What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmm. I know how McElwain responded to a question from someone that worked at Regent asked in regards to academic philosophies and students going to class. His answer probably contributed to him not being offered. A DC is certainly a different hire so your probably right. But Id think some combination of the following would be in the room...
Athletic Director's Office -- Phone: 492-7931 -- Fax: 492-7753 -- 368 UCB
Rick George Athletic Director
Ceal Barry Senior Associate AD/Internal Operations/SWA
David Clough Faculty Athletic Representative
Christina Beck Executive Assistant/Athletic Director & Senior Associates

Academics -- Phone: 492-6591 -- Fax: 492-4976 -- 368 UCB -- website
Kris Livingston Associate Athletic Director/Student Services
Katie Bason Director of Football Academics
Ryan Kataoka Associate Director
Medford Moorer Assistant Director
Mindy Sclaro Associate Director

Compliance -- Phone: 492-6155 -- Fax: 492-3364 -- 372 UCB -- website
Jill Keegan Director of Compliance Email
Jo Marchi Associate Director of Compliance, Monitoring
Email
Kevin Prochaska Associate Director of Compliance Email
Dee Menzies Director of Eligibility Certification

Jill Keegan Director of Compliance
Kevin Prochaska Associate Director of Compliance

Business Office -- Phone: 735-5105 -- Fax: 492-3777 -- 372 UCB
Cory Hilliard Associate AD/Business Operations
Tim McCleary Director of Business Operations
Tracy Tripp Human Resources

RG has stated in interviews that this is 100% MacIntyre's call.....He's functioning as a sounding board and the fundraiser.

i think its time to post a sign that "walk in " applications will be accepted

Time for Larry Scott and the P12N to make a pitch to MM for a reality show called "so you think you can coach?"

Like American Idol, contestants convince the judges in front of a live studio audience why they should be named CU's next DC. Celebrity judges Phil DiStefano, Rick Neuheisel, and Studio Host Ashley Adamson evaluate the candidates. The P12 viewing audience texts their votes for who will be CU's next coach.

Time for Larry Scott and the P12N to make a pitch to MM for a reality show called "so you think you can coach?"

Like American Idol, contestants convince the judges in front of a live studio audience why they should be named CU's next DC. Celebrity judges Phil DiStefano, Rick Neuheisel, and Studio Host Ashley Adamson evaluate the candidates. The P12 viewing audience texts their votes for who will be CU's next coach.

at this point, why not?

Mmmmm. I know how McElwain responded to a question from someone that worked at Regent asked in regards to academic philosophies and students going to class. His answer probably contributed to him not being offered. A DC is certainly a different hire so your probably right. But Id think some combination of the following would be in the room...
Athletic Director's Office -- Phone: 492-7931 -- Fax: 492-7753 -- 368 UCB
Rick George Athletic Director
Ceal Barry Senior Associate AD/Internal Operations/SWA
David Clough Faculty Athletic Representative
Christina Beck Executive Assistant/Athletic Director & Senior Associates

Academics -- Phone: 492-6591 -- Fax: 492-4976 -- 368 UCB -- website
Kris Livingston Associate Athletic Director/Student Services
Katie Bason Director of Football Academics
Ryan Kataoka Associate Director
Medford Moorer Assistant Director
Mindy Sclaro Associate Director

Jill Keegan Director of Compliance Email
Email
Kevin Prochaska Associate Director of Compliance Email

Jill Keegan Director of Compliance
Kevin Prochaska Associate Director of Compliance

Business Office -- Phone: 735-5105 -- Fax: 492-3777 -- 372 UCB
Cory Hilliard Associate AD/Business Operations
Tim McCleary Director of Business Operations
Tracy Tripp Human Resources​

Hmmm. I dunno. If I had a job already and was interviewing for a CU (or any) job and even half these folks were in the room, and I'd walk out and catch a cab to the airport before it started. Too PC. You can bet that candidates at Alabama or tOSU don't have to run a gauntlet like this.

Broncos hired Phillips and niners hired mangini, any possibility Vance Joseph leaves cinnci for cu? Can cinnci keep him from going to a college team?

Thoughts on this guy (John Thompson, coached under Malzahn, plenty of experience)----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thompson_%28American_football%29 ?

Bobby Hauck is still not too old, with west-coast experience...who couldn't turn around UNLV, but could help CU. He is a special teams coordinator at San Diego State right now...

