What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How excited are you about Dorrell as our new HC?

How excited are you?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Based on the assumption he's very mature, steady and good with players (ie, retaining the class), I'm feeling good.
He can wow the kids with his Dolphins SuperBowl Ring Dolphins Playoffs Ring Dolphins Participation ring.

For me this is a 6- or a meh. I don’t think it’s a bad hire given the circumstances. I will have to wait to see his staff and his recruiting plan. TC would be a good start, I’d love to see Cable too.

one of my buddies who is a Cu grad brought up the point that this will probably be MacIntyre 2.0. I’m holding out hope that this will be a combination of MT and MM

This article was already posted on another thread but I think it's a good read. Without that article, I'd have ranked the hire as a 4 or 5. I would now put this at 6 or 7.

This article was already posted on another thread but I think it's a good read. Without that article, I'd have ranked the hire as a 4 or 5. I would now put this at 6 or 7.
I think it's a false choice that Howell put forward.

Why not both?

It's very possible to find someone with both style and substance.

I rated it a 2. I really felt like the program was ready to make a step forward. I think KD would have been a good hire for a rebuild, where the most important thing is to have an adult in the room running things, but this is the exact wrong hire to take us to the next level. We need someone that is going to take our recruiting to the next level and that is not KD. The first test will be keeping those expected to contribute next year out of the transfer portal.

I think RG overvalued connections to the program/Boulder. I think the next 4 years will play out 7-5 (false hope), 5-7, 3-9, fired half way through the year after getting blown out in all P5 games.

Just changed my vote from a "3" to a "6" after seeing:

1. He met with the seniors first. Then addressed the team ahead of any press stuff. (He's about the team, not himself.)
2. His press conference revealed the type of man we can be proud of being the representative of the program we love.

He's now meeting with current coaches and staffers. After that, he'll build the staff.

His staff and his ability to retain key players this year will determine if and how my excitement level changes.

Gotta be some formula to measure the spectrum between a desirable football program or some kind of coaching graveyard.

HC / tenure / Record/Exit / Next Job
Fairbanks/3yr/ 7-36 /Fired /USFL HC
McCartney /13yr/93-55-5/Quit/left football
Neuheisel/ 4yr/33-14/Hired Away/ HC UDub
Barnett/ 7yr/49-38/Fired/left football
Hawkins/5yr/19-39/Fired/CFL HC
Embree/2yr/4-21/Fired/NFL assistant
MacIntyre/5yr/30-44/Fired/Ol’Miss DC
Tucker/1yr/5-7/hired away/HC MSU

8 coaches - 5 fired.
5 did not immediately return to NCAA.
1 to NFL.
1 to Canadian League.
1 to USFL
2 hired away as HC for more $.
2 retired permanently from football

trends: shorter tenures, fewer winning seasons.

More likely to be fired than headhunted
More likely to leave with a losing record.
Tenure expectancy <5yrs

1:4 of stepping stone to better NCAA job.
1:4 of coaching abroad or with expansion league.
1:4 of not coaching again.
1:8 of demotion to NCAA assistant. 1:8 of an NFL gig.

3:8 of a winning record.
Nitpicking just a little, but Fairbanks quit. He wasn’t fired. He probably should have been fired, but he wasn’t.

Changed from a 7 to a 9 based on the press conference - very impressed by his sincerity, firm commitment to CU, and overall genuineness.

I give it a 6. I was at 5, press conference bumps it up 1. I am excited for the long term trajectory of the program, not excited about how long it will take to get there

I don't think the PC did anything to change the excitement level. It confirmed what I think most of us probably already knew... That Dorrell is a very genuine, high character guy who is a consummate professional and really wants to be in Boulder. I haven't doubted that he's a good coach who will have the team playing sound, fundamental football and be a great leader and mentor for the players. Questions remain about his staff and how much emphasis he'll place on recruiting.

I give it a 6. I was at 5, press conference bumps it up 1. I am excited for the long term trajectory of the program, not excited about how long it will take to get there
Same. He can easily get up to an 7 or even an 8 depending on how the class holds together and the staff he brings in.

Both of those will be graded on a curve.

6 to 7, warming up to it.....ticks a lot of boxes....maybe.

not from Missouri.....but "show me" is where i am at.

let's win some games.

I was a seven before the PC. I’ll stay there, everything he said was good, I just wanted to hear more about a firm commitment to “recruiting everyday”.

I really liked that part of the previous regime. Need to bring in recruiters who can teach.

I thought Dorrell was awkward and uncomfortable at the press conference, which made me more excited. I figure it this way: It's pretty clear that he didn't get to where he is by being a smooth talker.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I give it a 1 because it just isn’t “exciting” at all. At the same time, I’m ready to support Hot Karl and believe he has a chance to be successful here.
Come on. A “1” would be the score you’d give if they had hired a high school coach or worse. A “1” is ridiculous. All of you who gave this hire a “1” or “2” are just pissed off and taking it out on HCKD and RG. “1” or “2” isn’t even logical.

Come on. A “1” would be the score you’d give if they had hired a high school coach or worse. A “1” is ridiculous. All of you who gave this hire a “1” or “2” are just pissed off and taking it out on HCKD and RG. “1” or “2” isn’t even logical.

It's a democracy, they voted now deal with it BOT!

You going to address those who gave it a 7 or higher? Two people gave it a 10.

I went from a 1 to about a 5-6. Still not where I wanted to go but the presser makes me want to pull for him. Not all coaches have that knack especially for someone who was not on board at all with his hire.

Back