hires a "co-coordinator." Maybe a guy he'd groom into the position. I'm sure that'd go over well with many.

Yeah especially if the guy is a good recruiter. That would be ideal.

Spin by RG on behalf of MM.....We all think Rick George is a great AD, and the best we've had in that spot since Marolt. Nobody here thinks he had anything to do with the DC position coming open with the exception of telling MacIntyre he'd have the financial backing to go fill the two openings on staff. Its not a CU specific issue-MM went 2-10 and 0-9 in conference at a school who "got resigned" the AD who hired him before he coached a game. This job is a tough sell-Would you take a three year contract working for a coach who may not be here in three years if we don't see a bowl bid soon?

Not like his in-game coaching can suddenly trend down.

Spin by RG on behalf of MM.....We all think Rick George is a great AD, and the best we've had in that spot since Marolt. Nobody here thinks he had anything to do with the DC position coming open with the exception of telling MacIntyre he'd have the financial backing to go fill the two openings on staff. Its not a CU specific issue-MM went 2-10 and 0-9 in conference at a school who "got resigned" the AD who hired him before he coached a game. This job is a tough sell-Would you take a three year contract working for a coach who may not be here in three years if we don't see a bowl bid soon?

RG has shown he can lead the department and is a good marketer, exactly what we needed.. He's on new ground when it comes to hiring any coach and understanding the nuances of hiring a coach in 2015, to Boulder. (Not Boulder 1998).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back