I'd see either as okay at this late-state...

Would prefer a Leavitt or Gary Gibbs, but not holding my breath...

Thoughts on this guy (John Thompson, coached under Malzahn, plenty of experience)----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thompson_%28American_football%29 ?

Bobby Hauck is still not too old, with west-coast experience...who couldn't turn around UNLV, but could help CU. He is a special teams coordinator at San Diego State right now...

I'd see either as okay at this late-state...

Would prefer a Leavitt or Gary Gibbs, but not holding my breath...

Purely a guess.....But I think we have a handshake agreement with somebody and I think this person is an assistant at another school in the conference. Listening to footballscoop the other night-When you have assistant coach searches that are still going this close to signing day, you often have scenarios where a coach is asked by his current school to finish out the recruiting cycle where he is before he is allowed to leave, and no money will change hands as a result.

I suppose RG and MM could call Vance Joseph and see how pissed off he is at the Bengals, but I don't think we're waiting for Pendergast or anyone else-If he wanted to be here, this deal would be done. With the Broncos hiring Wade Phillips, the only DC openings in the NFL are in Seattle and Oakland IIRC.....Seattle goes internal, and the Raiders don't have a shot at him, especially with him still having a year of pay coming from Southern Cal. No coach worth a **** would want to coach in Oakland....hence why they hired Jacque la Riviere and his "Whatever you do, don't touch the QB" defense.

I too think we have a handshake agreement with our guy.

BTW 15 days til Spring Practice begins.

Last edited:
Why not Vance Joseph?

Per the Denver Post article, the Bengals refused to let him out of the final year of his contract even though Denver was offering him the DC position. Apparently Cinci can contractually block the Donkeys from going after Joseph in such circumstances (as a lawyer, I wonder how they can get away with this anti-trust wise, if it is a league wide practice, especially since coaches don't have a collective bargaining agreement, but that is a different story). One would think that NFL teams know that NCAA schools would also want to poach coaches, so I surmise that means that he has a liquidated damages clause that would have to be paid if he wanted to take a college job, and I doubt that CU would want to pay any substantial liquidated damages--plus any coach that is offered the Denver Broncos DC position knows that he is a hot commodity and would not take the CU job at this point in time, no matter how much he bleeds black and gold. Head coach, maybe. But not DC.

Per the Denver Post article, the Bengals refused to let him out of the final year of his contract even though Denver was offering him the DC position. Apparently Cinci can contractually block the Donkeys from going after Joseph in such circumstances (as a lawyer, I wonder how they can get away with this anti-trust wise, if it is a league wide practice, especially since coaches don't have a collective bargaining agreement, but that is a different story). One would think that NFL teams know that NCAA schools would also want to poach coaches, so I surmise that means that he has a liquidated damages clause that would have to be paid if he wanted to take a college job, and I doubt that CU would want to pay any substantial liquidated damages--plus any coach that is offered the Denver Broncos DC position knows that he is a hot commodity and would not take the CU job at this point in time, no matter how much he bleeds black and gold. Head coach, maybe. But not DC.
Unless you hate your employer. Come for a year then go back to the nfl when more dc jobs are available. That said it's not gonna happen. I'm with slider I think we found our guy and just waiting for it to be a formality.

Good luck proving any "damages" when an assistant coach leaves. You're hiring a new coach for the spot. Maybe he's better. How could you possibly quantify "damages"? Maybe the plane fares, car services and dinners when you bring in candidates for interviews?

Good luck proving any "damages" when an assistant coach leaves. You're hiring a new coach for the spot. Maybe he's better. How could you possibly quantify "damages"? Maybe the plane fares, car services and dinners when you bring in candidates for interviews?

Unless you get an injunction blocking the coach from coaching at the new job. Not my practice area, but seems like a plausible strategy.

Vance Joseph becoming a college head coach would put him in the same category as Embree. Position coach making a jump to P5 head coach, skipping the coordinator experience. However in demand Joseph is as a DC at the NFL level, he is not qualified to be a big time college head coach in the slightest.

Last edited:
Purely a guess.....But I think we have a handshake agreement with somebody and I think this person is an assistant at another school in the conference. Listening to footballscoop the other night-When you have assistant coach searches that are still going this close to signing day, you often have scenarios where a coach is asked by his current school to finish out the recruiting cycle where he is before he is allowed to leave, and no money will change hands as a result.

