What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

Does anyone really believe that an NFL owner wouldn't hire the best candidate they see fit that would help their team win, regardless of race? NFL owners want to win. Is there some subconcious bias against hiring black coaches? Maybe but only to a very small extent. But if a coach is impressive in the interview and wins the organization over then they will be hired regardless of race. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing the race card.
When all the people in the organization who need to be “won over” are white guys, do you think it might be more difficult for a minority coach to be impressive in that room?

When all the people in the organization who need to be “won over” are white guys, do you think it might be more difficult for a minority coach to be impressive in that room?

If someone is impressive they will win over the room regardless of race or color. Hirings are made based on the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.Yes MLK said it.

Spanish Inquisition on 1, ready, break!!
monty python nobody expects the spanish inquisition GIF

According to the article 10% of the assistant coaches currently under contract in the NFL were African-American. As I recall it didn't break down by specific job title but made mention of a disproportionate amount of those assistants being in the positions that didn't lead directly to coordinator positions.

I also don't recall the article talking about other minorities as it was focused on Black coaches. I would doubt that the number of other minorities working in the league is enough to substantially change the percentages.

I went looking for the article and found one with different numbers putting the total for assistant coaches at 26.9% which is still less than half of the percentage of Black players. It also details how the percentages of black administrators and executives is below 10%.

link

In 2019 the league had a total of two Black coordinators, EB and Leftwich.

Even with the small numbers we have Black coaches who have coached in and won the Super Bowl. Normally the NFL is a copycat league and one would expect that after black coaches had some success the barriers would start coming down similar to when Black QBs finally broke through and were accepted.

So far though we haven't been seeing anything that would indicate that is happening.
So maybe white guys go into coaching at a higher rate than black guys, which ultimately leads to more advancement opportunities, longer tenures, and ultimately more promotions? This is why the “70% of the players are black” argument has always rubbed me the wrong way. That may be true, but the skill set and personality for playing and coaching are completely different, not to mention the desire to go into coaching.

Yes. People want to keep injecting race into hires whenever it doesn't go their way but the most qualified and deserving candidate will end up getting get hired.
I don’t necessarily agree with the last part. Houston is possibly hiring Josh McCown who has zero coaching experience. However, I don’t think they are hiring him and not Bienemy because he’s white and EB is black. They just hired and then fired David Culley and Lovie Smith is expected to be retained.

I don’t necessarily agree with the last part. Houston is possibly hiring Josh McCown who has zero coaching experience. However, I don’t think they are hiring him and not Bienemy because he’s white and EB is black. They just hired and then fired David Culley and Lovie Smith is expected to be retained.
Let's get one thing straight on the Texans-Houston might hire Josh McCown because Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio have their heads that far up their respective asses.

If that's not the worst run organization in professional sports right now.......who is?

Let's get one thing straight on the Texans-Houston might hire Josh McCown because Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio have their heads that far up their respective asses.

If that's not the worst run organization in professional sports right now.......who is?
I agree, which is my point. There are awful run organizations that hire coaches who don’t deserve to be hired, but it doesn’t mean they are hiring those individuals because they are white.

So maybe white guys go into coaching at a higher rate than black guys, which ultimately leads to more advancement opportunities, longer tenures, and ultimately more promotions? This is why the “70% of the players are black” argument has always rubbed me the wrong way. That may be true, but the skill set and personality for playing and coaching are completely different, not to mention the desire to go into coaching.
Is the difference in the racial make-up just an accident or is there something behind it that moves it that way.

I find it very hard to believe that Black players who love the game, dedicate themselves to the game, sacrifice for the game, suddenly decide that they aren't interested in continuing with the game in a coaching aspect.

Do they actually get the opportunities, do they get the same encouragement as white players do to continue with the game.

I'm not intimate with the game now in a way that would let me see what happens in the offices and the meeting rooms that leads to players going into coaching but I'm pretty certain that the sheer numbers make it awfully hard to argue that Black people get a similar level of encouragement and opportunity.

Maybe. Let's get one thing clear with Hackett-he was going to get one of these jobs. I'm ecstatic he got this one. His energy is infectious. Guys will want to play for him. A very welcome change after 2 years of Vance and 3 years of the Vic and Pat show.

