What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

lets all remember leavitt was unemployed and his former coach didnt feel the need to take him along...so mm picked the guy up off the curb and gave him the keys....now he has moved on and we should all move on

Not sure why some have an issue with coach mac's farewell to leavitt. I'm sure the staff knows more than we do, but this seems to have come out of nowhere. It wasn't even a rumor, it just all of a sudden was a done deal. Outside perspective would say the coaches were as blindsided by this as we were. Clearly chiaverini wasn't sending any goodbye kisses either in his tweet. I think there was some anger over the timing (bowl game) and the fact that nobody knew he was even considering changing schools for the SAME position.

Or I'm way off, but I like to pretend I'm right.

Thought about this some...JL owes us nothing and we owe him nothing. Some of the players may disagree, a few might have enhanced their chances for the future while he was here. I find it ironic? that an individual can be loyal to an institution it's employed by..tweet and so on and for some reason abandon that they help create. I'm thinking mostly about the young people he recruited..kind of leaves them hanging out to dry in a way.

lets all remember leavitt was unemployed and his former coach didnt feel the need to take him along...so mm picked the guy up off the curb and gave him the keys....now he has moved on and we should all move on
And when Harbaugh went to Michigan, with a huge budget, he didn't come calling for JL.

Not sure why some have an issue with coach mac's farewell to leavitt. I'm sure the staff knows more than we do, but this seems to have come out of nowhere. It wasn't even a rumor, it just all of a sudden was a done deal. Outside perspective would say the coaches were as blindsided by this as we were. Clearly chiaverini wasn't sending any goodbye kisses either in his tweet. I think there was some anger over the timing (bowl game) and the fact that nobody knew he was even considering changing schools for the SAME position.

There were plenty of rumors, it was all over the premium boards and it was mentioned on here subtly. Mac certainly knew about it beforehand. But there should be no issue with what Mac said, some people just don't like anything he ever says.

There were plenty of rumors, it was all over the premium boards and it was mentioned on here subtly. But there should be no issue with what Mac said, some people just don't like anything he ever says.

Hawg is the resident cu does nothing right antagonist at ***buffs.

Too much angst guys. I don't see any reason why CU won't continue The Rise. We are no longer an undesirable destination. Quite the opposite. There will be top notch coaches knocking on the door. So whether we promote from within or look outside, we'll be fine.

On that note, I'd expect Tumpkin to be the DC for the Alamo Bowl. That game could, very well, be his audition.

That's not how it works. Beyond rumors, MM knew exactly what was going on. No way he was blindsided.

Yeah, take out all of the losing and we have a winning record! Brilliant! ...Talk about missing the point entirely.

Listen - I passionately love the CU Buffs. I've just had my heart broken so many times over the last 20 years that I can't help but be anything but critical and skeptical. It is so typical to finally have a successful year and then simultaneously be disappointed about getting crushed in the conference championship and planning to replace our best assistant coach who is leaving for a competitor. I'm just saying that even when the sun shines on us it's short lived. It's not easy being a Buffs fan.

I think your point is that you're expecting to be horrible because we were horrible since the departure of McCartney; we were horrible under Hawkins and Embree and had significant success and some misfires under Neuheisel and Barnett. We've never had close to the success of this season in the past 10 years, I'm not sure what heartbreak you're referring to that this is some perfect analogy for.

Leavitt was always a stopgap who we knew would jump ship for a HC position if he was successful here. The DC position in conference makes it hard for some to swallow, but he got HC money. This is not some affirmation that CU should be playing MWC football. CU is not Bama, but it is a program that can and should rise to perennial national relevance as it did was for the first half of the 20 years post McCartney.

Hawg is the resident cu does nothing right antagonist at ***buffs.
Yes. That is correct to a certain extent. I have been very complimentary of MM this year after several years of deep - and deserved - criticism in my opinion. He deserves all the praise and awards he has won this year. After a rough start, he has done a wonderful job. His task now is to sustain this year's excellence. Time will tell if he can do such.

On the other hand, this was a bad 24 hrs for CU PR. Some of that is about MM. Much of that is about Plati.

Spin it how you want. Grind any axe you want.

Just so it is clear, Leavitt's buyout is $50,000 per the terms of the contract summary below from the CU Regents Minutes (he could have saved himself $50,000 if he would have waited until after the bowl season):
This action, if approved, would be an agreement to employ James Leavitt as the Defensive Coordinator for the University of Colorado, Boulder campus. The agreement is a multi-year agreement commencing on February 1, 2015 and scheduled to end December 31, 2017. This agreement will supersede the Offer Letter dated February 4, 2015.
Term: The length of the contract is two years and eleven months.
Base and Supplemental Salary: Under this multi-year employment agreement, Leavitt’s initial annual base salary is $300,000, which reflects adjustments available to all UCB exempt employees. His annual supplemental compensation is as follows:
  • Sponsorship Support:$100,000 with an additional $2,500 allocation of NIKE products
  • Community Outreach: $100,000
  • Country Club Membership: $7,500
  • Initial Signing Bonus: $41,666.66
The allowances in the agreement provide for moving expenses up to a maximum amount of $20,000 and a courtesy car or supplemental salary of $700 per month in lieu of a courtesy car.
Liquidated Damages: If Leavitt leaves before the end of the term, he would have to pay liquidated damages as follows:
a. $500,000 if terminated prior to December 31, 2015.
b. $50,000 if terminated prior to December 31, 2016.
c. $0 if terminated prior to December 31, 2017.
Claim by Leavitt for Termination without Cause: The contract provision regarding the maximum amount of damages Leavitt may claim if the University terminates the agreement without cause provides that Leavitt shall be entitled to claim damages in an amount which may not exceed $500,000 per Contract Year for the remaining term of the agreement. The damages in the year in which Leavitt was terminated will be prorated based on the amount already earned in Base Salary and Supplemental Salary, so the maximum payout of salary paid and damages will not exceed the yearly total salary amount.
This multi-year employment agreement is necessary to hire Leavitt in the position of Defensive Coordinator in light of the prevailing market conditions and competitive employment practices in the PAC-12 Conference and nationwide.

