What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

And you are just manipulating the data to support your opinion. Eight figure money means different things to different people. Percentage based number makes much more sense here. Why would a billionaire care about a eight figure raise?

CU planed to raise his salary. It's definitely not a match, but we are probably talking about 25-30% raise if you compare the final number between two parties.

So yes, people turn down 25-30% raise for right value all the time.

And you are probably confused between money driven and ambitious. That's two completely different thing. In fact, if you are truly ambitious, you have every reason to make your decision based on other things instead of pay raise.
So... you still got nothing with the “all the time” business. I’ll just drop that since you’re unable to prove that bizarre assertion.

The maximum speculated raise on this page was to $4 million, which was $9 million short of MSU’s total HC offer to Tucker. Colorado does not have the AD revenue to accommodate anywhere near the AC pool MT got. Y’all keep ignoring this major selling point. You just want to believe in some mythic ethical standard that’s irrelevant to big time college football. Your personal ethics are unrelated to tens of millions of dollars in a billion dollar business.

This thread is messed up. Are you talking football or basketball? Sounds like 1st grade tots fighting. I liked Bombay’s reply. Gentlemen, we have an important basketball game in a few minutes. Direct your aggression to the ducks.

Stolen from Rward at 247. This is Just the P6, so the % is skewed but I think it's fair to compare CU to this group. If you wanted to expand it to all 360 teams, I think 25% would be way in the rearview mirror.

NCAA appearances since Tad was hired (9 years) - P6 (including the Big East - 71 teams):
9:
Duke
Kansas
Michigan State
North Carolina

8:
Kentucky
Michigan
Villanova
Wisconsin

7:
Arizona
Florida
Iowa State
Kansas State
Ohio State
Purdue
Syracuse
Virginia

6:
Baylor
Louisville
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Oregon
Texas
UCLA
West Virginia

5:
Florida State
Marquette
Minnesota
Providence
Xavier

4:
Butler
Colorado
Georgetown
Indiana
Iowa
Maryland
Miami
Missouri
NC State
Oklahoma State
Pittsburgh
Seton Hall
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

3:
Arizona State
Arkansas
California
Creighton
St. John's
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
USC
Virginia Tech

2:
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Georgia
Illinois
LSU
Utah
Washington

1:
Mississippi State
****braska
North Carolina State
Northwestern
Ole Miss
Oregon State
Penn State
South Carolina
Stanford
TCU
Wake Forest

29 have made more appearances than CU. 42 the same or less.
That’s pretty damn good company and trending up. Way to go Darth!!!

Was out of town and got back today and are you effing kidding me? One season, 5-7 at that and mel leaves for the spartans?

Is this program ever going to get out of this effing hole? What about the recruits?

Worse news imaginable. I knew he'd book eventually but to leave now? Dick move and CU gets burned again.

Was out of town and got back today and are you effing kidding me? One season, 5-7 at that and mel leaves for the spartans?

Is this program ever going to get out of this effing hole? What about the recruits?

Worse news imaginable. I knew he'd book eventually but to leave now? Dick move and CU gets burned again.
You just summed up 53 pages of posts. Welcome to the nightmare. FYI, Chev is the interim.

I’m so sick of people who will never see one million dollars talk about how they’d turn down $18 million more to take a job with more favorable conditions for his direct employees...
Well, I feel better now knowing it was for others and not himself.

The LIes to the players and the lies to the donors is Neuheisel like. Unbelievable.
go back and read it all... You got some catching up to do. AllBuffs were consuming each other over who would take the money and who wouldnt.

It’s a pivotal moment for the PAC 12. This was the cannon shot across the bow of the PAC 12. Figure out media deals that makes us competitive, or be left behind. We are more Mountain West than we are Big 10 right now. This is serious.
Yessiree! CU is now the poster child for the Pac 12’s horrible revenue problems.

I agree with your stance in general, but I think your skewing the narrative excessively. Coaches get screwed over by schools too (remember Barnett being promised an extension by Bohn only to get canned after being blownout in the B12 Conference game?). It's part of the business. We're talking about a football coach leaving a school. Not someone cheating on their wife, or becoming a traitor against their country. Football is a game, but has also become a big business (for everyone involved). The players he recruited still have scholarships to a great university. How have they been harmed other than their feelings? These relationships are the largest of MT's concerns relative to CU...it is a real concern. Trust me, the kids and families will get over it. I wouldn't have left CU, but totally understand why he would for that amount of money.

