What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

If the plan is to replace KD with EB. I would rather keep KD. He is the proven guy. But I may be wrong. EB might be the better coach. I don't know. I don't have all of the information. But I do know EB is a great recruiter.

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Lol the guy arguing in favor of Kapernick is telling someone else they have a bad take. He is an average / below average quarterback who started whining the second he got benched. That's why he's not in the league, not racism. If you want to believe a GM would rather lose a Super Bowl with a white head coach than win one with a black head coach, you're fine to believe that but it's retarded
Question for you-do you honestly believe McDumb**** is more qualified to be an NFL HC than Leftwich or EB are? I definitely do not.

Lol the guy arguing in favor of Kapernick is telling someone else they have a bad take. He is an average / below average quarterback who started whining the second he got benched. That's why he's not in the league, not racism. If you want to believe a GM would rather lose a Super Bowl with a white head coach than win one with a black head coach, you're fine to believe that but it's retarded
You’re right that they’d rather win. The problem is who they always seem to put their faith in to achieve a SB win.

GMs are like others, they use their networks to hire people they trust. The disconnect is that the most qualified is rarely in that network and the network was built with bias.

Question for you-do you honestly believe McDumb**** is more qualified to be an NFL HC than Leftwich or EB are? I definitely do not.
For all his faults from his time in Denver, there is zero question that McDaniels is an offensive “genius”. His ability over the years to gameplan and play call to whatever the matchup is pretty amazing. He also just made Mac Jones a ROY candidate.

“Qualified” is not a term I would keep using in this argument. There are a lot of qualified guys, including McDaniels, and the Raiders new GM, who came from the Pats, hiring him as HC does not point to racism in any way, shape, or form.

For all his faults from his time in Denver, there is zero question that McDaniels is an offensive “genius”. His ability over the years to gameplan and play call to whatever the matchup is pretty amazing. He also just made Mac Jones a ROY candidate.

“Qualified” is not a term I would keep using in this argument. There are a lot of qualified guys, including McDaniels, and the Raiders new GM, who came from the Pats, hiring him as HC does not point to racism in any way, shape, or form.
Yeah and for all the people decrying how unfair it is that EB may be looked upon unfavorably because of his disastrous stint at CU, I would remind them that McDaniels stint as Denver HC was even longer ago and he was younger at the time. If EB can learn to be a better coach with experience, maybe McDaniels can too?

You know who else was an "offensive genius"? Norv Turner. Just because a guy is a great coordinator doesn't mean they're going to be a great HC. On McDaniels-there's what happened in Denver. He was 5-17 after the 6-0 start his first year. That's pathetic. He did a god awful job with this roster. He got caught cheating. Let's talk about the Indianapolis fiasco now-how did that happen?

I don't really care about his record as an OC. His leadership skills are a huge issue. His integrity is a huge issue. His roster management is a huge issue. You can compare him to Sean McVay all you want-but I don't believe he's qualified to be an NFL head coach.

Last edited:
One black HC. McDaniels is more likely this generation's Norv Turner than anything-very good coordinator, but dog**** as an HC.
One black HC and the Raiders hiring McDaniels has nothing to do with that. He is about as “qualified” as it gets if a team is willing to overlook his first 1.5 year stint when he was 32 years old.

One black HC and the Raiders hiring McDaniels has nothing to do with that. He is about as “qualified” as it gets if a team is willing to overlook his first 1.5 year stint when he was 32 years old.
Waiting for you to defend what happened between him and the Colts.

According to the new Raiders GM, yes. Does Byron Leftwich check those boxes and do you know this for sure?
Yeah same guy who worked with him in NE. Odds are that's Gruden and Mayock all over again.

Who knows? If I'm Mark Davis, I'm giving Leftwich a shot over anybody with Belichick connections.

Yeah same guy who worked with him in NE. Odds are that's Gruden and Mayock all over again.

Who knows? If I'm Mark Davis, I'm giving Leftwich a shot over anybody with Belichick connections.
Should Leftwich get a shot in Miami over Harbaugh? Should Leftwich or EB been hired in Denver over Hackett? Should Leftwich or EB been hired in NY over Daboll? Should EB have been hired in Cincy over Zac Taylor?

Are those hires made out of racism or just the ones that you (and others) decide are unqualified?

Should Leftwich get a shot in Miami over Harbaugh? Should Leftwich or EB been hired in Denver over Hackett? Should Leftwich or EB been hired in NY over Daboll? Should EB have been hired in Cincy over Zac Taylor?

Are those hires made out of racism or just the ones that you (and others) decide are unqualified?
Jim Harbaugh has been to a Super Bowl. Nathaniel Hackett was getting an HC job in this cycle. Same with Daboll. Not hard to argue McDaniels isn't qualified and to wonder about the guy the Bears hired.

