What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could absolutely get a bump depending on the hire, pass on NA. Big time pass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How are we going to get a bump this cycle? Short of hiring a guy from the PAC 12 footprint who is a super recruiter - it will not happen.

How are we going to get a bump this cycle? Short of hiring a guy from the PAC 12 footprint who is a super recruiter - it will not happen.

Relationships with the DC and/or relationships with new coaches. It's not as far fetched as you are making it to be, it happens every year across the country.

Relationships with the DC and/or relationships with new coaches. It's not as far fetched as you are making it to be, it happens every year across the country.

If the hired DC is someone currently on a college coaching staff, like Clune, then I could see a guy flipping to CU instead of Hawaii. Or if it's a LBs coach or "Passing Game Coordinator" from USC or Oregon, I could MAYBE see a flip to CU for a recruit that had a great relationship with said coach. Other than that, I don't see it really boosting any recruiting for us.

We need to hire at least 1 great recruiter; but I would expect he would not make much of an impact until next class. I'm ok with that.

I just hope we hire the guy who will be the best coach, and not someone who might give us some modest bump in an otherwise ho-hum class with less than a month until signing day.

I just hope we hire the guy who will be the best coach, and not someone who might give us some modest bump in an otherwise ho-hum class with less than a month until signing day.

Well, if that modest bump is a really good player, than I'd take it. I get your point, though, and agree.

I'm the same

Just my $.02, but what McChesney has done is pretty poor taste imo. Those that are stating that use of social media is perfectly fine, and people need to get with the times are not understanding the issue. There is nothing wrong with the use of social media with respect to the Colorado Buffaloes and being savvy with it to relate to recruits and players...when appropriate.

Matt is basically publicly sharing what should be a confidential discussion and negotiation about a possible position with the University of Colorado. It comes across as self-serving and small time with respect to his decision making. His tweets really sound like he is leveraging the opportunity provided to him by CU as a way to promote how "awesome" he and his business are. I would expect a coach or any other university employee to be able to demonstrate discretion.

The worst part is if CU decides that this is not acceptable, and breaks off discussions, now Matt is herding kids away from CU. Not much win left in it for CU, unless Matt was using this to promote his biz and doesn't want to move on from his biz (I can't imagine he can keep it going and coach at CU also).

Well John Fox is available. Just saying :) FYI It think I just saw HCMM throwing a hissy fit on the sideline in ESPN's highlights of 2014 CFB season.

The worst part is if CU decides that this is not acceptable, and breaks off discussions, now Matt is herding kids away from CU. Not much win left in it for CU, unless Matt was using this to promote his biz and doesn't want to move on from his biz (I can't imagine he can keep it going and coach at CU also).

I agree that his comments for a possible position at CU should have been handled better but listening to him on the FOX morning show today, he said that he was very honored to even be asked and said his heart still bleeds the Black & Gold and wants very much to help restore the FB program to what it used to be. I don't see Matt telling any recruit not to play at CU.

I know I'm setting myself to get dick punched on this, but I have pretty much convinced myself that the wait on announcing a DC is due to Rocky Seto still being involved in the NFL playoffs.

I know I'm setting myself to get dick punched on this, but I have pretty much convinced myself that the wait on announcing a DC is due to Rocky Seto still being involved in the NFL playoffs.
+1. Who is doing the dick punching?

Nik if your hunch is correct, would be great by me. I am surprised we have not announced yet. Still continue to believe we will improve upon our defensive result from 2014, with a more "contemporary" DC approach (PAC competent). But up to now....crickets....

Do you believe an agreement is already in place? What if the Seahawks DC gets a HC job somewhere (he's interviewed for several) and Pete promotes Seto to DC? Then we're screwed. Maybe Seto should tweet out that he's in ongoing negotiations with CU. :rofl:

can't believe some of you idiots are upset about a possible assistant s & c coach tweeting something. if ya all haven't noticed our in state recruiting sucks. we need matt. now if i was only smart enough to have gotten into a prestigious institution like ped state maybe i would be able to understand what all the fuss is. but no i was barely able to get into a sub par school, but at least we are a top 10 party school! maybe i killed too many brain cells at said school to properly understand this issue.
Mc will help some with recruiting, but most of the guys that we were interested in at six zero we have. Do Eric Lee or Avery Johnson or in the future Christian McCaffrey work out at six zero? The answer is no. They weren't going to come here. I think the Colorado recruiting part is very minor, but his enthusiasm for the program and his youth can be helpful in the position of assistant S&C.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but this was mentioned about McChesney in Ringo's latest article, something I hadn't thought about:

With whatever involvement he would want to keep with Six Zero, that would definitely complicate things.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_27307252/samson-kafovalus-return-could-bolster-cus-defense

It is interesting. If the CU job is a full-time gig, it shouldn't matter, as he presumably would not have time to be working with any potential CU recruits. If it is a part-time job, and he is still working at his private training facility, then his ability to do his job would be impaired. The article does not make mention o the ownership structure of the private business. Presumably it is some kind of legal entity (I would guess an LLC), and I wonder about whether the LLC, of which he would have an ownership interest (probably a majority interest, although I would not be surprised if he was in 50-50 with his brother), could provide services to potential recruits. I would research the issue, but the last time I moonlighted for you bitches and did legal research outside of working hours , somebody said that I should get a hobby, so I will just raise speculative questions. Were I his lawyer, I would want $5k minimum to figure out an answer to the question.