I appreciate your take, but disagree with the underlying premise:

So.... These coaches are so important, critical to a program’s success that they garner insane salaries, higher pay than anyone else at a school by a huge gap, but they don’t cause any harm when they leave without notice, after getting recruits to sign binding contracts by lying, just as a struggling program is gaining some traction toward improvement and respect?

Not sure how you define harm, then. By that reasoning, the basis for these huge salaries is illusory. I think these salaries reflect the perception of the amount of profit a successful coach can garner.

Certainly, coaches can be fired, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. That fact didn’t change when he moved to a new school. His ability to pursue recovery for an unjust firing pursuant to the terms of his contract didn’t change (as far as we know). Just the amounts changed. In fact, I would think his actions in doing this will increase the scrutiny of his future conduct.

Either way, in assessing his choice and conduct, I find it craven and reprehensible, and I believe it to be harmful to the trajectory of the program, the other coaches he left holding the bag (who may now lose their jobs, too, as a new coach may want his own people), and kids he lied to.

I appreciate your take, but disagree with the underlying premise:

So.... These coaches are so important, critical to a program’s success that they garner insane salaries, higher pay than anyone else at a school by a huge gap, but they don’t cause any harm when they leave without notice, after getting recruits to sign binding contracts by lying, just as a struggling program is gaining some traction toward improvement and respect?

Couple of things here, but if you don't think that most recruits get lied to by most coaches in some form or fashion, your kidding yourself. It is part of the game and has been going on since the inception of recruiting CFB. I am not saying it is right in the least, but I am saying that it is understood by just about everyone. Specific to your allegation (Bolded), how did the coach lie to the recruits in that respect? Mark Dantonio retired the day before NLOI day. Should MT have contacted every recruit and tell them to not sign the LOI because he might be talking to MSU the next day?

Not sure how you define harm, then. By that reasoning, the basis for these huge salaries is illusory. I think these salaries reflect the perception of the amount of profit a successful coach can garner.

I wasn't saying there was zero harm, but certainly not nearly as much harm as you were framing it as. Their feelings were hurt, their trust was broken in a guy they believed in. MT made the decision to cause that harm in exchange for $18MM. The relationship that the kids have with CU is still intact. I would argue it would be worse if he harmed them in such a way and they still had to play for the guy over the next 3-5 years. That said, these salaries are illusory....they are insane and make little sense. But that doesn't change the fact that they are the market. The market might be broken, but it's still the market.

Certainly, coaches can be fired, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. That fact didn’t change when he moved to a new school. His ability to pursue recovery for an unjust firing pursuant to the terms of his contract didn’t change (as far as we know). Just the amounts changed. In fact, I would think his actions in doing this will increase the scrutiny of his future conduct.

100% agree. Any coach can leave at any time as well, that part of these contracts also. CU essentially got more than a "free" year out of their head coach as a result of the contract. We signed a good recruiting class, and had a decent year as it relates to improving the program, changing the culture etc... CU paid MT $2.7M to do this, and will receive $3M in exchange. Overall the program is in a better place now than when MT arrived, and CU paid their HC -$300k during that time.

Either way, in assessing his choice and conduct, I find it craven and reprehensible, and I believe it to be harmful to the trajectory of the program, the other coaches he left holding the bag (who may now lose their jobs, too, as a new coach may want his own people), and kids he lied to.
Any coach in this business expects to be fired if they do a bad job or if something weird happens like this. It's part of the business. That said, you have every right to find this to be chicken **** of MT because of the way he handled it. Won't disagree there, because I love CU and look at it through the lens of a fan. MT is going to make an additional $18MM at the cost of losing the trust in some families that he will likely never interact with ever again. They will still come to CU, if they want, get a free education, and play for a University that we all love for good reason. Hopefully for a really good head coach. I am not convinced this is harmful to the program yet, that is still TBD.

What is the contract situation with AC’s? Do any have time left that will require a buy out if they aren’t retained? Do any of their contracts expire this school year where, if they aren’t retained, they are out of a job?

Back