This is a weird take on a couple levels. Does anyone really think the failings of the Embree/EB and Dorrell tenures have anything to do with their race? The lesson isn’t stop hiring black coaches, it’s stop hiring woefully unqualified coaches that no one else in their right mind would hire.

And Tucker seems like a pretty damn good coach at this point so not sure why he would be included with the other two.
The manner and timing of Tucker’s departure couldn’t have done more damage to CUs program if he tried.

Hiring Belicheck assistants has been pretty close to a total failure including those who have gotten multiple opportunities. McD was a massive failure in Denver on multiple fronts yet gets multiple opportunities.

You can argue that this year the Black candidates weren't as qualified as the white candidates and in a small picture of this cycle you would probably be right.

The problem is that it isn't just this year, it's year after year after year. They keep finding excuses to hire white guys, most of whom fail in their jobs and then some of those get additional chances.

What has Fangio done that makes him a better candidate than Leftwich. If we are seeing every year that we don't have qualified Black candidates then it is on the system that develops the candidates. If EB isn't good enough why don't we have Black candidates that are?

Hiring Belicheck assistants has been pretty close to a total failure including those who have gotten multiple opportunities. McD was a massive failure in Denver on multiple fronts yet gets multiple opportunities.

You can argue that this year the Black candidates weren't as qualified as the white candidates and in a small picture of this cycle you would probably be right.

The problem is that it isn't just this year, it's year after year after year. They keep finding excuses to hire white guys, most of whom fail in their jobs and then some of those get additional chances.

What has Fangio done that makes him a better candidate than Leftwich. If we are seeing every year that we don't have qualified Black candidates then it is on the system that develops the candidates. If EB isn't good enough why don't we have Black candidates that are?
As I was saying yesterday, if only 10% of assistant coaches are black, then there is obviously a shortage of black coaches in the profession to begin with, which would render the whole “70% of the players are black…” narrative pretty irrelevant.

If 10% of coaching staffs are black then 3-4 black HCs in the league at any given time would be about right. Perhaps the emphasis should be placed on encouraging more black players get into coaching.

The manner and timing of Tucker’s departure couldn’t have done more damage to CUs program if he tried.
That’s a completely different argument. You said this…
CU’s hiring of Embree/EB, Midnight Mel, and Dorrell have not exactly supported anyone’s point that more black coaches should be hired. Hopefully, their tenures won’t hinder future minority hires here or elsewhere.
How exactly did CU’s hiring of Mel Tucker hurt the view that more black coaches should be hired?

That’s a completely different argument. You said this…

How exactly did CU’s hiring of Mel Tucker hurt the view that more black coaches should be hired?
Because Mel Tucker was so unprofessional as to how he handled his departure, he did much more damage to CU than Hawkins, Embree, EB, or Dorrell ever did.

Because Mel Tucker was so unprofessional as to how he handled his departure, he did much more damage to CU than Hawkins, Embree, EB, or Dorrell ever did.
So you think the way Tucker handled his departure might make schools less like to hire black coaches?

As I was saying yesterday, if only 10% of assistant coaches are black, then there is obviously a shortage of black coaches in the profession to begin with, which would render the whole “70% of the players are black…” narrative pretty irrelevant.

If 10% of coaching staffs are black then 3-4 black HCs in the league at any given time would be about right. Perhaps the emphasis should be placed on encouraging more black players get into coaching.
This is the thing. When you have a dribble coming into the pipeline don't expect a normal flow out the other end.

With each team having roughly say 20 assistant coaching positions including quality control positions the great majority of those coaches are never going to rise to a head coaching position. I don't have any idea of exactly what the number is but for argument let's say 1 out of ever 25 guys who gets a coaching position in the league will at some time get a chance to be a head coach.

That means that to have more than 2-3 legitimate candidates you have to greatly increase the number of guys coming in at the entry level positions. Beyond this you also need to make sure that those guys have a fair and equal chance to advance through the ranks on a normal career path leading to a head coaching job.

It isn't enough to have a Black RBs coach and another as an assistant strength coach. You need opportunities to become QB coaches, LB coaches, OL coaches, the jobs that provide the experience and lead to coordinator jobs.

I know that they are doing some. This year former Bronco Orlando Franklin participated in an internship program the league has specifically to give more Black former players an entry into the league. San Francisco ended up hiring him a few weeks after he returned to Denver. it will be interesting to see how his career develops and he is the kind of guy who could end up as a head coaching candidate in the future. Just need to see a lot more of this kind of thing and eventually get to the point where it doesn't take special programs to get qualified Black candidates in the door.

Back