What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Oh. I haven’t taken that poster seriously since most ballers don’t call themselves “jerdough”.
Owner of Maroon Bell. Successful small retail business here. He’s been the primary public promoter of this initiative, and has been very cringy at times, but I assume KB, JC and others are the primary initial funding sources

A few people on social media are saying this will be program changing. I think most of those people don't realize that NIL is already prominent at most Schools

I'd love to support a NIL program or anything to get CU in the realm of competing but you still have your number one issue and that is the administration.

Owner of Maroon Bell. Successful small retail business here. He’s been the primary public promoter of this initiative, and has been very cringy at times, but I assume KB, JC and others are the primary initial funding sources
Is Maroon Bell successful? :ROFLMAO:

A few people on social media are saying this will be program changing. I think most of those people don't realize that NIL is already prominent at most Schools

I'd love to support a NIL program or anything to get CU in the realm of competing but you still have your number one issue and that is the administration.
I look at it the same way I looked at the Champions Center and everything else CU invests into.

CU will never be a football factory with rabid boosters where we outbid everyone else for talent.

Instead, what we have to invest in is making sure that everything that players care about is nice. Eliminate negatives. If we do that, CU has innate advantages with how amazing the campus, city, Denver access, and state are that those things will put us over the top with enough talent to be a consistent winner regularly seen in the Top 25.

The goals should be making that happen while driving fan experience for stadium atmosphere and revenue.

In short, we need to fix or improve a bunch of stuff so that Ralphie and the Flatirons actually matter.

I look at it the same way I looked at the Champions Center and everything else CU invests into.

CU will never be a football factory with rabid boosters where we outbid everyone else for talent.

Instead, what we have to invest in is making sure that everything that players care about is nice. Eliminate negatives. If we do that, CU has innate advantages with how amazing the campus, city, Denver access, and state are that those things will put us over the top with enough talent to be a consistent winner regularly seen in the Top 25.

The goals should be making that happen while driving fan experience for stadium atmosphere and revenue.

In short, we need to fix or improve a bunch of stuff so that Ralphie and the Flatirons actually matter.
Agreed to all of that. I think most CU fans realize the program will never be in that top 15-20 realm where programs just constantly outbid each other.

However, your School has to be all in, or at least be supportive of a successful AD. Even a large NIL program won't change that. The simple fact that CU can't bring in most transfers because of some stupid requirement the School has (not even Stanford has this) should tell you all you need to know. The School needs new leadership in the worst way for the School to progress as an institution and most certainly for their AD.

If search results are accurate, it does about $5M per year. Companies like that, if run well, can put 20-30% toward Owner Compensation + EBITDA. I'm sure there have been lean years for Jeremy when he's had to restructure and reinvest, but over the course of years he'd be comfortably wealthy.

Agreed to all of that. I think most CU fans realize the program will never be in that top 15-20 realm where programs just constantly outbid each other.

However, your School has to be all in, or at least be supportive of a successful AD. Even a large NIL program won't change that. The simple fact that CU can't bring in most transfers because of some stupid requirement the School has (not even Stanford has this) should tell you all you need to know. The School needs new leadership in the worst way for the School to progress as an institution and most certainly for their AD.
It all keeps coming back to this one dude.

1660319027775.png

Heh, I guess I don't know the financials, but been around for 6 years now and their **** is expensive AF, so I assume it's somewhat successful.

I think that, like the Champions Center, it's just a move that ensures CU is on the same level as the other middling programs around the country that are doing the same thing. This isn't going to set them apart, just get them on the same playing field as many of their peers. TTU is offering $25k for every player. SMU announced $36k for every player (football and basketball). How ambitious is this collective going to be at CU? Will it try to commit to more than that? What does USC's booster led collective decide to offer?

I would say a $5m/year commitment, for around $50k/player "salary", would be a starting point that actually sets CU apart from other mid level programs, but they would still need the ability to offer more to priority high level recruits.

It all keeps coming back to this one dude.

View attachment 53337
I'm starting to think he will die on the job instead of retiring. 😫

Amazing that he's been able to stay in that job since literally every campus group (Athletic Department, Academics, Fundraising, etc.) absolutely hates him.

For the running of the actual campus, Provost Russell Moore is the person who could likely have the biggest impact on admissions since Phil has no vision and stands for nothing except Phil. Unfortunately, I don't think Moore's performance since taking over in 2010 inspires confidence.

Interesting. He seems purely like a troll. Guess he’s just a douchebag.

Anyway, if he is successful in getting $50K per player, that would be a big win. The AD has had trouble getting those kinds of numbers regularly after the Tucker debacle.

While not super great, maybe we need to add that their girlfriends can actually get abortions here...

Interesting. He seems purely like a troll. Guess he’s just a douchebag.

Anyway, if he is successful in getting $50K per player, that would be a big win. The AD has had trouble getting those kinds of numbers regularly after the Tucker debacle.
His name is Jeremy Dougherty, hence his handle “Jerdough”. Not sure why that makes him a douchebag. Seems to be attempting to do more than 95% of people here (maybe 100%) to help the program.

I completely speculated on $50k as a number that would actually set CU apart. No idea what they are planning on pulling together.

