What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Even if FSU wanted to part ways, his buyout is a nonstarter. Unless they have some booster who is a multi billionaire who can front 20-30 million, he is going to be there at least a few more years. Unreal what college football is becoming in regards to coaching.
It's becoming more lucrative to be a high end college coach than an NFL coach, and players actually downgrade in the facility department when they go pro. All part of the sausage factory that is college football!

You also had Rich Rod's offense as being completely figured out.

Putting aside the overreactions in this post, it would cost about $45-50 million just in buyouts to fire Fisher and hire Campbell.

Expensive lessons for their AD. My argument then and now was Fisher hadn't proven it with his own players yet but they were paying him as though he had. I'd be pretty comfortable giving that kind of money to Kirby Smart given he improved them each year and dramatically. Or the guy at Pedo-state.... etc. Fisher is paid like a superstar for having his team play up to it's talent level for one season.

As for RichRod, 10 years of fading offensive production until this kid Khalil Tate gets inserted here in Folsom. Did RichRod change anything that night in Boulder after the first series to make everyone un-figure it out?

I'm not suggesting Jimbo be fired at this point in time.
I am suggesting that they should have been a little more careful with that money when they gave it to him, because there's some trends that have been unsettling for awhile. It's not one season. Look at his conference record:

7-1
8-0
8-0
6-2
5-3
2-4 (so far)

Expensive lessons for their AD. My argument then and now was Fisher hadn't proven it with his own players yet but they were paying him as though he had. I'd be pretty comfortable giving that kind of money to Kirby Smart given he improved them each year and dramatically. Or the guy at Pedo-state.... etc. Fisher is paid like a superstar for having his team play up to it's talent level for one season.

As for RichRod, 10 years of fading offensive production until this kid Khalil Tate gets inserted here in Folsom. Did RichRod change anything that night in Boulder after the first series to make everyone un-figure it out?

Fisher took over a team which was very mediocre (7-8 wins) and proceeded to win: a conference title/BCS game in his 3rd season, the national title in his 4th season, and made the playoff in his 5th season. How is that winning with someone else's players (especially since he recruited Winston)? How is that not dramatically improving the team he took over?

Jimbo is still recruiting. After week six (most recent I looked at) his composite was 7th in the country. Duff or some others can correct me because I don't have time to go look it up but it seems that they have been recruiting well in recent years.

As Duff mentioned early it would be expected that there will be some staff changes. Get the right people and get the momentum turned around and they have the talent to be back in rankings fairly quickly.

I am suggesting that they should have been a little more careful with that money when they gave it to him, because there's some trends that have been unsettling for awhile. It's not one season. Look at his conference record:

7-1
8-0
8-0
6-2
5-3
2-4 (so far)

No denying last year was a step back and this year has been awful, but you are overestimating the program he took over.

7-1
8-0
8-0
6-2
5-3
2-4 (so far)
What am I missing here?

No denying last year was a step back and this year has been awful, but you are overestimating the program he took over.
Hurt last year not having Winston. Went through a year of growing pains developing a young QB only to lose him for the season in game 1. Tough break.

Where I think they need to fix some things is with blocking scheme. Not sure if that's a problem with the OC or the OL Coach (or both). But what they do makes it so their QB takes a beating and unless they have a guy as special as Winston to deal with that and still make accurate throws through contact, they're going to continue struggling against teams that have a good front 7.

Alright who is Sparkles? I clearly missed something.
th

This is Sparkles

Fornelli:
Hot Seat of the Week

I'm not going with a coach this week, but instead, I'm going with Tennessee athletic director John Currie. To be clear, this isn't the same kind of hot seat we normally discuss when it comes to a coach. Currie isn't about to lose his job, nor should he. He just got to Knoxville after all.

No, the reason I'm putting him on here, though, is I can't figure out what the hell he's waiting for at Tennessee. I mean, back in August, nobody in their right mind thought Florida would fire Jim McElwain before Tennessee axed Butch Jones. Hell, nobody thought that two weeks ago, yet here we are.

And after Tennessee allowed Kentucky to score with 33 seconds left on Saturday to get a 29-26 win and drop the Vols to 0-5 in the SEC this season, I thought I was going to wake up to the news of Jones' dismissal on Sunday morning.

Instead, nothing.

Now Tennessee is behind the curve as Florida -- a more attractive job within its own division -- is already on the market looking for a new coach, and Tennessee is just spinning its tires. I don't get it. What the hell could Butch Jones do at this point to save his job? Just rip the bandage off and move on, John.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...eeds-to-go-after-dan-mullen-this-time-around/

Not sure why anyone cares what a school pays their head coach, but I will say there are only 4 current head coaches in division 1 college football who have won a national title and Fisher is one of them. Yes, only 4.
Fire them all!