That's nonsense - coaches don't leave winning programs for lateral moves within the conference. And frankly - we're talking about a pattern that has developed over two decades.

In other words, I will not get off the ledge and you can't make me! ;) Seriously though - this team is 117-141 since Coach Mac left 20 years ago. I'm tired of the positive spin. We are what we are, which is a magnet for losing and heart ache. I still very much appreciate what MM has been able to accomplish and last season was fun - I'm just saying, that's as good as it gets around here.

STFU D*CK!

There were plenty of rumors, it was all over the premium boards and it was mentioned on here subtly. Mac certainly knew about it beforehand. But there should be no issue with what Mac said, some people just don't like anything he ever says.

Than I'm wrong, oh well! Haha. the tone still felt like he wasn't too pleased.

I think some are making this out to be more than it is. I watched Leavitt and he didn't seem very stable to me. Something's off with that guy. You could debate what he did or didn't do for CU for the next month but he's gone now, time to move on. Mac has proven he can bring in the talent so I'm not going to sweat it. Mac is the better quality coach and man, I'll take him over Leavitt any day. Mac is the real deal.

The thing I give Leavitt for is that he changed the attitude(culture) at CU towards recruiting. I really believe he led by example - going out and finding players that were Power 5 players and he was the one who was first working on changing the external perception of CU on the recruiting trail.

I see nothing wrong w Mac's statement. Impersonal and professional. Not sure what folks were expecting.

I think your point is that you're expecting to be horrible because we were horrible since the departure of McCartney; we were horrible under Hawkins and Embree and had significant success and some misfires under Neuheisel and Barnett. We've never had close to the success of this season in the past 10 years, I'm not sure what heartbreak you're referring to that this is some perfect analogy for.

Leavitt was always a stopgap who we knew would jump ship for a HC position if he was successful here. The DC position in conference makes it hard for some to swallow, but he got HC money. This is not some affirmation that CU should be playing MWC football. CU is not Bama, but it is a program that can and should rise to perennial national relevance as it did was for the first half of the 20 years post McCartney.

I frankly have no idea what you're being so defensive about... My point is merely that people (particularly on this site) are overly optimistic given our track record.

Nobody is talking about anybody playing in the MWC - I'm just saying that I HAD to stop being so emotionally invested in this team because it leads to constant heartache and disappointment. This Leavitt situation is just par for the course - even when we should be enjoying our moment in the sun we're fretting over some turmoil. That's all. Now rip me because I'm not posting sunshine and rainbows.

I frankly have no idea what you're being so defensive about... My point is merely that people (particularly on this site) are overly optimistic given our track record.

Nobody is talking about anybody playing in the MWC - I'm just saying that I HAD to stop being so emotionally invested in this team because it leads to constant heartache and disappointment. This Leavitt situation is just par for the course - even when we should be enjoying our moment in the sun we're fretting over some turmoil. That's all. Now rip me because I'm not posting sunshine and rainbows.

You don't have to post sunshine and rainbows, but you are going to the other extreme. You should be able to just enjoy a 10-win season, not sure why you cannot.

my 2 cents is that leavitt was a bit of a grandstander and needed or wanted alot of attention, this did not mix with mm's emphasis of giving most of the credit or attention to his players and the "whole" coaching staff...that being said i wont deny leavitt being a very good d coach....but very replaceable

Just so it is clear, Leavitt's buyout is $50,000 per the terms of the contract summary below from the CU Regents Minutes (he could have saved himself $50,000 if he would have waited until after the bowl season):
I think he can afford it . . .

Yeah, take out all of the losing and we have a winning record! Brilliant! ...Talk about missing the point entirely.

Listen - I passionately love the CU Buffs. I've just had my heart broken so many times over the last 20 years that I can't help but be anything but critical and skeptical. It is so typical to finally have a successful year and then simultaneously be disappointed about getting crushed in the conference championship and planning to replace our best assistant coach who is leaving for a competitor. I'm just saying that even when the sun shines on us it's short lived. It's not easy being a Buffs fan.

Thats why I dont drink the Koolaid anymore. Its too painful.

You don't have to post sunshine and rainbows, but you are going to the other extreme. You should be able to just enjoy a 10-win season, not sure why you cannot.

I did enjoy it - I had a great time this year! But the Leavitt news was like a serious gut punch, especially on the heels of the championship flameout, and then there was radio show debacle yesterday.

And apparently coming on here to express some disappointment (for one freaking day) is too much for you. Get over yourself.

Back