What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Oklahoma is a more elite program than Florida and it’s not even close.
Yeah but 65% of coaches would still likely take the Florida job if they had the choice. It’s not about being an elite program it’s about the job that gives you the best chance to succeed.

Yeah but 65% of coaches would still likely take the Florida job if they had the choice. It’s not about being an elite program it’s about the job that gives you the best chance to succeed.
You think it’s an easier path to a title at UF than at OU? Really?

You think it’s an easier path to a title at UF than at OU? Really?
I definitely don’t think OU has an easy path to a title if that’s what you are trying to say. I just think at schools like Florida, Texas and usc you don’t look at a “path” as a serious negative to the job, you are in the best recruiting grounds in the country so you should be able to take care of that yourself.

The downfall of Nebraska's program seems like something that could easily happen at Oklahoma with one or two bad coaching hires. Unappealing, slow-growth midwestern states that have not much to get young kids excited if the football team isn't elite. Maybe that's not fair, but for some reason I can't explain I feel like Florida could weather some down years better than Oklahoma. It's almost as if Oklahoma has been able to hide how lame Oklahoma is as long as the football team is good, but once that changes the jig will be up.

The downfall of Nebraska's program seems like something that could easily happen at Oklahoma with one or two bad coaching hires. Unappealing, slow-growth midwestern states that have not much to get young kids excited if the football team isn't elite. Maybe that's not fair, but for some reason I can't explain I feel like Florida could weather some down years better than Oklahoma. It's almost as if Oklahoma has been able to hide how lame Oklahoma is as long as the football team is good, but once that changes the jig will be up.
Oklahoma has way too big of a presence in Dallas for the bottom to fall out like Nebraska though.

Oklahoma has way too big of a presence in Dallas for the bottom to fall out like Nebraska though.
Maybe, but everyone outside of CU recruits Dallas and I could see other programs ready to pounce if Oklahoma goes through a down cycle.

Maybe, but everyone outside of CU recruits Dallas and I could see other programs ready to pounce if Oklahoma goes through a down cycle.
Yeah but what I’m saying is those schools don’t have the number of alums and fans that OU does in Dallas. Not kidding it is every OU students dream to move to Dallas when they graduate and a ton of them do. It’s just a little weird, they are almost like an in state school support wise.

Yeah but what I’m saying is those schools don’t have the number of alums and fans that OU does in Dallas. Not kidding it is every OU students dream to move to Dallas when they graduate and a ton of them do. It’s just a little weird, they are almost like an in state school support wise.

Bingo.

I get that, I'm sure Dallas looks like Shangri La to a kid in Norman, but not sure how that prevents the bottom falling out of the program.

This

And for the families of recruits Norman is a long day trip to see their kids play. OU is playing multiple games each year in Texas. Parents don't see going to OU as leaving the family behind. Who wants to go to Lincoln from Texas and the corn isn't playing very often in Texas.

I think there is a fundamental flaw with Schools like Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, etc. right now. They have gigantic money boosters who have their hands in every facet of the AD. At some point, when you have down years, it eventually takes it toll on the AD and and head coaches. HC's and AD's spend so much time trying to make those big money boosters happy, I think it makes their teams suffer. When you also have a team full of players who have been told they are the most amazing athletes ever, you need a very special coach (Saban, Meyer) to keep them wanting more and functioning as a team.

A School like Oregon has all the money like the ones above, minus the boosters, issues, and crazy expectations that come with it. I could see a coach choosing an Oregon over Florida for those simple reasons. Oregon can pretty much match any price as well.

The land thieves went thru a down cycle right before stoops. They have the boosters/$'s to get a really good coach when that happens, the fertile tejass recruiting grounds, and enough history and tradition to quickly recover.

I think there is a fundamental flaw with Schools like Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, etc. right now. They have gigantic money boosters who have their hands in every facet of the AD. At some point, when you have down years, it eventually takes it toll on the AD and and head coaches. HC's and AD's spend so much time trying to make those big money boosters happy, I think it makes their teams suffer. When you also have a team full of players who have been told they are the most amazing athletes ever, you need a very special coach (Saban, Meyer) to keep them wanting more and functioning as a team.

A School like Oregon has all the money like the ones above, minus the boosters, issues, and crazy expectations that come with it. I could see a coach choosing an Oregon over Florida for those simple reasons. Oregon can pretty much match any price as well.
Ask Mark Helfrich if Oregon has crazy expectations - fired after 1 losing season 2 years removed from playing in the title game. Now he wasn't a great HC at all, but Oregon definitely has expectations.

The land thieves went thru a down cycle right before stoops. They have the boosters/$'s to get a really good coach when that happens, the fertile tejass recruiting grounds, and enough history and tradition to quickly recover.
That was 20 years ago. Nebraska is capable of returning to prominence if they hire a Bob Stoops type elite coach to turn the program around - point is I don't think Oklahoma is immune to some real prolonged lean years of they make couple bad hires that will be harder to dig out of. I could be wrong.

