What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Nik-Do you think NU could look at Sparkles? He seems like he'd fit in very well in Lincoln, and thats not a great job....
Based on their post-Osborne hiring patterns, I expect Nebraska to go with a defensive-minded coach who will take them back to a run-based offense.

People thinking Frost, but I see them targeting a guy like Aranda or Venables.

If nebraska has a brain they'll throw a blizzard of money at matt campbell.

And if he has a brain he'll say no and wait for a better gig.

If nebraska has a brain they'll throw a blizzard of money at matt campbell.

And if he has a brain he'll say no and wait for a better gig.

LOL its easier to recruit to Ames right now than Lincoln. Whoever takes that job has very little access to talent anywhere and has to deal with a fanbase that still thinks its the 1990s. They're going to have to change what they do to have any sort of success that involves more than second and third tier bowl games.......If I'm them, I'm talking to one of the service academy coaches/Paul Johnson first.

Good piece on what happened with McElwain at Florida: https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/10/29/16566972/jim-mcelwain-fired-florida-gators-reasons-why

Ostensibly, the reason for the termination is the irresponsible comments about death threats. But it's really not about that:

I believe in this truth about the industry of college football (and, really, big-time men’s college basketball, too): Winning is what gets you hired and keeps you employed, and losing is what gets you fired.

Everything else is noise, more or less, and it takes an atrocity or close to dislodge a winning coach — note, for example, how Art Briles survived quite some time at Baylor before being ultimately ousted for, at minimum, tolerating a culture of lawlessness, or how it took a third major scandal for Rick Pitino to finally get the boot from Louisville. Virtually anything can be excused if you win — Bobby Petrino still has a job, doesn’t he? — and thus generate money for the program, too.

When you don’t win, you are vulnerable. Your insatiability reads as insatiability, not an effort to make things better for your program. The victories of the past are just memories. Your churlishness with the media is not accepted as valid treatment of enemies of the state. The offense struggling is an indictment you cannot escape. Your body language is fodder for talk radio. The contract extension you signed just months ago becomes an albatross, not an asset. Your frustration with a stupid, cruel lie can even mean that the frustration — and not the lie — is lamented.

Jim McElwain was not winning in 2017, not to the level demanded by his job and his program and his salary. And so he was vulnerable.

How many SEC jobs are going to be open this offseason?

Ole Miss and Florida so far.
Tennessee coming soon.
Arkansas looks like it's gonna happen.
Texas A&M still has Sumlin on the hot seat.
Mullen (Miss State) and Stoops (Kentucky) could leave for bigger opportunities.

Gonna be at least 4/14 jobs changing for next year. I'll put the over/under at 5.5 for new SEC HCs in 2018.

Read something earlier tonight saying that the early signing period is likely to expedite some of these coaching decisions.

Lots of people speculating Willie Taggart to UF. Interesting that his buyout is only $3 million right now.

I would think Oregon can match anything Florida throws out, if it becomes a money game. Would be absolutely awesome if Taggert left for Florida, though!

Last edited:
Taggart would be a great choice, but I find it strange so many people basically are boiling down all of Florida's options to: Mullen, Frost, or Taggart. Obviously those three are great fits, but are they really the ONLY options?

Frank Wilson is not a fit? Mario Cristobal is not a fit?

Taggart would be a great choice, but I find it strange so many people basically are boiling down all of Florida's options to: Mullen, Frost, or Taggart. Obviously those three are great fits, but are they really the ONLY options?

I kind of doubt UF is going to consider Wilson or Christobal. Why pick a position coach or a two year G5 HC for a SEC contender? Christobal did not exactly light it up in his one and only HC gig.

I kind of doubt UF is going to consider Wilson or Christobal. Why pick a position coach or a two year G5 HC for a SEC contender? Christobal did not exactly light it up in his one and only HC gig.
Cristobal would be a pretty big sign of desperation from recruiting misses against FSU and Miami IMO.

The AD made it pretty clear that he has a more open process than fans do and that he thinks most of us are completely unrealistic in thinking like UF can just pick the coach it wants like they're grocery shopping and choose a coach off the shelf.

The only thing I'm confident in with UF's criteria is that they'll want to please fans and go back to the blueprint that has worked best there: an innovative, high-powered offense guy like Spurrier and Urban were.

Just to reset:

Open jobs:

Florida- Jim McElwain and his scavenger-of-the-sea-humping ways are shown the door. Randy Shannon takes over as interim HC.
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out.
Ole Miss- Hugh Freeze and his little black book are out.
Oregon St.- Gary Anderson- Quits/Resigns/Fired, giving everyone the finger on his way out.
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price rolls in for a repeat.

Early list of probables:

Tennessee- Food Cart all but gone. Jon Gruden, the perpetual UT candidate in the wings, along with a host of other hopefuls await.
KU- Beaty could get canned for having one of the worst FB teams in the country, which even at a BBall school like KU, eventually wears thin.
NU- The polyester faithful are warming up the tractor to run Riley out of town. AD Eichhorst already shown the barn door.
TT- Kliffy K could be gone.
Arky- Bielema could be purged faster than a buffet visit at an eating disorder clinic.
aTm- Sumlin on thin ice.
Auburn- Malzahn on a short leash, but when hasn't Auburn been about to fire their coach?
Mizzou- Barry Odom has not done well. Pinkel knew what he was doing when he abandoned ship.

Last edited:
Just to reset:

Open jobs:

Florida- Jim McElwain and his scavenger-of-the-sea-humping ways are shown the door. Randy Shannon takes over as interim HC.
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out.
Ole Miss- Hugh Freeze and his little black book are out.
Gary Anderson- Quits/Resigns/Fired, giving everyone the finger on his way out.
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price rolls in for a repeat.

Early list of probables:

Tennessee- Food Cart all but gone. Jon Gruden, the perpetual UT candidate in the wings, along with a host of other hopefuls await.
KU- Beaty could get canned for having one of the worst FB teams in the country, which even at a BBall school like KU, eventually wears thin.
NU- The polyester faithful are warming up the tractor to run Riley out of town. AD Eichhorst already shown the barn door.
TT- Kliffy K could be gone.
Arky- Bielema could be purged faster than a buffet visit at an eating disorder clinic.
aTm- Sumlin on thin ice.
Auburn- Malzahn on a short leash, but when hasn't Auburn been about to fire their coach?
Mizzou- Barry Odom has not done well. Pinkel knew what he was doing when he abandoned ship.

UCLA as well. Mora probably doesn't survive missing another bowl, especially with a first round draft pick at QB

UCLA as well. Mora probably doesn't survive missing another bowl, especially with a first round draft pick at QB
I thought about adding him, but fUCLA is 5-4 with Utah, $C, ASU and Cal left on the schedule, I think they end up at least 7-5.

Florida may end up as the highest potential job out there this year.

They have the resources and support to be a NC program, can't argue with the recruiting potential. Other top programs in state but they don't have to take second place in their recruiting area like Oregon does with SC.

The biggest obstacles to the Florida job are having Georgia and Bama in the same conference but Florida historically has been above Georgia as a program and Saban won't be at Bama forever.

UCLA can lose to anybody in the Pac 12, but they aren't good enough to beat anybody. USC is going to be an L, Utah is likely an L on the road, and we've seen what ASU and Cal can do. Let's just say they go 2-2 over the last four and end up with a 6-6 record and a spot in the Cactus or Las Vegas Bowl, I don't see how they can keep Mora around. That'd be 8-5, 4-8, 6-6 (pending bowl game) over the last 3 years for a program that has more talent than just about every team they play.

Not a bad time to make a change either, considering Oregon State might be the only other opening in the conference.

Back