What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is sustained success even possible at CU?

Each year of mediocrity that passes further cements CU among the Illinois, Missou and Syracuse of the world. Not a laughing stock like Kansas or Rutgers a couple years ago. But just irrelevant and essentially incapable of a big upset. Consider that recruits nowadays are not old enough to even remember the Barnett era. All they know is bottom-dweller bull**** and one random flash in a pan

RG was just extended with a pay raise from the regents with a vote of 8-0, or 9-0, doesn't really matter. That is almost unheard of within CU regents. I think I know why

Does anyone think there's a chance that FBS separates into two divisions? Say 4 x 16 team conferences in the top division that play an 8 team playoff, and then the rest of the teams in a new second tier division.

Whether or not you think it happens, do you think if it happened that CU would find it's way into one of those top 64 slots?

I think being in the second division would be the path to "success" for CU football.

Does anyone think there's a chance that FBS separates into two divisions? Say 4 x 16 team conferences in the top division that play an 8 team playoff, and then the rest of the teams in a new second tier division.

Whether or not you think it happens, do you think if it happened that CU would find it's way into one of those top 64 slots?

I think being in the second division would be the path to "success" for CU football.

I could see the G5 having their own division.

I'm affiliated with a P5 university that in many ways is very similar to CU. Our deans don't really give a **** about football or even talk about it ever. Leadership is (rightly) focused on

(1) surviving coronavirus; and
(2) improving academics

rather than the W-L record of the sports teams. For the most part, no one even seems aware of football. I've certainly never heard it come up in a meeting.

University leadership (at every university) cares about $$$. For CU and my institution, that means: grants, NSFs, partnerships with large regional corporations, whatever. At Ohio State or LSU, $$$ means winning at football. It's just different, and it probably won't ever change. Should it change? I don't know. Mediocre athletics are in some ways part of the cost you pay for being an alum of a resource constrained university that's focused on academics. Some like e.g Michigan do both, but that's few and far between.

Last edited:
College basketball recruiting is a bigger cesspool than College football in many ways, but the basketball team is making inroads. Blame falls squarely on the AD.
I’m not following this. Both programs -football and basketball - are under the same administration and AD. If one is struggling while the other is finding success, wouldn’t it stand to reason that the struggling program is struggling due to its own incompetence, not that of the AD?

Revisionist bull****. Tucker left because MSU paid the man a **** ton of money.
That’s accurate, but from multiple accounts there was a contentious relationship developing between he and RG because he was supposedly told that there would be some leniency on the academic admission side and multiple recruits ended up being denied.

I’m guessing Tucker was going to be on his way out sooner rather than later anyways, and when a job like MSU came knocking, it was a no brainer.

I was fully ready to read posts from him about how we just got manhandled and how Turley will change that next year, but was pleasantly surprised to see that even he has seemingly seen the light
The level of butt hurt over there is at an all time level. Everyone finally coming to terms that the team and staff are ****, and struggling to swallow the crow that is on their dinner plate. Absolutely hilarious seeing them turn their angst towards everyone they previously ridiculed for failing to drink the Kool Aid. LOL

Maximum is actually one of the few that is like, "Yeah, everyone else was right. I'm always wrong. FML".

Revisionist bull****. Tucker left because MSU paid the man a **** ton of money.
If memory serves, we were offering to come close to MSU and a contract extension.
Either way, he made it pretty clear on his way out the door that he wasn’t able to get the kids he wanted and that promises were broken

Each year of mediocrity that passes further cements CU among the Illinois, Missou and Syracuse of the world. Not a laughing stock like Kansas or Rutgers a couple years ago. But just irrelevant and essentially incapable of a big upset. Consider that recruits nowadays are not old enough to even remember the Barnett era. All they know is bottom-dweller bull**** and one random flash in a pan
We would be stoked with Illinois, Missouri and Syracuse level of success. Reasonable expectation of a bowl game every year, sometimes even a top tier one. We’ve sunk lower than them.

If memory serves, we were offering to come close to MSU and a contract extension.
Either way, he made it pretty clear on his way out the door that he wasn’t able to get the kids he wanted and that promises were broken
The money was not going to be close to MSU - a million or so apart for the HC and 1.5-2mm apart on the staff.

For Rick George to be successful, he has to support those who surround him to be successful. I have no idea how much or how little emphasis he puts on that.

Is sustained success of the Pac 12 even a possibility?

Yesterday was a pretty bad day.

The AP ranked losses were #11 Florida to #1 Alabama, #15 Va Tech to West Va., #24 Miami to Michigan State and a pair or Pac-12 losses #19 Arizona State to #23 BYU and #13 UCLA to Fresno State. Arizona is hot garbage and lost to Northern Arizona, Utah lost to San Diego State. I'm not sure there's a meaningful non-con win yesterday; does Stanford beating Vanderbilt even count as a win over the SEC?

Too bad the conference can't make BYU an honorary member of the South division this year to give Oregon a legit opponent come CCG time. The Cougs are already 3-0 vs the Pac 12 and have Wazzu and USC left on the schedule.

We could see Oregon run the table, stomp their opponent in the CCG, and rightly be left out of the CFP, making the 5th year in a row with no Pac 12 entrant.

