What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kyle DeVan - OL Coach

Now that Devan is on board and Cu has even become more younger and inexperienced on the OL with the departure of Pursell, Kutsh, Wray, and Lee. We need vets that can play now. Give the younger talented OL time to develop.

Karl Marx Yes GIF by 1091

More talent is always better, but CU would have one of the worst OLs in G5.

A top 20% G5 offensive line would be a huge improvement. I’d say we have enough talent with good coaching to be middle of PAC, with a better LT, some depth, and good coaching. Definitely need to pick up a LT and an Interior starter and then some depth and DEVELOP them.
I’d like to see the OL get much bigger…tired of the 290-300lb OL. If we want to be an offense similar to Minnesota, we need 325lb + OL across the board. AD needs to open up the training table and weight room so we can get to that level.

Kutsch is going to be hard to replace. He was the only OL who had a good season in 2021.
With that said, many of the issues were communication. Fillip looked good in his debuts going back to 2018. Very promising. He looked awful in 2021, as did the RGs (Kanan Ray and Casey Roddick - didn't matter which). They let so many guys fly by them untouched because 2 were blocking the same guy. This is why I could not support Vlachos after I looked carefully at the Utah game. Their DL beat us with jellybean stunts. Over and over. We looked like we had our hands tied behind our backs. All these guys have gone up against Utah before and never looked that crappy.

All 3 guys above played better 2 or 3 years ago (as did Pursell). THIS IS THE ENIGMA.

How bad was our offensive line when you consider Pursell, Kutsch, Roddick and Fillip have all started games and had some measure of success prior to 2021?

I know, we were young.... /sarcasm

well when the OL was literally being uncoached..

what kind of things did MRoD say in his interview that KD swooned over?

"I will uncoach the hell out of your players"

"I recruit the greater Mississippi area like nobody else"

"My offerup game is very strong"

"I'm close to unlocking the key to blocking the basic stunt"

well when the OL was literally being uncoached..

what kind of things did MRoD say in his interview that KD swooned over?

"I will uncoach the hell out of your players"

"I recruit the greater Mississippi area like nobody else"

"My offerup game is very strong"

"I'm close to unlocking the key to blocking the basic stunt"
2 sleds for 1 coach!

We, justifiably, give our OL grief, but it’s sometimes fun to see a championship contender have some issues as well.

That's not an oline issue. No big body is blocking that move, except for the truly special OT. And even then, they probably miss ~50% of the time. Ojabo is a freak, and that move is something else

That's not an oline issue. No big body is blocking that move, except for the truly special OT. And even then, they probably miss ~50% of the time. Ojabo is a freak, and that move is something else
I would assume the back was supposed to help on that before he released, umm, he didn't do anything.

I would assume the back was supposed to help on that before he released, umm, he didn't do anything.
He actually did what he was supposed to. You're taught to look inside out especially with a walk up into a gap and the blocking call going away from him. If anything he was a little slow to release into the route once he saw the walk up flow/drop into coverage. But, I wouldn't bust on him in film for this at all. At the end of the day, it was simply a very good move by the DE.

He actually did what he was supposed to. You're taught to look inside out especially with a walk up into a gap and the blocking call going away from him. If anything he was a little slow to release into the route once he saw the walk up flow/drop into coverage. But, I wouldn't bust on him in film for this at all. At the end of the day, it was simply a very good move by the DE.
I'm aware of that. Inside first then out. Problem is, the inside guy wasn't coming. He could've at least chipped the outside guy a bit.

I'm aware of that. Inside first then out. Problem is, the inside guy wasn't coming. He could've at least chipped the outside guy a bit.
True, but his assignment order is most likely pick up B gap pressure, if no show, release to flat. I almost guarantee there was no help assignment here. You just assume the DE isn't going to smoke your LT this bad.

True, but his assignment order is most likely pick up B gap pressure, if no show, release to flat. I almost guarantee there was no help assignment here. You just assume the DE isn't going to smoke your LT this bad.
Also true, but you will see things on the field happen that weren't assigned. You have to adjust on the fly.

Also true, but you will see things on the field happen that weren't assigned. You have to adjust on the fly.
The RB has his assignment. The LT has his assignment. The QB has his assignment. And on and on and on. You don't freelance. Freelancing fvcks the whole thing up. If the LT doesn't get smoked and gets enough of a piece of the DE, Bennett is able to stay in the pocket, the RB is able to release and Bennett has an available check down to the RB. I can't see the set or route concept here, but I'm assuming the WR(s) on the left side are running routes that clear out the flat for the outlet. Again, if the DE doesn't make a great play and the LT doesn't get worked, Bennett has enough time to work from the pocket and has a good option in the flat if needed - that's his assignment, that's the play call. Don't freelance.

Now that Devan is on board and Cu has even become more younger and inexperienced on the OL with the departure of Pursell, Kutsh, Wray, and Lee. We need vets that can play now. Give the younger talented OL time to develop.
Is it official that Carson Lee is gone? I haven't heard anything recently.

The RB has his assignment. The LT has his assignment. The QB has his assignment. And on and on and on. You don't freelance. Freelancing fvcks the whole thing up. If the LT doesn't get smoked and gets enough of a piece of the DE, Bennett is able to stay in the pocket, the RB is able to release and Bennett has an available check down to the RB. I can't see the set or route concept here, but I'm assuming the WR(s) on the left side are running routes that clear out the flat for the outlet. Again, if the DE doesn't make a great play and the LT doesn't get worked, Bennett has enough time to work from the pocket and has a good option in the flat if needed - that's his assignment, that's the play call. Don't freelance.
I agree with you to a point, but adjusting isn't freelancing. You do it by what you see happening. Plus, the qb isn't going to hit the flat when he's running the other direction.

I agree with you to a point, but adjusting isn't freelancing. You do it by what you see happening. Plus, the qb isn't going to hit the flat when he's running the other direction.
The QB bails right because of backside pressure. The original call is a straight drop. The play assignment for the RB is look for B gap pressure, then release to flat if nothing shows. He does what he is supposed to do. I guarantee if the RB doesn't execute his given assignment on the play, no matter what the LT does, he gets his ass chewed. BECAUSE, if Bennett steps up instead of bailing right, he can dump it off for likely a decent gain given the defensive flow. If the RB is chipping or helping that outlet is not there. Lose lose for him. All that said, the LT got worked, looked bad doing it and should be ridiciuled mercilessly at film on Monday. ;-)

The QB bails right because of backside pressure. The original call is a straight drop. The play assignment for the RB is look for B gap pressure, then release to flat if nothing shows. He does what he is supposed to do. I guarantee if the RB doesn't execute his given assignment on the play, no matter what the LT does, he gets his ass chewed. BECAUSE, if Bennett steps up instead of bailing right, he can dump it off for likely a decent gain given the defensive flow. If the RB is chipping or helping that outlet is not there. Lose lose for him. All that said, the LT got worked, looked bad doing it and should be ridiciuled mercilessly at film on Monday. ;-)
Ok, we'll just agree to disagree. That work?

Weird, I just witnessed an informative discussion where I learned something, and not one personal attack. Did I wake up in 2010?
I'm really disappointed with what this site has turned into. I expected better this early in 2022

Back