It’s not a maybe that the Broncos have had one of the least diverse coaching staffs and front offices recently.

It’s not a maybe that the Broncos have had one of the least diverse coaching staffs and front offices recently.
I get that-but I don't hit them from that standpoint on the Hackett hire because NH was going somewhere this cycle (seemed like an educated guess based on what I heard). When it comes to a hire like.....Fangio was, yeah they should be shredded there.

I agree, which is my point. There are awful run organizations that hire coaches who don’t deserve to be hired, but it doesn’t mean they are hiring those individuals because they are white.
Sure-I mean I'd put the Broncos in that category from Kubiak's retirement through Paton's arrival. Case in point: What other NFL team would have interviewed, much less hired Vic Fangio as a HC in 2017? (If he's an actual candidate for Jacksonville, what's that say about Baalke? Jesus LOL) That being said, the numbers don't lie-One black HC. Two black OCs. The Bears hire who? McDip**** might get another go in Vegas. Talk about old white guys hiring people old white guys are comfortable with.

Yes. People want to keep injecting race into hires whenever it doesn't go their way but the most qualified and deserving candidate will end up getting get hired.
Is the guy I've never heard of who got the Bears job really the most qualified and deserving candidate? No ****ing way Mike McCarthy was the "most deserving and qualified" candidate to coach the Cowboys. No way the most qualified and deserving candidate for the Raider job is Josh McDaniels. Brandon Staley literally thought the Chargers out of a playoff berth. Is he the most qualified and deserving candidate? I doubt it-I wasn't impressed by them at all this past year.

CU’s hiring of Embree/EB, Midnight Mel, and Dorrell have not exactly supported anyone’s point that more black coaches should be hired. Hopefully, their tenures won’t hinder future minority hires here or elsewhere.

Swap Bieniemy and McCown’s places and do you think EB even sniffs an NFL job? Not even close.

The “best and most qualified candidate always gets the job” is so far from the truth.

McCown is an assistant HS coach!!! Joe Judge was a ST’a coach

CU’s hiring of Embree/EB, Midnight Mel, and Dorrell have not exactly supported anyone’s point that more black coaches should be hired. Hopefully, their tenures won’t hinder future minority hires here or elsewhere.

CU hiring of Dan Hakwins, Coach MacIntyre.2 have not discouraged future hirings of white coaches.

This is a weird take on a couple levels. Does anyone really think the failings of the Embree/EB and Dorrell tenures have anything to do with their race? The lesson isn’t stop hiring black coaches, it’s stop hiring woefully unqualified coaches that no one else in their right mind would hire.

And Tucker seems like a pretty damn good coach at this point so not sure why he would be included with the other two.

Does anyone really believe that an NFL owner wouldn't hire the best candidate they see fit that would help their team win, regardless of race? NFL owners want to win. Is there some subconcious bias against hiring black coaches? Maybe but only to a very small extent. But if a coach is impressive in the interview and wins the organization over then they will be hired regardless of race. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing the race card.
This is an idiotic take, especially after the way they handled the Kaepernick situation. Hate to burst your bubble: racism is still alive and well. It isn’t “playing the race card” to acknowledge this reality.

This is an idiotic take, especially after the way they handled the Kaepernick situation. Hate to burst your bubble: racism is still alive and well. It isn’t “playing the race card” to acknowledge this reality.
Wait? Kapernick is African American?

EB has the Andy Reid overhang. EB has the volatile, fiery overhang, EB has the nobody else wants him overhang. EB has the doesn’t interview well overhang. EB has the he’s not next in line at KC overhang.

No one issue disqualifies him. Taken collectively, it’s not a good profile IMO.

Lol the guy arguing in favor of Kapernick is telling someone else they have a bad take. He is an average / below average quarterback who started whining the second he got benched. That's why he's not in the league, not racism. If you want to believe a GM would rather lose a Super Bowl with a white head coach than win one with a black head coach, you're fine to believe that but it's retarded

Josh McDaniels getting another opportunity to be a head coach shows the NFL has a problem with minority hiring.....and it ain't just EB. Somebody really want to argue he's more qualified than Byron Leftwich to be an NFL HC right now?

Texans are about to hire a high school coach Josh McCown. EB should seriously consider College football.

Back