What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

I would love an update or repeat of such information? I thought he did not take the job in order to stay focused on the Chiefs and getting an NFL HC Job?
TLDR: EB wanted the job. The AD offered him the job. The AD made promises, especially WRT to recruiting and AC hires. EB demanded that those promises be put in writing. The AD could/would not, so EB passed.

EB demanded that the AD be accountable for the promises he made. The AD could/would not do that.
I would love to have EB as our head coach, nothing against Dorrell but I think EB would be outstanding.

manhattan though hits on exactly why I don't think EB will ever be our coach.

EB understands big time college football. He understands winning and the commitment it takes to get there.

In no way am I saying that EB would be be dirty or be one of those coaches willing to compromise any and all standards to win. We wouldn't be looking at another Baylor.

What he would insist on though is the kind of investment it takes to hire and keep quality assistants, to support them with a recruiting support staff that would maximize their potential. He would insist on a reasonable degree of flexibility in admissions that would be something he could count on, not yes one week no the next.

EB knows CU, he knows the athletic program and the culture that the athletic program exist within including certain powerful groups who would love to see the athletic program, or at least football continue to fail. He has been a part of the program as both a player and a coach and maintains active ties to this day.

Unless he had ironclad guarantees that he would have the support it takes to win in the PAC he would be foolish to take the job.

He has a pretty good chance that eventually he will break through the barrier and become an NFL head coach. If he succeeds that will put him at the heights of the coaching profession. If he fails he will still have plenty of options including returning to the college game with former NFL head coach on his resume.

Come to Colorado and fail and that would very likely be a dead end for his career.

I would love to have EB as our head coach, nothing against Dorrell but I think EB would be outstanding.

manhattan though hits on exactly why I don't think EB will ever be our coach.

EB understands big time college football. He understands winning and the commitment it takes to get there.

In no way am I saying that EB would be be dirty or be one of those coaches willing to compromise any and all standards to win. We wouldn't be looking at another Baylor.

What he would insist on though is the kind of investment it takes to hire and keep quality assistants, to support them with a recruiting support staff that would maximize their potential. He would insist on a reasonable degree of flexibility in admissions that would be something he could count on, not yes one week no the next.

EB knows CU, he knows the athletic program and the culture that the athletic program exist within including certain powerful groups who would love to see the athletic program, or at least football continue to fail. He has been a part of the program as both a player and a coach and maintains active ties to this day.

Unless he had ironclad guarantees that he would have the support it takes to win in the PAC he would be foolish to take the job.

He has a pretty good chance that eventually he will break through the barrier and become an NFL head coach. If he succeeds that will put him at the heights of the coaching profession. If he fails he will still have plenty of options including returning to the college game with former NFL head coach on his resume.

Come to Colorado and fail and that would very likely be a dead end for his career.
So, out of a 100% certainty, was it the stay in the NFL and wait for a HC Job, or CU is not committed enough for EB?

Sounds like it was 50/50, but those items could have been overcome with contract negotiations and of course hindsight tells us that he was counting on a shot at an NFL job and it has not happened. I get why he is not our coach, but I can say that after last night, what is he thinking today and moving forward?

So, out of a 100% certainty, was it the stay in the NFL and wait for a HC Job, or CU is not committed enough for EB?

Sounds like it was 50/50, but those items could have been overcome with contract negotiations and of course hindsight tells us that he was counting on a shot at an NFL job and it has not happened. I get why he is not our coach, but I can say that after last night, what is he thinking today and moving forward?
Very much a case of both.

I think his primary focus is on getting an NFL job. He loves CU enough though that under the right conditions he would come back. This time wasn't the right conditions.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he isn't being a little picky about NFL jobs. He knows that very few Black head coaches get a second chance in the league so when he takes a job he wants it to be one where he at least has a chance to be successful.

Winning yesterday would have helped his chances but I don't think losing hurt him any. The league knows who he is and what he has accomplished. They know how he gets along with players and with coaches and management.

Very much a case of both.

I think his primary focus is on getting an NFL job. He loves CU enough though that under the right conditions he would come back. This time wasn't the right conditions.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he isn't being a little picky about NFL jobs. He knows that very few Black head coaches get a second chance in the league so when he takes a job he wants it to be one where he at least has a chance to be successful.

Winning yesterday would have helped his chances but I don't think losing hurt him any. The league knows who he is and what he has accomplished. They know how he gets along with players and with coaches and management.
I am not sure he is in that good of a position right now until he is calling plays. I have Chief's friends that say out loud that they do not want to lose Kafka, so they may encourage EB to go and take another OC Job, or even a college job if the HC job does not pop up.

Who are teams that could need a coach next year? Broncos, Cowboys, Bengals

Chiefs fans today at work:

1612809791412.png

I am not sure he is in that good of a position right now until he is calling plays. I have Chief's friends that say out loud that they do not want to lose Kafka, so they may encourage EB to go and take another OC Job, or even a college job if the HC job does not pop up.

View attachment 43088
I think most of that is "fan talk". Reid trust EB and counts on him.

There are usually about 6-7 jobs that come open each year.

It would be very interesting to see him take the Cowboys job. Dak is not Mahomes but it would be interesting to see EB bring some of the KC concepts which would fit Dak's skillset.

View attachment 43088
378 characters
0 exclamation points

Jaguars interviewing like 6 coaches, none of which are EB.

Seems it is always “next year” and his time may have oassed

I think that if the UCLA Job were to open by some weird chance that he would and should take that option.

He has to get away from Andy Reed's shadow and run his own offense and call his own plays to prove what he can do.

If we keep Fangio, I would love to see EB get the OC job and be given total freedom to run it his way, and then maybe he is more of a coach in waiting type of guy for the new Owners

I think that if the UCLA Job were to open by some weird chance that he would and should take that option.

He has to get away from Andy Reed's shadow and run his own offense and call his own plays to prove what he can do.

If we keep Fangio, I would love to see EB get the OC job and be given total freedom to run it his way, and then maybe he is more of a coach in waiting type of guy for the new Owners
So you think EB would leave his job where he's learning from one of the best offensive minds in the game to come work for a franchise where the coach is undoubtedly on the hot seat (assuming he survives this next month) and is about to be sold and have complete new ownership? A franchise that is clearly rudderless for a fanbase that is beyond clueless?

Well, the KC fan base is equally, if not more clueless than the fan base in Denver. Not that I think the general awareness and intelligence of the fan base is a consideration when considering a coaching job in the NFL.

So you think EB would leave his job where he's learning from one of the best offensive minds in the game to come work for a franchise where the coach is undoubtedly on the hot seat (assuming he survives this next month) and is about to be sold and have complete new ownership? A franchise that is clearly rudderless for a fanbase that is beyond clueless?
Because the Broncos fanbase is "beyond clueless" compared to other fanbases?

Please no.

No they want someone to take EB so they can promote Kafka. That at least according to all my friends who are chiefs fans. They’re more worried about Kafka getting hired away. They know Reid runs the offense and would gladly take the picks in return for someone hiring EB.

No they want someone to take EB so they can promote Kafka. That at least according to all my friends who are chiefs fans. They’re more worried about Kafka getting hired away. They know Reid runs the offense and would gladly take the picks in return for someone hiring EB.
I really think EB’s primary job is to be Andy Reid’s eating partner…can only imagine the damage they’ve done in some KC BBQ joints.

Back