Is sustained success of the Pac 12 even a possibility?

Yesterday was a pretty bad day.

The AP ranked losses were #11 Florida to #1 Alabama, #15 Va Tech to West Va., #24 Miami to Michigan State and a pair or Pac-12 losses #19 Arizona State to #23 BYU and #13 UCLA to Fresno State. Arizona is hot garbage and lost to Northern Arizona, Utah lost to San Diego State. I'm not sure there's a meaningful non-con win yesterday; does Stanford beating Vanderbilt even count as a win over the SEC?

Too bad the conference can't make BYU an honorary member of the South division this year to give Oregon a legit opponent come CCG time. The Cougs are already 3-0 vs the Pac 12 and have Wazzu and USC left on the schedule.

We could see Oregon run the table, stomp their opponent in the CCG, and rightly be left out of the CFP, making the 5th year in a row with no Pac 12 entrant.
Sadly (or happily), I see Oregon ****ting the bed for at least one game this year.

Yesterday was no doubt a disaster for the PAC (as much as I enjoyed UCLA losing). For the conference to get into the playoff it would require Oregon running the table and then either USC or UCLA winning the south with 2 losses max. It’s a real possibility that the conference only has one ranked team this week. And frankly I don’t think Oregon is even that good, Ohio State will not win the BIG this year

We have sustained at sucking at being a below average team. Until this university decides to go all in on the football program and spend the money it takes to hire a head coach and pay assistant coaches the ones who understanding it is about recruiting at a high level we got what we got

We have sustained at sucking at being a below average team. Until this university decides to go all in on the football program and spend the money it takes to hire a head coach and pay assistant coaches the ones who understanding it is about recruiting at a high level we got what we got
We aren’t getting even decent value for the money we’re spending. Totally agree that CU could spend more but just paying below average coaches more doesn’t work. I’m not suggesting competing with the Oregon’s and Ohio State’s of the world but we can/should be better with the budget we have.

We would be stoked with Illinois, Missouri and Syracuse level of success. Reasonable expectation of a bowl game every year, sometimes even a top tier one. We’ve sunk lower than them.
Illinois is averaging 4 wins a year since 2012. Syracuse is 26-37 since 2016. What top-tier bowls does Mizzou play in?

We haven’t been good in awhile, but we don’t need made scenarios to prove that.

1632088286136.png

2005 was the last time they went to consecutive bowl games, that was my hope for this season; it was also Barnett's last season.

Three bowls in fifteen years is rough. Two winning seasons (really 1.5 winning seasons given last year's Charmin soft, super short schedule) in 15 years.

It's easy to forget just how bad it's been for so long. A record of 65-113 (.365) a hair better than 4-8 for an average 12 game season.

That's pretty much what this program has "accomplished" in the time that recruits over the next few seasons have been able to walk.

Last edited:
CU has a lot going against it that has little to do with the administration.

- Lack of big money donors. CU has comparatively few donors with the money or the will to focus on athletics and football. I am not saying we don’t has some good donors but compared to the top programs we are way down the list.

- Lack of passion in the region for college sports. The population is growing and CU attendance is flat or declining. If you were a top HS player and you walked into a Stadium packed with 80000 rabid fans vs CU which one would you rather commit to.

- PAC 12 is hurting CU, poor TV exposure. Etc.

- CU has a sparse recruiting area.

- Since Barnett was fired CU has made too many bad hiring decisions and wasted the resources they do have. Overpaying mediocre assistants instead of searching for better ones.

I could go on for days but we are not going to get out of this hole overnight.

View attachment 46930

2005 was the last time they went to consecutive bowl games, that was my hope for this season; it was also Barnett's last season.

Three bowls in fifteen years is rough. Two winning seasons (really 1.5 winning seasons given last year's Charmin soft, super short schedule) in 15 years.

It's easy to forget just how bad it's been for so long. A record of 65-113 (.365) a hair better than 3-9 for an average 12 game season.

That's pretty much what this program has "accomplished" in the time that recruits over the next few seasons have been able to walk.
Thanks for the table. Graphic, factual, dispiriting.
Following CU football post-Barnett is like watching an imaginary sister who who love go through 4 divorces and end up in a rusted out single wide trailer. She was allergic to your advice and now won’t even return anyone’s calls.

CU has a lot going against it that has little to do with the administration.

- Lack of big money donors. CU has comparatively few donors with the money or the will to focus on athletics and football. I am not saying we don’t has some good donors but compared to the top programs we are way down the list.

- Lack of passion in the region for college sports. The population is growing and CU attendance is flat or declining. If you were a top HS player and you walked into a Stadium packed with 80000 rabid fans vs CU which one would you rather commit to.

- PAC 12 is hurting CU, poor TV exposure. Etc.

- CU has a sparse recruiting area.

- Since Barnett was fired CU has made too many bad hiring decisions and wasted the resources they do have. Overpaying mediocre assistants instead of searching for better ones.

I could go on for days but we are not going to get out of this hole overnight.
I agree with a lot of that but not recruiting area. There are many programs, not in recruiting hot beds, that have had recent success.

Iowa, Iowa State, Indiana, Utah, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma State are just a few.

CU for whatever reason has not been able to land the top players from Colorado.

Back