What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
MacIntyre has coached with him twice, and once as a co-DC so if anyone knows his potential it's our coach. I'm not totally sold but I'm warming up to it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

And MacIntyre coached with Baer as his DC for several years and insisted on bringing him here with the only multi-year contract -seems he was the key staff member. Did not turn out it appears.

Georgia just bumped its.DC to $1.3MM. It's not like CU's current leadership has been saying it's operating on the cheap any more. Pendergast being a candidate shows that money isn't going to automatically rule a guy out if he's the guy HCMM & RG agree is the guy who they want for the job. May hire someone for half that price tag, but the price tag isn't driving the selection process.

Yeah I think that 1 mil tag is for certain guys as well. Couldn't really get a read on Gibbs yesterday, didn't see enough of it. His team sure as hell didn't quit though.

Is Hobby a candidate based on information from a credible source (not Flounder) or is Buffnik speculating because Hobby and MacIntyre once had coffee together.

And MacIntyre coached with Baer as his DC for several years and insisted on bringing him here with the only multi-year contract -seems he was the key staff member. Did not turn out it appears.

That's not a good example, Baer was pretty well known. A more comparable situation would be Lindgren.

Referring to that tweet mentioning that Gibbs and Zac Spavital have a big job waiting for him: Considering Zac Spavital is a DB coach, why would we add a DB coach with Gibbs? Without Baer, we need a LB coach not a DB coach and Gibbs (probably) can't fill that role as he was a DB coach.

Question: would anyone have an issue with CU hiring Hobby if he was on the "hot board" from the beginning? The resume looks decent, except for his lack of experience in our recruiting footprint. He has a background coaching DLs, which this team could use an upgrade with. Obviously he is in MikeMac's coaching tree, so you'd have to assume their coaching styles & philosophy are aligned.

It feels like some are taking the position that "since he wasn't on the originally published list, we are moving on to Plan C, or D, and therefore it is a bad hire". That may be true. But it may be wrong too. It might be that the "hot board" was (mostly) wrong the entire time, and Hobby (or some other coach who has yet to be mentioned) has been Macintyre's primary target from the beginning. It could also mean that we are moving on to Plan L, M, or N. But stating either position as fact, seems speculative.

BTW - I don't know anything about potential Defensive Coordinators, or who would (or might) do a good job here. I'll judge based on how the group performs in 2015.

Here are my issues with Hobby:

1) He hasn't recruited or coached west of the Mississippi - has he really ever seen a Pac 12 offense?

2) He coached with Mac before, so the fact that he wasn't near the top of the list originally (at least based on the reports we've heard about) is troubling.

3) 6 coaches at Clemson are either an Assistant Head Coach, or Co-Coordinator so that title carries less weight IMO. It's like a company with 20 employees that has 17 VPs. I believe Venables runs that defense.

4) We've interviewed other guys already that would seem to be better fits. Of course it could mean that after interviewing Mac decided they weren't the right guys, but IMO if we suddenly go in a new direction it means either they declined or took other jobs which doesn't speak well of Mac.

I agree even Hobby would be an upgrade over Baer, but that's a low bar to set, the same way using Embree's performance to compare how Mac is doing is an awfully low bar.

That's not a good example, Baer was pretty well known. A more comparable situation would be Lindgren.

• :bang: Did you get the SpinMaster 9000 for Christmas. You implied that he was a safe choice because MacIntyre had coached with him previously. MacIntyre coached with Baer previously and more on point he had coached with Baer with in the DC position. Hobby was not the DC when he worked with him so he has less data on how he would perform. And yes Baer was well known but MacIntyre chose him anyway.

Let us just agree that MacIntyre gets a huge pass from you no matter what and my perspective is he has made several missteps to date.

Never did I say it was a safe choice and you're making false assumptions and not actually understanding my post

I would be careful with presuming much from that original list, which may have changed or may have not. None of us know if Hobby is a candidate.

HCMM might have been trying real hard to get him here since day 1 and had to settle for Baer.
Or HCMM may have struck out with all the 3 or 4 guys and now be on his 2nd list.
Or somewhere in between, including that the DC was hired 5 days ago and we are working to complete the staff.

A lot of time has gone by since a list was leaked, and we aren't sure what the list actually was. The fact that the other Brother Gibbs was added shortly thereafter points out that it was unlikely a fully inclusive list. There could have been 4 more candidates that the source hadn't been told about. Or not.

I would be careful with presuming much from that original list, which may have changed or may have not. None of us know if Hobby is a candidate.

HCMM might have been trying real hard to get him here since day 1 and had to settle for Baer.
Or HCMM may have struck out with all the 3 or 4 guys and now be on his 2nd list.
Or somewhere in between, including that the DC was hired 5 days ago and we are working to complete the staff.

