What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

I'll leave it to someone else to spin this positively. I think it's a painful reminder that seasons like the one we experienced are really as good as it will ever get for us. I've had to put some distance between the team and myself over the last 10 years because of **** like this - it's pointless to be so invested in a team when the coaches and administrators are not. One step forward and two steps back is where this team lives in perpetuity.

The sun rose and CU is awesome again. Signing those JUCOs yesterday took some sting of Leavitt's departure.

HCMM was the one that decided on the three man defensive front not Leavitt and it worked. It will work again with the new DC. Time to move on!

His financial future was set after the settlement from USF. This is just greed.

Puhlease.... This is a business thats made of money. Thats his job. Someone is offering a lot more than we think hes worth.

He did great things here. He's leaving it in far better shape than he found it. I wish we could match the offer but apparently we cant.

The bar for DC pay in conference just got a lot higher. Budgets will be adjusted for next fiscal year. Fund raisers will have some new marching orders.

Clay Travis is an SEC shill who thinks it's the end all, be all of college football. Kind of sucks that went down the way it did, as I do typically like his stuff. I don't think the question was bad at all. However, once a guest says "no comment" or dodges it in any way, as a professional radio show host, he needs to just move on. It's clear MM and the rest of the staff are pretty upset about how the Leavitt situation was handled and they're a little testy right now.

It's clear MM and the rest of the staff are pretty upset about how the Leavitt situation was handled and they're a little testy right now.

CU, in general, seems a lot more testy about the media than most places. I assume it stems from what happened a little over a decade ago. But I've never seen an organization in sports that's so focused about having complete control over the media coverage of the teams.

Total BS and untrue. Leavitt owes Mac big time. Leavitt is/was damaged goods. Ask anyone outside of Colorado fans and the first thing they think of when discussing Leavitt is him slapping around a player. Mac took a chance and it allowed Leavitt to rebuild his rep.

Leavitt would not be making 1.2 million a year with out Mac period.
And Mac probably isn't COTY without Levitt. Regardless, Mac hired him when we were a much much worse team. It's likely to be much easier to get a top quality guy now.

We r in good hands w Mac. Remember as D.C. he won the assistant coach award Leavitt didn't. And Mac hired JL. I'm not that upset today after having time to think about it...and landing Edwards.

CU, in general, seems a lot more testy about the media than most places. I assume it stems from what happened a little over a decade ago. But I've never seen an organization in sports that's so focused about having complete control over the media coverage of the teams.
Agreed. For some background on this specific situation, though, MM has been on with Clay Travis multiple times and there's never been an issue. Mac has always been his cheery, "goobery" self, but from the beginning of today's interview, you could tell he was not happy to be on. Fairly short answers, with a pretty indifferent tone. I also would have thought Mac would have given a little more leeway with the ridiculous, "so that's a yes" comment. Just something like, "I'm just honestly not going to talk about that, Clay, so let's move on". I understand him being upset about the follow up, but to hang up in the middle of an interview that you agreed to do, just isn't a good look. It's not a Jim Rome situation.

Buffnik's suggestion that there may have been a gentleman's agreement to not talk about other job offers makes a lot of sense for why Coach Mac may have reacted the way he did. Given what happened yesterday I can see him not wanting to create anymore uncertainty related to job speculation while he's trying to close out this recruiting class and get the guys focused on their bowl game. With how things played out a lot of the players are probably a little hurt that things broke like that on social media and it makes sense to not want add to that problem.

Buffnik's suggestion that there may have been a gentleman's agreement to not talk about other job offers makes a lot of sense for why Coach Mac may have reacted the way he did. Given what happened yesterday I can see him not wanting to create anymore uncertainty related to job speculation while he's trying to close out this recruiting class and get the guys focused on their bowl game. With how things played out a lot of the players are probably a little hurt that things broke like that on social media and it makes sense to not want add to that problem.
It may have been asked that job offers not be brought up, but unfortunately, the listening public doesn't know that and Mac (and CU) came off poorly for the reaction.

Mac didn't really come off poorly, he even sort of answered the question the first time Clay asked when saying you are either gonna be fired or you are leaving. No biggie.

I think that are overall scheme, our secondary coaching and our line coaching are in a relatively good place. The hard things to replace will be:
-JL brought great team defense because he was an awesome scheme tweaker who knew how to cover weaknesses
-JL really coached-up the line backers...and he knows a lot about that position
-JL was an intuitive and super experienced play caller who knew how to dial up all kinds of pressure

I'll leave it to someone else to spin this positively. I think it's a painful reminder that seasons like the one we experienced are really as good as it will ever get for us. I've had to put some distance between the team and myself over the last 10 years because of **** like this - it's pointless to be so invested in a team when the coaches and administrators are not. One step forward and two steps back is where this team lives in perpetuity.

Dude, get off that ledge. The gnashing of teeth around here is completely over the top. Losing assistants is part of having a winning program. Buffs will be OK.

Their female what?

Booker
20141112__CU-Askia-Bookerp1.jpg

my concern is not losing JL. my concern is losing a coordinator to another conference team for the same position, allegedly because CU wasn't competitive in cost.

I'm not aware of any previous time that a coordinator left a P5 school in middle of their contract for the same position at another team in the same confernece. Many are saying this happens all the time to winning programs, but I'm not aware of it.

From all apparent evidence, this is a sign that CU is not financially competitive in our own conference. I don't know how that isn't seen as a BFD. RG has made progress in fund raising, but there's clearly a big gap left to close.

I'd rather it turn out that the root cause was incompatibility in style between him and HCMM, as that problem would be far easier to correct to the kind of financial gap we're apparently looking at.

Sure, the contract was reportedly a record high, but that's almost irrelevant, as yesterday's record high is today's standard.

Fans are also openly hostile to many members of the media calling for boycotts and banishment regularly.

my concern is not losing JL. my concern is losing a coordinator to another conference team for the same position, allegedly because CU wasn't competitive in cost.

I'm not aware of any previous time that a coordinator left a P5 school in middle of their contract for the same position at another team in the same confernece. Many are saying this happens all the time to winning programs, but I'm not aware of it.

From all apparent evidence, this is a sign that CU is not financially competitive in our own conference. I don't know how that isn't seen as a BFD. RG has made progress in fund raising, but there's clearly a big gap left to close.

I'd rather it turn out that the root cause was incompatibility in style between him and HCMM, as that problem would be far easier to correct to the kind of financial gap we're apparently looking at.

Sure, the contract was reportedly a record high, but that's almost irrelevant, as yesterday's record high is today's standard.

It comes down to Oregon being one of the handful of schools in the country that has an uber rich mega booster. Phil Knight will pay whatever it takes to try and buy UO a national title.

CU can compete with the market at large, but until we get a sugar daddy like Phil Knight we will always be at a disadvantage if someone wants to break the bank.

fwiw, if you'd asked me whether I'd rather sign Javier Edwards or keep Jim Leavitt for another year, I'd have picked Edwards.

I realize it's not an either/or in real life, but on balance this was a good day for CU football. Edwards & Wigley are a huge deal for reloading the 2017 defense.
I want some of what you are smoking . . .

It does not happen often, but even head coaches have jumped to schools in the same conference.

Back