Hurt last year not having Winston. Went through a year of growing pains developing a young QB only to lose him for the season in game 1. Tough break.

Where I think they need to fix some things is with blocking scheme. Not sure if that's a problem with the OC or the OL Coach (or both). But what they do makes it so their QB takes a beating and unless they have a guy as special as Winston to deal with that and still make accurate throws through contact, they're going to continue struggling against teams that have a good front 7.

I'm more alarmed that they had nobody ready after Winston and nobody ready after this guy went down. Winston is 3 seasons removed.

Perhaps bad luck, but I would expect at least average QB play from Jimbo's QB and that would be good enough to make them at least competitive in the ACC, if not the 2nd best team. They have always had too much talent being one of Florida's teams.

Perhaps bad luck...
John Franklin III signed in 2013, and is now a WR at FAU. (clear miss)
John Cosentino signed in 2014, isn't very good. (clear miss)
De'Andre Johnson signed in 2015 (early enrollee) and was booted for punching a woman (clear miss)
Malik Henry signed in 2016, and promptly left FSU after 1 season for Juco.

When you have slipped to 7th of 7 in your own league, I think you're open to at least some questioning.

I'm more alarmed that they had nobody ready after Winston and nobody ready after this guy went down. Winston is 3 seasons removed.

Perhaps bad luck, but I would expect at least average QB play from Jimbo's QB and that would be good enough to make them at least competitive in the ACC, if not the 2nd best team. They have always had too much talent being one of Florida's teams.

Perhaps bad luck...
John Franklin III signed in 2013, and is now a WR at FAU. (clear miss)
John Cosentino signed in 2014, isn't very good. (clear miss)
De'Andre Johnson signed in 2015 (early enrollee) and was booted for punching a woman (clear miss)
Malik Henry signed in 2016, and promptly left FSU after 1 season for Juco.

When you have slipped to 7th of 7 in your own league, I think you're open to at least some questioning.
I thought I did call out this season's performance as bad and worthy of causing upsetness? o_O

My issue is that talk of firing or hot seat is stupid at this stage.

I thought I did call out this season's performance as bad and worthy of causing upsetness? o_O

My issue is that talk of firing or hot seat is stupid at this stage.

If FSU is dumb enough to fire Jimbo, he could probably pick his next job. I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

If FSU is dumb enough to fire Jimbo, he could probably pick his next job. I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Then you'd be ignoring some risk signs.
Some ADs should take that risk (most) and others don't need to. I'd hire him at Nebraska, but not at UF (for example).

Jimbo is not being fired folks. He's simply opened himself up to questions, that comes when you are both highly paid and not winning.

Feldman and Staples both speculating that Taggart is/should be number one on Florida's list and it would have a little bit of a "getting the band back together" with Leavitt and Cristobal coming with him. Taggart and Cristobal would definitely be a pretty dynamic recruiting duo at a school like Florida.

Feldman and Staples both speculating that Taggart is/should be number one on Florida's list and it would have a little bit of a "getting the band back together" with Leavitt and Cristobal coming with him. Taggart and Cristobal would definitely be a pretty dynamic recruiting duo at a school like Florida.
Heard the same earlier, seems like a good idea to me.

Then you'd be ignoring some risk signs.
Some ADs should take that risk (most) and others don't need to. I'd hire him at Nebraska, but not at UF (for example).

Jimbo is not being fired folks. He's simply opened himself up to questions, that comes when you are both highly paid and not winning.

Yeah I mean within reason there. What killed them just as much if not more than losing Francois was losing that game against whatever Sun Belt opponent they were supposed to play in Week 2-getting Blackmon reps in a game like that would have helped him big time.

That would be hilarious.

Taggart and Leavitt in Gainesville would be a pretty solid combo. They would win a lot of games.

And it would be hilarious.

That would be hilarious.
Huck the fuskers is fun to say, but switching first letters for **** the ducks doesn't have the same feel.

No doubt it would be funny if Oregon lost Taggart and Pepsi man, but it could also lead to a better long term fit like Wilcox or even Frost, among others.

I think Taggart stays at Oregon. Sure, Eugene is a total dump, worst city in the Pac 12 by a mile, but you can’t leave after one year. Plus, I think he builds a winner in a couple of years and can move on to a great job then.

I think Frost is the choice for UF. And I think he goes there over Nebraska.

Back