What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I think Taggart stays at Oregon. Sure, Eugene is a total dump, worst city in the Pac 12 by a mile, but you can’t leave after one year. Plus, I think he builds a winner in a couple of years and can move on to a great job then.

I think Frost is the choice for UF. And I think he goes there over Nebraska.
Why would Taggart willingly stay in Eugene if he gets a UF offer for the same or more money? UF is probably a top 5-10 job in the country.

Florida is the better job by far. Most people have trouble bailing ten months in, so I think he stays.

I am not sure leaving after one year is as unlikely as you suggest. It is unusual, but not unheard of. Lane Kiffin at UT, Todd Graham at Rice and Pitt, Bobby Petrino at WKU, Houston Nutt at Boise. Those are just recent ones off the top of my head.

If UF throws a bucket of $$$ at Taggart, and he wants to go, he gone, one year or not.

And every one of those coaches you mentioned has got a really poor reputation and is toxic to 80% of ADs.

To be clear, though, it is possible and it would make sense, but the timing is very poor.

If Florida decides that they want a specific coach they have the resources available to go after him. They have donors who will cover a buyout if needed.

Taggart isn't going to stay in Oregon if Florida comes after him. Florida is one of the few jobs that is a step up from Nike U. If he waits he may not get a better chance for a while,

And every one of those coaches you mentioned has got a really poor reputation and is toxic to 80% of ADs.
I think you overstate the matter. Graham had no problem landing his gig at ASU, and was even, according to some, on the Texas short list when Strong was hired. Petrino could not be stopped even when his adultery on a cycle ways were made known. Even Nutt and Kiffin got second (for Nutt Ole Miss) and third (for Kiffin Florida Atlantic or International, does it make a difference?) chances. It complicates matters for UF if they want Taggart, but it is hardly a bar.

It will be an interesting one to watch, and the way UF went in and abused csewe when they were after McElwain is instructive.

Yeah. Timing be damned. You get the chance to coach at Florida, you take it. Probably the best job in the SEC when you consider the ease of recruiting. If you can’t recruit to Florida, you can’t recruit.

Well, clearly I’m in the minority, but I don’t view Taggart that way. Then again, half his staff has most of their ties to the sunshine state. Basically, Taggart would come with a ready made team.

Well, clearly I’m in the minority, but I don’t view Taggart that way. Then again, half his staff has most of their ties to the sunshine state. Basically, Taggart would come with a ready made team.

I think some people are going overboard with the "He HAS to take it" narrative.

You could very well end up being right. It seems like a good fit for UF on many levels. Plus I like the thought of Uncle Phil having the headache of another hire before he heads to the child labor exploiting sweatshop in the sky....

Certain jobs are all but guaranteed success, and come with reduced expectations, thus they are the perfect jobs.

For example, the UT-Austin job was a no brainer. They were stocked with talent, but they had been so bad, that a turnaround was almost guaranteed, and only to what extent, was there a question.

Some jobs are no-win situations.

Florida right now is a very good job. They have recruited well enough to win much more than they've been winning. Expectations have been reset a bit. There's a quick-fix likelihood. Add in a couple ace recruiters and you get immediate program excitement that then couples with 2018 success and you are on your way.

This isn't Baylor 2017. Or Nebraska 2018.

He could really like his current job and does not want to leave.
Possible, but highly unlikely, IMO. Florida is a top five job. Those don’t come along very often. And even if you don’t agree that it’s top five, only a fool would argue it’s not top ten.

Possible, but highly unlikely, IMO. Florida is a top five job. Those don’t come along very often. And even if you don’t agree that it’s top five, only a fool would argue it’s not top ten.

Florida seems to come along pretty often since Spurrier left.

Taggart is being linked to a "Top 5" job with one ten-win season in his career at age 41 and you think it is imperative he take this job now?

Taggart is being linked to a "Top 5" job with one ten-win season in his career at age 41 and you think it is imperative he take this job now?
I’m not commenting on whether UF should offer him the job, only that he’d be foolish not to take it if offered.

Good point. If he is offered the job he should roll the dice to see if he has anymore 10 win seasons in him before he gets a big payday. He wouldn't want to cash in now, better to take the risk and turn the job down.

Good point. If he is offered the job he should roll the dice to see if he has anymore 10 win seasons in him before he gets a big payday. He wouldn't want to cash in now, better to take the risk and turn the job down.

If he was stuck in a dead-end job, your argument holds up.

I’m not commenting on whether UF should offer him the job, only that he’d be foolish not to take it if offered.

Florida is a good job, but Taggart would be making a sizable gamble by jumping from Oregon after one season.

You guys are quick to dismiss the "he likes his current job" argument, but he could have stayed at USF with a very good team returning if he did not like the Oregon job that much.

Florida is a good job, but Taggart would be making a sizable gamble by jumping from Oregon after one season.

You guys are quick to dismiss the "he likes his current job" argument, but he could have stayed at USF with a very good team returning if he did not like the Oregon job that much.
And Oregon didn't offer him some huge salary so it was more than just the money.

You know the Gators aren't in the Top 20 in all time wins among FBS schools, right?

I'd move them ahead of a few for sure based on the changing landscape of college football:
  • Nebraska (of course!)
  • Pittsburgh
  • Georgia Tech
  • VTech
  • WVa
  • probably Tennessee
  • many folks would put Pedo St on here
The rest could lead to some honest debate. It takes more than just being in fertile recruiting grounds to have a top program.

I’m not going to get into an argument over whether UF is a top ten program. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

I get the "he likes his current job" argument, but what's the gamble?

The Phil Knight situation also makes Oregon a gamble. At some point he is going to be out of the picture, that point is sooner than later. He will likely leave a tidy sum to the football program there but it won't be like having him sitting there with his checkbook open. Take him out of the picture and Oregon is not a financial powerhouse.

Florida doesn't have an Uncle Phil but they do have a bunch of significant donors who will continue to pour money into the program.

Every job is a "gamble." If you can lose at Texas or Notre Dame or USC you can lose anywhere but unless he just loves living in Oregon it's hard to see how the Gator job doesn't have a strong pull for him.

Taggart grew up in Florida and prior to Oregon was the coach at USF for 4 seasons. Florida is home for him.

The real question is would Florida settle for a guy who is currently 5-4 in his one season as a P5 coach and who is below .500 as a college head coach? Yes he has turned programs around but that may not be enough for those big money Florida donors.

Leaving a good job for a "great" job.
I guess I just don't get your point. Had Florida fired McElwain prior to last season, they likely would have identified Taggart as a top target. Had they offered him the job then, are you saying it would have been a gamble for him to accept it over a "good" job like Oregon?

I guess I just don't get your point. Had Florida fired McElwain prior to last season, they likely would have identified Taggart as a top target. Had they offered him the job then, are you saying it would have been a gamble for him to accept it over a "good" job like Oregon?

No. He only had the USF job at that point.

Back