What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
And mattison is still on staff. Harbaugh must have an absurd budget if can get all three of those guys

From phone

Well if the rumors were correct that UM was willing to offer $8m to JH and he took a reduction to have more room for a world class staff he got $3m just from that move.

Still not convinced anderson and durkin would go for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am starting to hate michigan.

schadenfreude, you owe me justice.

The west of the Mississippi argument is more about recruiting than the coaching aspect.

Duff, do you buy that argument?

I suppose it could matter to some extent for relationship with high school coaches. But MacIntyre and staff have already done good work in building some of those relationships in state. And coaches throughout the country move around all the time.

What matters most is individual relationships with the kids. And if you can connect with kids in one part of the country, you can do it elsewhere.

I believe that moving someone to new recruiting grounds puts him back a step. Not like it's something that can't be recovered from, but it's nice to have recruit relationships that you've built for a couple years and HS coach relationships that you've had for many years. But I also look at it like in business with a sales representative. If I re-organize territories or hire someone new, geography doesn't drive the decision. Put the best people in the most important markets. You can trust that they'll kick butt for you whether they're in Birmingham, Boise or Boston.

All things being equal: you want to keep a guy on his home turf / stomping grounds. Recruiting ability trumps geography, though.

Nothing new on Gibbs, but here is what is in the latest Houston Chronicle:
Will Gibbs stay?Keeping David Gibbs would be a huge step in maintaining some continuity the Cougars have achieved under the defensive coordinator, who has been the architect of one of the biggest turnarounds in the nation the past two seasons. Herman has publicly said he wants to keep Gibbs. After Friday's game, Gibbs said he would take a few days before discussing his future with Herman.
UH will make every effort to keep Gibbs, including a raise from his current $400,000 annual salary that keeps him the highest-paid assistant coach in the American Athletic Conference.

Nothing new on Gibbs, but here is what is in the latest Houston Chronicle:
[/FONT][/FONT]
I read that article earlier today as well. As you say nothing really new there. They'd probably be stupid not to make a run at keeping him but I can't see why he'd stay when he can make more $ and step back into the ring in a top tier conference. In our case, he could also reunite with his alma mater.

Sounds like Pendergast could still be in play and as I said above, I am not at all convinced Harbaugh is going to be able to get both Durkin and Anderson to join and share the responsibilities 3-ways.

Would be ironic and fortuitous (something that never seems to happen to us) that our top 3 candidates end up being available this week.

What age are Gibbs' children? Where's his wife from? Those are always two things that can change things. Gibbs may want to keep the kids settled in Houston and a long term contract may be important to him at this point.

In recruiting Texas, it basically does boil down to "do better."

With ascendant programs at Baylor, TCU, A&M, and strong improvement likely at UT what will be left for us? I know there are a lot of kids down there but it seems an incredibly hard sell to leave the state versus staying home and attending any of the above 4. And then there are SEC and P12 schools also fishing in that pool.

I think it was easier when most of the Texas schools sucked.

Not sure if UT is going to turn things around anytime soon. Their fan base seems pretty unhappy with their OC, who used to be our OC under Barnett.

With ascendant programs at Baylor, TCU, A&M, and strong improvement likely at UT what will be left for us? I know there are a lot of kids down there but it seems an incredibly hard sell to leave the state versus staying home and attending any of the above 4. And then there are SEC and P12 schools also fishing in that pool.

I think it was easier when most of the Texas schools sucked.

Gibbs may want to keep the kids settled in Houston . . .

Ugh. I find it hard to believe that a Colorado man, a man who has not only seen but lived in Boulder, could ever want to live in Houston when he had the chance to live in Colorado for equal or more money. My girlfriend comes from Houston, and I have visited there, and it really really sucks when you compare it to Colorado. Really, really, really, really sucks. I would rather live in Commerce City next to a refinery (okay, maybe that is an exaggeration). Houston is like a crummy suburb of Fort Lauderdale, only without the charm, Jai Alai, and dog tracks. I generally like your posts, Buffaholic, but the very idea that he would actually want, prefer, or choose to live in Houston, or anywhere else in that craphole state is borderline offensive, or as the P.C. folks on campus might say these days, "triggering." Yeah, I've been triggered.

Edit--My girlfriend, upon reading this post, said "there are dog tracks around Houston."

Last edited:
Someone asked Footballscoop on Twitter about the Texas Tech DC hire and they responded with "Tomorrow AM. A good one. You guys will be happy." Only ever seen Gibbs tied to that job and considering the timing... Doesn't look good.

Well it is quite likely we will know what is going on this week and possibly today or tomorrow. At the very least we should have more clarity on what is happening with our top 3 candidates. Here is what I think we know from all the media reports, etc.

D Gibbs is known to have an offer to stay at UH and they plan to up his salary. He also has a reported offer from TT and according Jeric´s post, we may know what TT is doing today. Let´s hope it is not D Gibbs, but as Jeric said, Gibbs has been the only publicly named candidate. Having said that, not sure that means that much, because we have no publicly named candidates who have had confirmed interviews in the local press (only what has been scooped behind the paywall)

C Pendergast was a top candidate for the LSU job but apparently Les has cooled on him. He was also in the running for other jobs, and some are reporting that he has not received an offer. One scoop site I reviewed speculated that he may be getting more looks in the NFL. We have no knowledge that an interview has occurred between HCMM and CP.

DJ Durkin. This is an add one. It has been reported that he got looks and probably offers from UNC, and A&M but he was holding out for UM and Harbaugh. i can´t believe he let those pass unless he was pretty sure about UM (or he felt likely CU or someone else wanted him enough to wait for him in case he lost the UM opportunity). It was reported over the weekend that Harbaugh was trying to get Durkin and Anderson (Stanford) to join. Makes great sense for Harbaugh but not for Anderson and Durkin who would be joining a staff with one current DC remaining! Latest word is that Anderson said no (no surprise there) but Durkin still looks like a highly probable lock for UM. Reports are UM will be finalizing most of the key positions this week.

In the end, if it is going to come from the top 3, odds on favorite is D Gibbs. The TT news today (if it happens) will be very interesting.

We need something new to get excited about. I'm really looking forward to an announcement on this and seeing who the new DC brings in to round out his staff.

And the accuracy of footballscoop.com is once again running at the same % as random assertions. Claim enough things and you will definitely be able to say you called it first, ignoring the great % of false claims of course.

Cracks me up as some seem to take everything as gospel.

Buddy at TTU says Gibbs was the only outside person interviewed for their DC position. He personally predicts and internal hire of Mike Smith for their DC position, but was just guessing.

According to Football Scoop, Lance Anderson is going to stay with Stanford instead of going to UM. Door is wide open for Durkin at Michigan, now, and probably takes him out of the running for CU.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop
I agree. There was no way Harbaugh would get both those guys, and Anderson IMHO was the least likely to accept it b-c it would be a "demotion " of sorts to be co-coordinator w- 2 others.

Brandon Justice @BleedBlueBJust

#Michigan reportedly out of running for Anderson as he seems to be staying at Stanford, along with S&C coach Turley. #Durkin still likely.

So, we're going to hear something today, right?

This seems to have taken longer than it should have.

Football Scoop is credible
Notsomuch. But supposedly SI tweeted Gibbs to TT as well. I must admit I am surprised by this. Was sure he would leave UH, but thought we had the inside track on him. Wonder what happened behind the scenes b-c supposedly $ wasn´t a barrier to our search. Forgetting why we all think Boulder is a way better place to live, the fact that CU is his alma mater, I would have thought that would sway him. Guess not.

Back