What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
Could also mean Clark will be going elsewhere or Spavital coaches LBs. Our RB/TE coach is a former OL after all.

Whoever the new DC is, he will undoubtedly hire his own assistants. He may or may not interview the current guys.

Sort of explains LaRussa leaving as well, no?

Or more to the point, CU is not a "big job."

Always felt the initial pain of jumping into the Pac 12 waters would eventually pay off (drafted this for you Ram fans :). We have reached that moment. Many announcers recapping the bowl season have been heaping praise on the Pac 12 and its strength relative to the other conferences.

This helps our DC search.... CU DC is a top job for many reasons. Namely: Butkus awards and defensive history of program, very significant facilities upgrade including a stunning IDPF, and a football conference that will likely be considered top one or two football strength in 2015.

Yes, I think PAC is giving the SEC some comp. :nod:

I also doubt a new DC is coming in and cleaning house.

That would be unusual, wouldn't it? I don't know why people are speculating in that direction. Not only unusual in general terms but also seems a bit much for MacIntyre to replace the entire defensive staff. I look around the country and it seems like the HC may replace some defensive assistants at his own discretion, often hiring position coaches before landing on a DC, but I don't know that I've seen a HC hire a DC and then charge him with building the entire defensive staff as his baby.

Doubt past defensive successes are relevant to the current search.
"
No doubt program and defensive history are not the primary influences per the current job openings. Frankly, conference affiliation, facilities, and program commitment ("how and what do I get paid") are most critical to the current DC search.

But, less than 20 schools have a Thorpe, and CU has two (second most). Plus per Butkus awards, we have won more than any other Pac 12 school, and trail only Florida State and Oklahoma per total winners.

And...... they look very "purty" prominently displayed in the new digs! Next to some other fine hardware. I am a history Buff so that is my admission.

Per the DC search, this is going to end well :smile2:

"
No doubt program and defensive history are not the primary influences per the current job openings. Frankly, conference affiliation, facilities, and program commitment ("how and what do I get paid") are most critical to the current DC search.

But, less than 20 schools have a Thorpe, and CU has two (second most). Plus per Butkus awards, we have won more than any other Pac 12 school, and trail only Florida State and Oklahoma per total winners.

And...... they look very "purty" prominently displayed in the new digs! Next to some other fine hardware. I am a history Buff so that is my admission.

Per the DC search, this is going to end well :smile2:

Reading between the lines, it can only mean that Bill Belichick has grown tired of the NFL lifestyle and wants to finish his career returning to his DC roots while looking at the majestic views of the Flatirons in America's best college town.

Kind of nice seeing 2 of our top candidates for DC winning their bowls as interim HCs. Now it is put up or shut up time. Hopefully within a few days we know if Durkin or D Gibbs is joining the Herd or if it is someone else not on the radar. My money is still on D Gibbs.

I wanna be "Linebacker U" again. :sad1:
Love having bad ass LBs but I actually think the DL is maybe more important to turning a program around. We need to get into the backfield and disrupt plays more often. And of course in the PAC we need some bad ass secondary. Don't get me wrong, LBs are critical to the D, but the big uglies inside are critical.

Love having bad ass LBs but I actually think the DL is maybe more important to turning a program around. We need to get into the backfield and disrupt plays more often. And of course in the PAC we need some bad ass secondary. Don't get me wrong, LBs are critical to the D, but the big uglies inside are critical.

So you're saying we need good defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs? Just crazy enough to work.

So you're saying we need good defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs? Just crazy enough to work.
Yah, I really went out on a limb there didn't I? I think my point was LB U is cool, but DL maybe the key to turning the corner.

Could we also score more points than the other team? I did some quick monkey math and it looks like 94% (+/- 6% error margin in the data) of the time that a team scores the most points it wins the game. So it looks like this is a very important driver of success.

:smile2:

Impressive stat. Did you know that when the Buffs are leading at the end of regulation, we have an undefeated record??

Could we also score more points than the other team? I did some quick monkey math and it looks like 94% (+/- 6% error margin in the data) of the time that a team scores the most points it wins the game. So it looks like this is a very important driver of success.

:smile2:

Impressive stat. Did you know that when the Buffs are leading at the end of regulation, we have an undefeated record??
Is this based on just the last 3 seasons, because if that is the case the sample size may be too small to make any definitive conclusions.

On a side note, has anyone seen any news about any other candidates being considered for the UM DC position besides Durkin? All signs point to him but there must be other candidates from the NFL or college ranks being considered.

I thought i heard about Lance Anderson as a potential candidate for DC at UM. But then it got quiet and didn't really hear anything else on that.

On a side note, has anyone seen any news about any other candidates being considered for the UM DC position besides Durkin? All signs point to him but there must be other candidates from the NFL or college ranks being considered.

Football Scoop was reporting that Les Miles had been in talks with Mike Stoops (DC at OU) for the DC position at LSU. Not anything imminent but worth mentioning considering some people were saying Pendergast and Orgeron to LSU was a done deal.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Check them out on Twitter as well if you want some more thoughts on it.

Football Scoop was reporting that Les Miles had been in talks with Mike Stoops (DC at OU) for the DC position at LSU. Not anything imminent but worth mentioning considering some people were saying Pendergast and Orgeron to LSU was a done deal.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Check them out on Twitter as well if you want some more thoughts on it.
I heard that somewhere today. That would be interesting. I haven't heard much about us interviewing or having a chance with Pendergast but he was listed in our top 4 so there could be a window for us if he doesn't go to LSU. I certainly wouldn't think he'd want to spend another year off the gridiron but I would assume if it is not LSU he will still have other attractive options besides CU.

David Gibbs recently became friends with Darian Hagan on facebook.. I mean possibly just a coincidence since they played together.. But the timing.. Yes, I am this desperate for something to go on.

Last edited:
David Gibbs recently became friends with Darian Hagan on facebook.. I mean possibly just a coincidence since they played together.. But the timing.. Yes, I am this desperate for something to go on.
Twitter stalking recruits has long been accepted so FB stalking potential DC candidates seems perfectly reasonable :) Probably not a coincidence.

Not sure how credible the source is but may be getting closer to being official that Durkin is not available to CU.

Michigan Nation @RealUofmNation
Former Florida DC D.J. Durkin is expected to be named Michigans next Defensive Coordinator. Sometime next week

Back