A lot of time has gone by since a list was leaked, and we aren't sure what the list actually was. The fact that the other Brother Gibbs was added shortly thereafter points out that it was unlikely a fully inclusive list. There could have been 4 more candidates that the source hadn't been told about. Or not.

Sure it's possible, but until an announcement is made fans are left to speculate on what's going on - nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure we've confirmed by now that 2 of the guys on "the list" have interviewed for the job and since that time new names have begun popping up. It may not be credible, but it sure is making me scratch my head

This whole thing has gone done between Xmas and NY's, too. It is so hard to get contracts done during this timeframe. I could be locked up, just waiting on a formality, or it could be ground zero.

I do not freak out about the unknown.

Now, get past next weekend, and I will light a blow torch and get to work
:devil:

Sure it's possible, but until an announcement is made fans are left to speculate on what's going on - nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure we've confirmed by now that 2 of the guys on "the list" have interviewed for the job and since that time new names have begun popping up. It may not be credible, but it sure is making me scratch my head

Do you know the new names are in fact new, or new to us? Was that list the comprehensive list, and thus we are on plan B or was a guy like Hobbs always on the list as a long-time HCMM favorite? That's the kind of stuff we don't know and so I'd say it's premature to have our fanbase assuming we are now onto plan B because "new to us" names have appeared.

This whole thing has gone done between Xmas and NY's, too. It is so hard to get contracts done during this timeframe. I could be locked up, just waiting on a formality, or it could be ground zero.

I do not freak out about the unknown.

Now, get past next weekend, and I will light a blow torch and get to work
:devil:

I bet this had been going on for almost a month. We got the announcement of Baer to UNLV on the 22nd, which means Baer probably got word he wouldn't be back a few weeks prior and spent some time looking for a new job. Mac could have begun this search in early December.

Do you know the new names are in fact new, or new to us? Was that list the comprehensive list, and thus we are on plan B or was a guy like Hobbs always on the list as a long-time HCMM favorite? That's the kind of stuff we don't know and so I'd say it's premature to have our fanbase assuming we are now onto plan B because "new to us" names have appeared.

Again holic, we have no idea, believe what you want. I believe that guys like Hobbs are Plan B options, but the entire fanbase doesn't have to share that belief.

Again holic, we have no idea, believe what you want. I believe that guys like Hobbs are Plan B options, but the entire fanbase doesn't have to share that belief.

That's the difference...

I believe nothing as there's not enough information out there. I acknowledge there's several possibilities.
You choose to believe the sky is falling.

This staff desperately needs two stud recruiters. We've seen that these guys can get the most out of kids they bring in (Look at Addison Gillam). Lets look at who they're bringing in, though:

N.J. Falo (Klayton Adams recruited him according to Rivals)-CU was his only P5 offer. Other offers came from Northern Colorado, Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, and San Jose State.
Frank Umu (Neinas is listed as his recruiter)-One other FBS offer-CSU. Other offers came from Eastern Washington and Weber State.
Boogie Sewell (Baer)-Other offers were Army, Buffalo, Montana, Southern Utah, and Weber State.
Jay Hockaday (Adams)-Other offers from Furman and Navy. Don't forget Samford
Brett Tonz (Bernardi)-Other offers came from Air Force, San Diego, and UC Davis.

Am I the only one who wonders what's going on up there when I see this type of stuff?

xx

which is the reason said panties are all wadded up. This kind of money from a major university in one of the best conferences in the country and we are in the complete dark? We are the paying customers and deserve some info.
Could you do all of us a favor and email Rick George and demand answers. Then post his response?

Referring to that tweet mentioning that Gibbs and Zac Spavital have a big job waiting for him: Considering Zac Spavital is a DB coach, why would we add a DB coach with Gibbs? Without Baer, we need a LB coach not a DB coach and Gibbs (probably) can't fill that role as he was a DB coach.

Could also mean Clark will be going elsewhere or Spavital coaches LBs. Our RB/TE coach is a former OL after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the difference...

I believe nothing as there's not enough information out there. I acknowledge there's several possibilities.
You choose to believe the sky is falling.

nihilism1ex3_medium.jpg

You must really enjoy the off-season.

Holy crap, some of you girls have your panties in a wad - over something we know next to nothing about! The delay could be a good thing. We'll know when we know; criticize then, if you must.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot where I was.
This. There is much mewling and hand winging. "Will he call? I hope he calls. Why hasn't he called? Maybe I'm not pretty enough..." ****ing man up. Christ.

Or more to the point, CU is not a "big job."

Back