I suppose RG and MM could call Vance Joseph and see how pissed off he is at the Bengals, but I don't think we're waiting for Pendergast or anyone else-If he wanted to be here, this deal would be done. With the Broncos hiring Wade Phillips, the only DC openings in the NFL are in Seattle and Oakland IIRC.....Seattle goes internal, and the Raiders don't have a shot at him, especially with him still having a year of pay coming from Southern Cal. No coach worth a **** would want to coach in Oakland....hence why they hired Jacque la Riviere and his "Whatever you do, don't touch the QB" defense.

First, how much could a buyout be for a position coach? Even if it was 6 figures - which sounds absurd for the type of coach we are likely to hire - retaining current recruits with the possibility of swinging a few higher profile athletes would be worth more than low 6 figures to a football program. Then add in the importance of studying tape on the current roster prior to Spring practice and it would be extremely short-sided to operate in this manner. If we have our guy but must wait till after NSD to avoid a buyout, it shows that we are still a nickel-and-dime program. I for one don't believe RG would operate in this manner. At least I hope so.

First, how much could a buyout be for a position coach? Even if it was 6 figures - which sounds absurd for the type of coach we are likely to hire - retaining current recruits with the possibility of swinging a few higher profile athletes would be worth more than low 6 figures to a football program. Then add in the importance of studying tape on the current roster prior to Spring practice and it would be extremely short-sided to operate in this manner. If we have our guy but must wait till after NSD to avoid a buyout, it shows that we are still a nickel-and-dime program. I for one don't believe RG would operate in this manner. At least I hope so.
If we're waiting until after NSD it's probably not because of buy out dollar amounts. It's probably more of a "gentleman's agreement" between coaches / programs. Lots of scenarios where simply maintaining good relationships amongst peers, competitors and potential future employers would end in such an agreement.

If I'm a recruit and find out the day after signing that the coach that recruited or was going to be my position coach is leaving for another school and he knew he was leaving and kept recruiting me anyway I'm gonna be pissed.

If I'm a recruit and find out the day after signing that the coach that recruited or was going to be my position coach is leaving for another school and he knew he was leaving and kept recruiting me anyway I'm gonna be pissed.

Commit to the school, not the coach.

Hmmm. I dunno. If I had a job already and was interviewing for a CU (or any) job and even half these folks were in the room, and I'd walk out and catch a cab to the airport before it started. Too PC. You can bet that candidates at Alabama or tOSU don't have to run a gauntlet like this.

Colorado is an AAU school and members tend to take academics seriously.

Alabama is not in the AAU so thats not a fair comparison. In fact the SEC has only 4 AAU schools (Florida, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Vanderbilt). This is probably how they get away with having all student athletes take their classes in Athletic Department building instead of with the regular student population. Thats why this is such a coaches conference and a bedlam of football.

tOSU is an AAU school. Ill bet you could guess the only B1G member that is not an AAU member... :smile2:

At any rate, Id guess these people in the room would not be asking questions. Just observing and taking notes and checking boxes if they hear what they want. Maybe the compliance guy and the academics guy get a turn if the interviews reach a really advanced stage.

Commit to the school, not the coach.
as a fan, yea commit to the school, but... what happens when the school hires someone you don't like, or have the same beliefs, or way different philosophies, or are crooked (like a used car salesman), or you know you will be sitting the pine for 4 years. Relationships between players, coaches and families can go a long way.

We are getting close to 100 pages in this thread. I think when we hit 100 pages we should either
a.) blow up the thread entirely and enforce a no DC thread rule until we have freaking hired one
b.) start a new thread because you know I love doing that :)
c.) carry on and have an over/under contest on number of pages in this thread by the time we have actually announced a hire

We are getting close to 100 pages in this thread. I think when we hit 100 pages we should either
a.) blow up the thread entirely and enforce a no DC thread rule until we have freaking hired one
b.) start a new thread because you know I love doing that :)
c.) carry on and have an over/under contest on number of pages in this thread by the time we have actually announced a hire

KCCO

100 pages!

100 pages!

100 pages!

"what is a congressman's favorite way to blow off steam, alex?"

IMO

IVY2nHE.png

lmzfCGd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back