That was 20 years ago. Nebraska is capable of returning to prominence if they hire a Bob Stoops type elite coach to turn the program around - point is I don't think Oklahoma is immune to some real prolonged lean years of they make couple bad hires that will be harder to dig out of. I could be wrong.
You mean like UF has gone through ever since Spurrier left except for the Urban years? I doubt that will happen at OU. That school knows its business.

Last edited:

You mean like UF has gone through ever since Spurrier left except for the Urban years? I doubt that will happen at OU. That school knows its business.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to gin up a debate on which schools could and which ones couldn't weather a lean period. But what we saw from the Norman gang was some post ncaa speed bumps (iirc) followed by the Gibbs and Blake eras (neither were stellar).

It only took them 2 years to be back on top - albeit, stoops did benefit from Blakes recruits. To their credit this recovery happened when tejass, the bug eaters, and to some extent atm and CU were all still fielding good teams.

In comparison, I don't think UF can recover that quickly playing in the $ec and while recruiting against FSU, Miami, and other solid schools who have great connections in the Florida high schools.

Nebraska could return to prominence but much, much less likely. Oklahoma might as well be considered a Texas school. Nebraska is now separated from it's best recruiting grounds. They don't play in a conference that plays there, they aren't a presence there. Oklahoma plays every year in the biggest college game in Texas with the Red River game.

Nebraska has a big loyal alumni base like OU does, maybe bigger. They don't though have the big money donors like OU does.

Ever since Spurrier except the Urban Meyer years? That's like saying Alabama has been really bad the last 20 years except for the Saban years.

Florida (like Alabama before Saban) is still an elite job - Nebraska is not an elite job anymore. I feel like Oklahoma could go the way of Nebraska if they go through a long dry spell - I believe this for no particular reason other than Oklahoma sucks and I don't know why anyone would want to go to school there, or live there. I'm probably wrong, but Oklahoma feels more like Nebraska than Florida to me.

Ever since Spurrier except the Urban Meyer years? That's like saying Alabama has been really bad the last 20 years except for the Saban years.

Florida (like Alabama before Saban) is still an elite job - Nebraska is not an elite job anymore. I feel like Oklahoma could go the way of Nebraska if they go through a long dry spell - I believe this for no particular reason other than Oklahoma sucks and I don't know why anyone would want to go to school there, or live there. I'm probably wrong, but Oklahoma feels more like Nebraska than Florida to me.
Florida is a great job. One issue it has is location within its state. Where the talent is, they're generally not as popular as Miami and FSU. But there's so much talent in that state it hardly matters. But it's not a traditional power with those deeper ties a program gets from that and its facilities are just now getting up to the level of its peers. I guess most people know this, but if you go back to the pre-Spurrier days UF was not considered a great job. Better than South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Nowhere near as good of a job as Georgia and Tennessee.

Florida is a great job. One issue it has is location within its state. Where the talent is, they're generally not as popular as Miami and FSU. But there's so much talent in that state it hardly matters. But it's not a traditional power with those deeper ties a program gets from that and its facilities are just now getting up to the level of its peers. I guess most people know this, but if you go back to the pre-Spurrier days UF was not considered a great job. Better than South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Nowhere near as good of a job as Georgia and Tennessee.
I get Miami but not FSU, they are in a worse position in terms of proximity to talent in the state. Spurrier built that program to an elite level, that is like saying that FSU wasn’t anything before Bowden got there. In fact a lot of the sec schools struggled in the earlier times of colllege football. There is no doubt in my mind Florida is a better job than Tennessee and I get the Georgia love but Florida provides a lot of positives too. It is the best school academically compared to FSU and Miami, has the largest fan base, the most resources and is in the SEC which means more money to throw around. If you want to talk about lack of success look at Georgia the last 20 years.

Nebraska was a great job back then too, now not so much.

I'd probably rather have the UF job now, but historically I think Tennessee is the more prestigious job.

Ask Mark Helfrich if Oregon has crazy expectations - fired after 1 losing season 2 years removed from playing in the title game. Now he wasn't a great HC at all, but Oregon definitely has expectations.
Oh, they have expectations. Very high ones. As my point was, the Schools I mentioned above can have unrealistic expectations due to the amount of boosters they have. Oregon has 1 booster.

There were reports that Chip Kelly openly talked about not wanting to go to another college program because of this (one of the reasons he went to the NFL). I am not sure how true that is, but I can see this being a big incentive with a coach.

I'd probably rather have the UF job now, but historically I think Tennessee is the more prestigious job.
The resources and donor support is better at Tennessee than just about anywhere. Main issue is that it's not a great location for in-state recruiting as compared to peers, but the central location and border states being hotbeds mitigates that as long as the recruiting budget is large enough (which it is).

I think a big mistake they've made there has been that they've gone to regional scheduling. What differentiates them from much of the SEC is that they're more of a national recruiting program. They need to get back to playing series with UCLA and others. I'd love for the Buffs to do a series with the Vols.

When other regional teams like Clemson and Va Tech are good, Tennessee struggles.

Back