What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Sounds like something an SEC fan would say... ;)

Heh. SEC fans are stupid, but he dropped a bombshell in a press conference without telling anyone else (either in the AD or the PD) ahead of time? Either the "threats" were harmless or maybe he should be taking them more seriously.

Last edited:
Fair question thinking about this rumor......would Oregon State go down this path again? Sparkles has a lot in common with Anderson.....He's from this part of the country, he started as an HC in the Mountain West, and he's at a powerhouse and clearly isn't happy there. The more I think about that job, the more I think they're going to go hard after Jonathan Smith.

USA Today released their annual HC salary database today:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

MacIntyre is 10th in the Pac-12, but I think the raw ranking is less important than the tiers:

Rich Rod has some contract stipulation (stock options?) which is driving that big number for this season. I think 2017 is a big outlier. Tiers seem to break down as follows:

Tier 1: Shaw
Tier 2: Petersen, Whittingham, Mora
Tier 3: Graham, Leach, Taggart, Rich Rod (based on other years), MacIntyre, Andersen
Tier 4: Wilcox

Not sure where Helton ranks (info is private), but he is likely in Tier 2 or 3.

USA Today released their annual HC salary database today:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

MacIntyre is 10th in the Pac-12, but I think the raw ranking is less important than the tiers:

Rich Rod has some contract stipulation (stock options?) which is driving that big number for this season. I think 2017 is a big outlier. Tiers seem to break down as follows:

Tier 1: Shaw
Tier 2: Petersen, Whittingham, Mora
Tier 3: Graham, Leach, Taggart, Rich Rod (based on other years), MacIntyre, Andersen
Tier 4: Wilcox

Not sure where Helton ranks (info is private), but he is likely in Tier 2 or 3.
I saw that if Clemson wanted to fire Dabo before December 1st, they would be on the hook for $40m. Florida State would have to pay out $38m to Jimbo in the same scenario. You're welcome for the that worthless piece of information.

Another note, CU's buyout is a monster this year, mostly due to just extending HCMM. Should put to rest any idea that CU will be moving on anytime soon.

It is starting to look like the only time a MikMac team will be above average is when he has a Senior laden team. So relax, it is going to be a while before the cycle repeats.
The difference last year was Sefo going from a liability to an asset. MM was coach of the year because Sefo matured into an outstanding qb. Defense was excellent, but Sefo was the difference. I’m guessing the next good season is waiting for Montez to mature, which makes last week’s performance quite alarming. But also uncharacteristic - wouldn’t be surprised if Montez has an excellent game and leads the Buffs to victory over Cal, but we shall see.

The difference last year was Sefo going from a liability to an asset. MM was coach of the year because Sefo matured into an outstanding qb. Defense was excellent, but Sefo was the difference. I’m guessing the next good season is waiting for Montez to mature, which makes last week’s performance quite alarming. But also uncharacteristic - wouldn’t be surprised if Montez has an excellent game and leads the Buffs to victory over Cal, but we shall see.

Mac Mike aint leading this program anywhere ... has had all the benefits no coach before him witnessed and his recruiting is pathetic, his lackies that he keeps around are not fooling anyone, and Im pretty sure we can all put to rest the COY trophies were the results of 8 seniors and JMFL

Mac Mike aint leading this program anywhere ... has had all the benefits no coach before him witnessed and his recruiting is pathetic, his lackies that he keeps around are not fooling anyone, and Im pretty sure we can all put to rest the COY trophies were the results of 8 seniors and JMFL
I would think Mac made an impact last year, dumb to give him no credit at all.

Rumors of McElwain and Florida mutually parting ways are picking up steam. Who would Florida target? Mullen? Frost?

Oregon State seems like it would be a good landing spot for McElwain.

I think it's always slightly disgusting when teams look to fire a coach for cause unless he grossly ****ed up (think Petrino, Freeze). You made the mistake by hiring him and giving him that contract, so ****ing stand by it and don't go looking for legal loopholes because you are the one who ****ed up in first place by hiring him.

Yea definitely sounds like it

Firing him for cause won't happen. He clearly doesn't want to be there, and they'd love to get rid of him. Let them work out a number that allows him to get out of there and pursue another job........Oregon State would probably jump all over him, especially if he's willing to keep Cory Hall. Would Nebraska look at him?

Comments after the game were weird, and kind of scream frustration at something/someone on his part.....If Fisher f***s that up in some way, thats one thing. He ran it all the way back. No need to say something stupid like that.

Comments after the game were weird, and kind of scream frustration at something/someone on his part.....If Fisher f***s that up in some way, thats one thing. He ran it all the way back. No need to say something stupid like that.
And carry on about it. Regardless you never complain about points on the board.

Firing him for cause won't happen. He clearly doesn't want to be there, and they'd love to get rid of him. Let them work out a number that allows him to get out of there and pursue another job........Oregon State would probably jump all over him, especially if he's willing to keep Cory Hall. Would Nebraska look at him?

Sure they won't get off scot-free but that's their starting point and the 2 sides will end up meeting somewhere in the middle.

Back