Jacque la Rivière is now available.

Do not want. What he did with that much talent on the defensive side of the ball was frustrating as hell. CU doesn't have Ware, Knighton, or Miller on the DL. We don't have a Harris Jr., Talib, or Ward in the secondary... All he did was play base defense all season.. yawn..

Obviously he wouldn't be interested in taking a lateral move to CU when he has suitors in the NFL, but.. yuck. haha.

Last edited:
It is interesting. If the CU job is a full-time gig, it shouldn't matter, as he presumably would not have time to be working with any potential CU recruits. If it is a part-time job, and he is still working at his private training facility, then his ability to do his job would be impaired. The article does not make mention o the ownership structure of the private business. Presumably it is some kind of legal entity (I would guess an LLC), and I wonder about whether the LLC, of which he would have an ownership interest (probably a majority interest, although I would not be surprised if he was in 50-50 with his brother), could provide services to potential recruits. I would research the issue, but the last time I moonlighted for you bitches and did legal research outside of working hours , somebody said that I should get a hobby, so I will just raise speculative questions. Were I his lawyer, I would want $5k minimum to figure out an answer to the question.

I think the reason he's struggling is he would like to take the CU gig but I think it means he must shut down his biz, in all practicality.
So he's torn. His tweets don't bother me. If he doesn't take the job, he'll explain why. My understanding is that he'd really like to come work under HCMM.

Two things with this-I don't think Nik is right, and I don't mean to take the wind out from behind his sails. Dan Quinn (Seattle's DC) WILL get a head coaching job. I could see him staying up there another year if the best he was gonna do was the Jets job, but with the Bronco gig coming open today, and his name being the first on the interview list, I'd say he's got a pretty good shot at being the next Broncos head coach-which leads me to Seto......Wouldn't he wait to see what Carroll does with the DC spot? Given his title, it seems like he'd be the next man up.

Now, lets say for the sake of this post that Nik is right, and Seto is the guy MM wants. Couldn't this deal get done next week? Doesn't the NFL have the same rule with Super Bowl teams as they do with teams on byes?

Two things with this-I don't think Nik is right, and I don't mean to take the wind out from behind his sails. Dan Quinn (Seattle's DC) WILL get a head coaching job. I could see him staying up there another year if the best he was gonna do was the Jets job, but with the Bronco gig coming open today, and his name being the first on the interview list, I'd say he's got a pretty good shot at being the next Broncos head coach-which leads me to Seto......Wouldn't he wait to see what Carroll does with the DC spot? Given his title, it seems like he'd be the next man up.

Now, lets say for the sake of this post that Nik is right, and Seto is the guy MM wants. Couldn't this deal get done next week? Doesn't the NFL have the same rule with Super Bowl teams as they do with teams on byes?

Two things:

1. If Seto is the guy, they've most definitely already interviewed/mutually agreed to something during the Seahawks' 1st bye week. I just can't see MM and RG willing to risk losing other candidates and pushing the announcement out past the end of the recruiting dead period, unless they have their man.

2. With that said, yes, they could meet/interview again after this weekend (assuming the Seahawks win). As far as officially announcing an agreement during that period, I'm not so sure. I don't know if there are any official rules against agreeing to another job while still employed, but would think it's professional courtesy to wait until their no longer playing. Besides, if they were going to announce it after this weekend, why wouldn't they have just announced it a week ago?

IMO, they're either waiting until Seattle's run is over to announce, or it isn't Seto and they are scrambling to find the best local high school DC to accept! :rofl:

Two things:

1. If Seto is the guy, they've most definitely already interviewed/mutually agreed to something during the Seahawks' 1st bye week. I just can't see MM and RG willing to risk losing other candidates and pushing the announcement out past the end of the recruiting dead period, unless they have their man.

2. With that said, yes, they could meet/interview again after this weekend (assuming the Seahawks win). As far as officially announcing an agreement during that period, I'm not so sure. I don't know if there are any official rules against agreeing to another job while still employed, but would think it's professional courtesy to wait until their no longer playing. Besides, if they were going to announce it after this weekend, why wouldn't they have just announced it a week ago?

IMO, they're either waiting until Seattle's run is over to announce, or it isn't Seto and they are scrambling to find the best local high school DC to accept! :rofl:

If Seto is the guy I'd think Seattle is restricting talks in order to keep Seto focused on his current job. Which might mean we have to wait until after the Superbowl.

I agree. This has taken a long time. While other schools are in the same boat (i.e. Utah), for the average Buff fan, any good news has been so long ago it is hard to really stay invested.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back