What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How excited are you about Dorrell as our new HC?

How excited are you?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why, because you are 20 something and need self gratification every 20 seconds to make the whole world revolve around you?
giphy.gif

I know his life has been a whirlwind the last couple days but I would like Dorrell to be an active participant on social media. His Twitter has nothing so far. Something to watch going forward

If this were this summer, I'd agree with you-but I think you're being a bit ridiculous right now. I'm far more concerned about the six unfilled staff spots than I am Dorrell's social media activity in his first week on the job. This isn't even a concern at this point. I'm sure Dorrell will rely on DC and Michalowski (who is pretty good with twitter in his own right) for help here if he needs it.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:
He has emphasized recruiting chops with assistants a lot more than I had feared.

On paper, I think we're light compared to other P5 programs with out coordinators and offensive staff. I think we have a defensive staff that's right at the top of the conference now.

He has emphasized recruiting chops with assistants a lot more than I had feared.

On paper, I think we're light compared to other P5 programs with out coordinators and offensive staff. I think we have a defensive staff that's right at the top of the conference now.
If he'd not gone off the reservation with this OL hire, I'd be at a 5 or maybe a 5.5. Not excited, but not doomy. I'm now 'up" from a 3 to a 4. Don't see this going well right now as the offensive staff has one proven recruiter who will be too busy to emphasize his main strength during the season and a whole bunch of questions. If you have to ask whether almost every position coach on offense is going to even be decent and you don't know the answer, yikes.

If he'd not gone off the reservation with this OL hire, I'd be at a 5 or maybe a 5.5. Not excited, but not doomy. I'm now 'up" from a 3 to a 4. Don't see this going well right now as the offensive staff has one proven recruiter who will be too busy to emphasize his main strength during the season and a whole bunch of questions. If you have to ask whether almost every position coach on offense is going to even be decent and you don't know the answer, yikes.
If Mark Smith finishes up our defensive staff, I'll be very happy on that side of the ball.

QB Coach has me filled with anxiety. Names I'm hearing either don't have the experience that I think we need to round out the offensive staff or haven't impressed me with their job performance. Probably a difficult position to hire, too. Those guys are in demand and the good ones are generally coordinators.

If Mark Smith finishes up our defensive staff, I'll be very happy on that side of the ball.

QB Coach has me filled with anxiety. Names I'm hearing either don't have the experience that I think we need to round out the offensive staff or haven't impressed me with their job performance. Probably a difficult position to hire, too. Those guys are in demand and the good ones are generally coordinators.

I really like the defensive staff, which is why our offensive staff is so confusing to me. Karl's got the connections to do better. When I look at the defensive staff, I think that one guy was already coming (wilson), but that we went out and found better guys for the other open spots once Karl got here. For offense, it seems like we are taking the easy route and using connections from the past or existing staff instead of being aggressive.

Agreed on the names we are hearing at QB coach aren't great. That's a position with a lot of responsibility and limited, but huge, recruiting duties. I hadn't spent too much time thinking about the box Chev as OC puts us in, but damn, you are right. Our choices will be limited to old retreads / journeymen without better prospects or extremely young and inexperienced guys who hopefully have promise. You could make a young guy Co-OC, but we already tried that with Chev and it was a disaster. He may not be someone who can succeed in that kind of partnership long term. That's supposition though.

The problem is that we aren't even getting decent recruiting out of the guys on offense hired so far. sigh.

I'm now reduced to hoping we are all idiots, hiring all coaches is a crap shoot, and that Chev learned a lot from his initial failures as OC.

I think your last sentence is also somewhat applicable to OL coaches, who are often viewed as the most important assistant coaches. It also just highlights the fact that we have gone against the grain and made a prime recruiting assistant position the OC. Embree and QB coach both need to be high level recruiters.

If Dorell takes CU to a bowl game every year plus contend for a conference championship in one season, I would end up being VERY HAPPY with this hire.

Back