While not super great, maybe we need to add that their girlfriends can actually get abortions here...
I don't know about that, but it probably helps with women's sports recruiting a bit. If I had a daughter that age, I wouldn't want her going off to college somewhere she couldn't get a morning after pill.

His name is Jeremy Dougherty, hence his handle “Jerdough”. Not sure why that makes him a douchebag. Seems to be attempting to do more than 95% of people here (maybe 100%) to help the program.

I completely speculated on $50k as a number that would actually set CU apart. No idea what they are planning on pulling together.
The name isn’t what I was referring to when I called him a douchebag. His tweets are my reference point.

Anyway, glad he has optimism and a willingness to flush his money down the toilet.

The name isn’t what I was referring to when I called him a douchebag. His tweets are my reference point.

Anyway, glad he has optimism and a willingness to flush his money down the toilet.
What would it take for you to be supportive of a NIL program at CU (I assume that’s what this is)?

I’ve told him I’ll be supportive of whatever this is when the school has the same support and leadership changes are made.

What would it take for you to be supportive of a NIL program at CU (I assume that’s what this is)?

I’ve told him I’ll be supportive of whatever this is when the school has the same support and leadership changes are made.
I think the mindset for a booster-driven NIL program has to be, "I don't give a fvck whether CU likes it or not, we fans are going to make damn well sure our Buffs can compete for championships."

I'm starting to think he will die on the job instead of retiring. 😫

Amazing that he's been able to stay in that job since literally every campus group (Athletic Department, Academics, Fundraising, etc.) absolutely hates him.

For the running of the actual campus, Provost Russell Moore is the person who could likely have the biggest impact on admissions since Phil has no vision and stands for nothing except Phil. Unfortunately, I don't think Moore's performance since taking over in 2010 inspires confidence.
Oh great, we have a provost who aspires to mediocre and falls short.

Would be very CU to promote him to replace a chancellor who aspires to mediocre and falls short.

I think the mindset for a booster-driven NIL program has to be, "I don't give a fvck whether CU likes it or not, we fans are going to make damn well sure our Buffs can compete for championships."
Agreed, but at some point, the AD and coaching staff has to acknowledge the collective and work with it to recruit and potentially direct more funds than the standard salary to priority recruits and current players to keep them.

Agreed, but at some point, the AD and coaching staff has to acknowledge the collective and work with it to recruit and potentially direct more funds than the standard salary to priority recruits and current players to keep them.
Just giving a check to 85 (or 115) guys isn't going to change anything other than slow down the transfers from the middle of the roster.

Like football (or other sports) at almost any level games are won by athletes who are difference makers and CU isn't going to win without those guys.

We still need to have a coaching staff willing and able to recruit the difference makers but we also have to have some level of coordination that allows the money people to direct funds toward the difference makers so they don't go someplace else that pays them substantially more.

The new era of major college football.

The NIL is just one step on the path. USC and UCLA have both been sued for unfair labor practices and the case is under review by the National Labor Relations Board, where it’s top lawyer already expressed in a memo that college athletes should be considered employees. I believe the suit will ultimately be successful, and college athletes will unionize and collectively bargain.

Of course, this will bring on a whole new set of issues including taxation for the players. It also opens up the thorny issue of who gets paid and how much. Do players negotiate individual salaries by sport and by position? Do non revenue athletes in women’s tennis get paid? If it’s just the revenue sports, then that’s going to be mostly men getting paid, which then opens up some sticky title IX issues. As employees, they can be fired. Are they kicked out of school too? They would be entitled to unemployment benefits, and could negotiate pension plans, post playing medical benefits, the works.

The universities themselves may lose their 501 3c not for profit status impacting bond financing and charitable gifts. They would also likely be responsible for concussion related and other medical issues.

You may also see some universities move the sports programs to a separate legal entity, as Gene Smith at Ohio State suggested. Who knows!

The point, though, is college sports is dead as we knew it. College football was a sham anyway, but we liked the games so went along with it. For a lot of schools, the new reality will likely mean the juice is no longer worth the squeeze, and will simply exit.

The NIL is just one step on the path. USC and UCLA have both been sued for unfair labor practices and the case is under review by the National Labor Relations Board, where it’s top lawyer already expressed in a memo that college athletes should be considered employees. I believe the suit will ultimately be successful, and college athletes will unionize and collectively bargain.

Of course, this will bring on a whole new set of issues including taxation for the players. It also opens up the thorny issue of who gets paid and how much. Do players negotiate individual salaries by sport and by position? Do non revenue athletes in women’s tennis get paid? If it’s just the revenue sports, then that’s going to be mostly men getting paid, which then opens up some sticky title IX issues. As employees, they can be fired. Are they kicked out of school too? They would be entitled to unemployment benefits, and could negotiate pension plans, post playing medical benefits, the works.

The universities themselves may lose their 501 3c not for profit status impacting bond financing and charitable gifts. They would also likely be responsible for concussion related and other medical issues.

You may also see some universities move the sports programs to a separate legal entity, as Gene Smith at Ohio State suggested. Who knows!

The point, though, is college sports is dead as we knew it. College football was a sham anyway, but we liked the games so went along with it. For a lot of schools, the new reality will likely mean the juice is no longer worth the squeeze, and will simply exit.
At the point where schools can't even pretend like players are students as well as athletes I agree with your assessment, I think a lot of schools are going to be getting out of the business.

Back